• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LuckyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I would say that I wouldn't feel under gunned with a 1911. At the same time the 1911 wouldn't be my first choice for a fighting handgun. Situation dependent I would probably go for the highest capacity handgun I could find with enough power to dispatch an enemy target. If I could get the full powered ammo the FN 5.7 is the most intriguing handgun for defense in a military type situation in my opinion.

Outside of the history of the 1911, my love for it has to do with the trigger. It makes accurate shooting so much easier compared to the super polymer pistols.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    The 1911 is still the best. In fact, I don't see any compromises in carrying a 1911. The simple fact that the design is still so popular is a testimony to its status. Unlike the other things mentioned in the OP (Model T, 1903, Wright airplane) nothing has come along that has made the 1911 obsolete. Even with the wider selection of semi-autos today nothing compares to the ergonomics, accuracy and trigger feel of a 1911.

It is also worth mentioning that the 1911 design has changed with the times. It would be disingenuous to compare any modern polymer with an old GI 1911 with small sights, spur hammer and designed for shooting ball ammo only. Today there are double stacks with a wider selection of chamberings than polymer guns. There are also more barrel length and factory options than with polymers.

Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I've owned and carried a variety of handguns on and off-duty over the last 23 years, and still prefer the 1911 over all of them, hands down. Even though my Glock 17s hold more than twice the ammo, my confidence in the stopping power of the 9mm cartridge is a little iffy, even using high-end hollow points. The Colt Commander was my issued weapon at my first police department, and I went through the Academy with it, so my training was pretty thorough. I guess that's why I'm so comfortable with it, and I can out-shoot any other gun I own with my Kimber. From my experience, in the hands of a properly trained shooter, there is no finer combat handgun in the world than a 1911. Just my opinion...

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Its a good gun; hell, a great gun. In some areas, I'm sure it out performs anything else out there. In terms of being able to customize your gun, its hard to beat a 1911 for availability of aftermarket parts.

Its powerful, reliable, accurate....its a damn fine gun.

But I think we made some good competitors for it in the past 100 years. Doesn't mean I don't like it, and doesn't mean I don't want to own one; I'm just a young gun, and not quite as sentimental about it as some of you "more experienced" gents here. ;)

us_agent

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I had 2 1911's and now have a S&W 9mm. I sure wish I had my Kimber. Sweet machine, poor decision to try something new.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    I had 2 1911's and now have a S&W 9mm. I sure wish I had my Kimber. Sweet machine, poor decision to try something new.

It's never a bad idea to try something new! Keeps the brain fresh.

But funding something new by getting rid of what you've already got? THAT'S the poor decision! :D

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I've owned and carried a variety of handguns on and off-duty over the last 23 years, and still prefer the 1911 over all of them, hands down. Even though my Glock 17s hold more than twice the ammo, my confidence in the stopping power of the 9mm cartridge is a little iffy, even using high-end hollow points. The Colt Commander was my issued weapon at my first police department, and I went through the Academy with it, so my training was pretty thorough. I guess that's why I'm so comfortable with it, and I can out-shoot any other gun I own with my Kimber. From my experience, in the hands of a properly trained shooter, there is no finer combat handgun in the world than a 1911. Just my opinion...

You can get a HI-CAP 1911:rockwoot:

AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    Another 1911 thread? If there is one thing of which I am tolerably certain in this uncertain world, you will never convince any 1911/Glock/S&W/Beretta/etc fanatic that there could be any flaw whatever with his/her favorite piece.

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    the 1911 is the hottest handgun ever, love the grip, love the trigger, love the single action carry, it points naturally, the weight makes it feel like a real gun and i can tell exactly where its pointing by feel. the 7 round mag really holds it back, a "reliable" double stack 1911 would be perfect, polymer would be cool too. None of the double stacks on the market seem to be as reliable as single stacks which is a shame.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Another 1911 thread? If there is one thing of which I am tolerably certain in this uncertain world, you will never convince any 1911/Glock/S&W/Beretta/etc fanatic that there could be any flaw whatever with his/her favorite piece.

Not true. Don't ask me to explain the psychology of it but there are certain firearms in which the fans seem to have a healthy understanding of the flaws and shortcomings of the design while fans of other firearms seem to have delusions of perfection. I think it's important to admit and understand flaws. All designs have them. Even the 1911.

GLOCKBOY said:
    It never was.....and i've owned 8 and still have 1......

Never? You think there was never a time when the 1911 was the best fighting handgun available? What about when basically the only options were double action revolvera in a smaller caliber, a very sparse selection of unproven semi-autos and the sidearm issued by the U.S. military?

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    The best...depends on what you're talking about.

Best combat, not sure. If you're talking about having to shoot ball ammo...bigger hole is better. But then again there are double stack .45 options from Glock and S&W M&P that would probably be better. (lighter, more capacity)

Weight - Very heavy compared to polymer options available, weight per round is very high.

Capacity - Poor compared to double stacks, many say 7 is plenty.

Size - Kinda on the big side compared to other carry guns, can be had with shorter frame(rounds sacraficed) or barrel, nice and thin...in that config they are well sized(4.25"bbl) for carry.

Accuracy - Very good since SA firearm, equal if not better than similar sized alternatives.

Price - Very high price compared to other SD pistols out there. $500-600 is an entry level 1911. A good one will cost a LOT more.

Reliability - Good...but not Glock or M&P autoloader good...many problems reported on the interenet...not more reliable then other offerings. Break in and customization seems to be the norm.

Ergonomics - Excellent, probably the best...many other firearms have caught up now and offer good ergonomics, interchangable backstraps to customize as well.

Functionality - Great...BUT with lots of practice...I don't think a large % of people toting a 1911 have practiced their draw nearly enough to have ingrained the muscle memory to flip off the safety in a stressful situation, and that could be life altering.

So as a whole they are a great firearm...I believe technology has passed them by though. I can't understand the wave of articles every month on the latest 1911 in all of the gun rags. It is the same firearm with one of 40 or so options creating a slightly different version of the same thing. It doesn't excite me in the least. I can't see dropping $1K+ to get a nice one. Way too heavy for carry for me. And I don't want something with a thumb safety that I might not use in a stressful situation when my life depends on it. I also prefer something with more capacity. So I haven't bought one, and most likely never will. Just not my thing. I would rather spend that kind of money on a nice old revovler.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I never warmed up to the kimber LTPII I had...

Since then converted it to 460 rowland and have had fun with it and got it just about "there." Amazing when the slide still feels like glass when racking it with a 24LB spring. Show me another gun with 9 round capacity that delivers 44 magnum performance in that size and weight.
    2u4ogap.jpg

Open carry it when I feel like open carrying. It's ccw-able but the compensator makes it a tad long if you're going to be driving or sitting a lot.

Eventually would like to grab a colt series 70 as a new CCW gun.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom