• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I was hoping to get some input from a few of you with decent experience rebuilding 1911s.

Which maker's parts do you like? C&S, Brown, EGW, Wilson, 10-8, etc? Which brand do you prefer for each part? Ignition, frame pin/spring kit, sear/hammer/sear spring, firing pin/extractor, MSH/grip safety/thumb safety, etc.

When I started my 1911 rebuild project I was intending to go with all Ed Brown parts but some friends are mentioning their preference of other brands for certain pieces.

Fitting is not an issue as I plan to be hand fitting every piece I replace.

Thanks.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I used just about all WC internal on my DE rebuild. The exceptions were an Ed Brown MSH and EGW custom bushing and flat FPS. I've used WC on several 1911s and have been happy with the results. EGW gets a lot of my business too since they do great work and are reasonable in price.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have had great results with Ed Brown parts. But my STI 1911 that AllenM is currently rebuilding for me has all EGW parts in it except for a Infinity/SVI Trigger, Koenig Low Mass Hammer, and Ed Brown Magwell.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've been really impressed with the work done by EGW. When I ordered the custom barrel bushing for my DE, one of the folks there contacted me to go over the details to make sure it was what I wanted. I had to wait about two weeks until they ran a batch of bushings but that was not an issue for me. They added my custom bushing to their normal run and when I got it, it was exactly what I was asking for. All for a measly $34. I also run an EGW angle bore bushing on my Remington to provide a skosh more clearance at the rear of the step to stop the barrel from being pulled forward with the slide. Works perfectly. That was not a custom bushing, so it was in stock and only ran me $23 IIRC.

Other than that, I've used a couple of their flat bottom FPS with good results. It's cut a bit oversize but only takes a swipe or two with a file to fit. It keeps the extractor from clocking and reduces the felt recoil by decreasing the leverage the slide has over the hammer at the initiation of slide movement.

Anyway, if you are looking for some custom stuff, they are worth checking also.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have used some S&A parts. Most of the replacement companies are pretty good. The quality is in the fitting. Stock Colt parts are pretty good when fitted by a quality gunsmith. Other than grips, I cannot think of any parts I used that I didn't at least customize the fit a little bit. I have never "dropped in" a hammer and sear of any brand.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Any experience with Brown/Wilson/EGW? Opinions on them?

Yea I have used all the above. Brown and Wilson sell different quality levels so you have to watch what you buy. EGW and Fusion only have one quality level so you get the same high quality product each time.
    The reason I like Infinity is because I have to do less work to fit them. They are still oversized but the tolerances are closer. So if you are working with a quality frame and slide a nice "gunsmith fit" is easier to achieve.

There are certain things I would buy from Wilson and ed brown but for the most part EGW is best quality/value in my opinion. Your milage may vary.

The one item that I would spend extra on is the thumb safety the cheaper ones are junk. At least ambi safeties anyway. I just did an Ed Brown yesterday that was so out of spec it was rediculous to me. It shouls have never been put in an Ed Brown bag.
    The cheaper wilsons can be the sane way.
    Wilson does sell a very nice thumb safety but it is about $160.00

Last edited:
    Top Bottom