• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Les's pistols are UBER tight, on purpose and are hand fit to get that way. Kimber's aren't. What Les does is for a different reason than what Kimber does.

I've ran into precious few Baers that FTF'ed in the first 500 rounds. But if you're using light loads or reloads, it's possible that they will due to the exceptionally tight tolerances. I've owned Baers and while I don't care for them personally, for what they are they are some of the best - that being match grade pistols. If I were shooting a bullseye match, I would want a Baer. For a defensive arm, I prefer something a little less tightly fit that's more forgiving of the ammo and environment.

As for bashing Kimber, I love that comment too. I'm pointing out issues I see with Kimber and that's not bashing. My God, have we reached such a PC state that no one can ever have a negative opinion about something without someone else getting all bent out of shape and calling you a "basher"?

I don't like Fords either, does that make me a Ford basher? I prefer Ocean Spray Cranberry juice... does that make me a basher of other brands if I say why I don't like them? I prefer Jimmy Johns and I don't care for Quizno's... they use way too much sauce. Ooops, I just bashed Quizno's.

:D

dr632

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2010
    Brown County
    I began my 1911 journey about a year ago. I was very fortunate to be around some experienced individuals that have taken me under their coaching and guidance.

If you have not already, I would suggest that you attend a few USPSA or IDPA shoots in your area and I would be surprised if one or more of the individuals present will not befriend you and help show examples.

I attend the Freetown, IN USPSA match the first Sunday of every month - a great group of folks. I think many of these individuals support other matches around the area during the other weekends.

I would have wasted a considerable amount of time and money without their guidance and coaching.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    So, jdmack, have you bought a 1911, yet ?????

I haven't bought one yet. I was in China for a few weeks in May and June so I've been kind of busy. My birthday was last week, so I got a big chunk of change in my pocket that I need to spend on a 1911.

Anybody have some suggestions on what shop in Indy has a good selection of Kimbers and Springfields?

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Plainfield Shooting Supplies in Plainfield has excellent prices on Springfield's.

Beats Bradis and every other place I've been in in this state.

I think they had Parkerized Loaded's @ $749. Bradis was high $700's, low $800's. (EDIT: I think they had it priced at $789 now that I think of it)

I just bought a new Springfield GI at Plainfield for $509+tax ($542 out the door).

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Elmore's in Greenwood has the largest 1911 collection I've seen to date. Their prices have been beating the folks down at Bradis lately, but are still a bit above PSS.

Shadownick

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Morristown, IN
    RIA

I'd say go with a Rock Island Armory (RIA). It's amazing what you get with your money when purchasing one. My friend's shoots just as well as a Kimber and for half the price. After purchasing one, you'll also have some extra cash for ammo, holster, etc. with that $700 you've got. They usually go for no more than $600. I've seen them on an average of around $400-$500, sometimes cheaper at the Indy 1500.

Top Bottom