1911 Carried hammer down (presume an empty chamber)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I was out tonight for a couple of drinks with a few friends. We were discussing guns (go figure) and happened to notice a young man at the bar near us open carrying a 1911. We pretty quickly noted that he was carrying with the hammer down, although he did at least have a mag in the gun. Wondering if he very carefully de-cocked it or if he was carrying hammer down on an empty chamber. I wasn't able to make out the exact model, but it did have a nice skeletonized hammer and the gun was polished or plated with nice grips.

Kudos for carrying, but I was really concerned with the empty chamber bit. Maybe he just recently started carrying and was going through the phase many people go through about carrying with one in the chamber? Its a 1911 for goodness sake...it was built to carry cocked and locked!! :dunno:

outnumbered

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Is there any possibility the gentleman in question was not a newb but actually carrying at Condition 1, but with a Para LDA?

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    The Para LDA is a possibility, but IMO new to guns is more likely. I had the same fears when I started carrying, and I started with a Ruger SR9c. I can't imagine starting with a 1911 and carrying cocked and locked. I'd have no problem with it now but it would have scared me to death when I first started carrying. Some people that have carried for years still won't carry cocked and locked or with a round in the chamber. It's a big mettle barrier to get over.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    The Para LDA is a possibility, but IMO new to guns is more likely. I had the same fears when I started carrying, and I started with a Ruger SR9c. I can't imagine starting with a 1911 and carrying cocked and locked. I'd have no problem with it now but it would have scared me to death when I first started carrying. Some people that have carried for years still won't carry cocked and locked or with a round in the chamber. It's a big mettle barrier to get over.

I concealed carried my 1911 with the hammer down and the chamber empty for about a week when I first got my LTCH. I agree it was intimidating thinking about carrying with it cocked and locked with the safety on, mainly because I was new to carrying and a new 1911 owner. I started carrying it cocked and locked around the house to get used to carrying that way and then started carrying it cocked and locked all the time. I don't think much about it now but had a long discussion with a co-worker who thought I was crazy carrying it that way.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Maybe he has watched too many Movies where they Draw, Rack the Slide and then start Shooting. The States that Require Classes before issuing Carry Permits May not be Wrong. Many years ago I was at H&H Firearms at the corner of State & Beacon in Ft Wayne. A customer tried returning a New Browning Hi Power, because it "didn't work right". He stated he had to pull the trigger for every shot, vs just holding the trigger till the mag was empty. He thought it was Full Auto. He had a LTCH, at that time it over road the waiting period...........:ar15:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I was out tonight for a couple of drinks with a few friends. We were discussing guns (go figure) and happened to notice a young man at the bar near us open carrying a 1911. We pretty quickly noted that he was carrying with the hammer down, although he did at least have a mag in the gun. Wondering if he very carefully de-cocked it or if he was carrying hammer down on an empty chamber. I wasn't able to make out the exact model, but it did have a nice skeletonized hammer and the gun was polished or plated with nice grips.

Kudos for carrying, but I was really concerned with the empty chamber bit. Maybe he just recently started carrying and was going through the phase many people go through about carrying with one in the chamber? Its a 1911 for goodness sake...it was built to carry cocked and locked!! :dunno:

For many years I carried a Colt (Stainless Steel) Double Eagle. It is a 45 acp loosely based on a 1911 (and looks very similar), BUT has NO safety, it has a de-cocker, and is Double / Single action! When I carried with one in the chamber I carried it in the De-cocked position. All that was required to fire was to pull the trigger. In the cocked position it has a fairly light trigger pull. I would not feel safe carrying in the coked position as there is no "locked position".

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    To get over my fear of carrying a firearm loaded when I first started carrying a few years ago, I just carried it cocked but without a round in the chamber. After about a week or so of the gun not going off and killing me, I decided it was probably safe. I guess I couldn't have looked at the millions of people that have carried on a loaded chamber or cocked and locked every single day and have for many many years. That would have been too easy.

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    Hey, stupid question. I quit the bar scene years ago but isn't alcohol and firearms a no no? Seems using a firearm with alcohol involved would be losing battle, but I guess it's better than not being able to defend yourself!

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hey, stupid question. I quit the bar scene years ago but isn't alcohol and firearms a no no? Seems using a firearm with alcohol involved would be losing battle, but I guess it's better than not being able to defend yourself!

While not a smart move there is notinging against state law of being armed and drinking in a bar.

As far as the gentleman with the hammer down 1911 this can all be figured out more than likely with this one question. Did he have a $10 nylon holster??? That will more than likely prove if he is dumb about guns or if it was a Para LDA etc. Just sayin

Ddillard

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    I have always been under the impression that the 1911 and its derivatives were made to be cocked and locked. It seems to be ineffective not to make use of the capabilities of such. I am not a newb but am also not an expert. Still learning on the curve. A very interesting read.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Maybe he has watched too many Movies where they Draw, Rack the Slide and then start Shooting. The States that Require Classes before issuing Carry Permits May not be Wrong. Many years ago I was at H&H Firearms at the corner of State & Beacon in Ft Wayne. A customer tried returning a New Browning Hi Power, because it "didn't work right". He stated he had to pull the trigger for every shot, vs just holding the trigger till the mag was empty. He thought it was Full Auto. He had a LTCH, at that time it over road the waiting period...........:ar15:

Training doesn't necessarily fix unfounded fear of carrying cocked and locked. A few years ago, I was taking an elementary gun class the Bedford Police department was conducting. (Which I recommend if you're in the area). During the range day part of the class, I overheard one of the other participants talking to his wife in a sort of exasperated/fearful tone that he just couldn't condone carrying a gun chambered and cocked. Even though the instructors discussed it, etc. he just couldn't get passed the idea it was death waiting to happen.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I have always been under the impression that the 1911 and its derivatives were made to be cocked and locked. It seems to be ineffective not to make use of the capabilities of such. I am not a newb but am also not an expert. Still learning on the curve. A very interesting read.

If you have a Kimber, read the owner's manual. If it's like mine, it says not too. I was floored when I read that. I was pretty new to guns and 1911's in particular then and had to do some asking around and research to conclude their lawyers wrote that part of their manual.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    The only time I ever carried a 1911 that wasn't cocked and locked was when I was in the Marine Corps. (And yes, I guess I'm that old. However, in my defense, it was 1986 and we were in the process of getting M9's.)

Top Bottom