• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    Bring some clear eye pro, with 1911's being taken apart etc springs and bits can go flying!

Great idea. What else are we expected to bring for this? Obviously the 1911 and parts for it. I've got a bench block, cheap set of punches, plenty of miscellaneous oils and greases. But stones, parts trays, vice? I usually only have to hammer on something with the back of a screwdriver to tap it lose.

My trigger kit came in today along with a set of links and a pin kit. Getting excited for the class!

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Great idea. What else are we expected to bring for this? Obviously the 1911 and parts for it. I've got a bench block, cheap set of punches, plenty of miscellaneous oils and greases. But stones, parts trays, vice? I usually only have to hammer on something with the back of a screwdriver to tap it lose.

My trigger kit came in today along with a set of links and a pin kit. Getting excited for the class!

Deferring to CM/AllenM on this

That said, I am planning to bring a small toolbox with basic gunsmithing tools and 1911-specific tools/jigs (the few that I have, so far). I do not plan to bring a vise.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As to tools, I would suggest any lubes you prefer to use, if you have a good set of punches and a small ball peen. Barrel bushing wrench if you have one. Any of the tools you normally use to take your 1911 down for cleaning.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    brldxme.jpg

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    For those that don't have these items I will provide fine sand paper for smoothing and polishing. Also I will provide a flat surface to polish on if you dont have a bench block that is good for this.
    If you have any 1911 specific tools feel free to bring them. I will also have stones but not enough for everyone to use simultaneously.

As mentioned earlier some strong reading glasses 3.0 or better or magnifying glasses will be highly suggested. I am probably missing something that I will think of later.
    I dont think a vise will be needed for the class.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Just putting a feeler out there to see if I might be able to catch a ride from a hotel I’ll be staying in Friday night with my wife and the little boy we took in six weeks ago. Mrs Glue is going to take him to the children’s museum while I hang out with you guys. Then she will come pick me up from the class before we head back to Elkhart. I have points for a free night at the Holiday Inn chains so we could stay pretty much anywhere north of the city, in the city or west of the city as long as it a safe area.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just putting a feeler out there to see if I might be able to catch a ride from a hotel I’ll be staying in Friday night with my wife and the little boy we took in six weeks ago. Mrs Glue is going to take him to the children’s museum while I hang out with you guys. Then she will come pick me up from the class before we head back to Elkhart. I have points for a free night at the Holiday Inn chains so we could stay pretty much anywhere north of the city, in the city or west of the city as long as it a safe area.

Let me know where you end up. If I can I will come and get you. I still have your digits.

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis

If you end up on the North side, I am up there and am happy to give you a lift to and from.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Let me know where you end up. If I can I will come and get you. I still have your digits.

If you end up on the North side, I am up there and am happy to give you a lift to and from.

Thanks guys. Right now I have a room booked in Carmel on Michigan Rd because the others either had only one bed or no cancellation policy. This place has two queen beds and I can cancel by the 29th in case something happens.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thanks guys. Right now I have a room booked in Carmel on Michigan Rd because the others either had only one bed or no cancellation policy. This place has two queen beds and I can cancel by the 29th in case something happens.

That well north of me and if J-5 will transport you most cool. If not I will come and get you sir.

Top Bottom