• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I just read about another case of galling on a DW stainless 10mm this morning. They seem to have recurring issues with this.

A stainless gun is prone to galling if you run them dry. Not everyone of them but a solid frame/slide fit piece might if not properly maintained.
    Some discussion as to metallurgy.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I mostly run lighter ammo in mine, but I do run at least a couple of mags of sig elite, which is almost fully loaded. I won’t run Underwood or Buffalo Bore in it. Mostly I runnthe cheaper plinking ammo because of cost. But it’s also lighter and less wear and tear. I inspect it whenever I clean it and so far I don’t see signs that I’m tearing it up, but then I’m sure I don’t know with the familiarity you have, what that looks like. Frame and slide show normal wear.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I mostly run lighter ammo in mine, but I do run at least a couple of mags of sig elite, which is almost fully loaded. I won’t run Underwood or Buffalo Bore in it. Mostly I runnthe cheaper plinking ammo because of cost. But it’s also lighter and less wear and tear. I inspect it whenever I clean it and so far I don’t see signs that I’m tearing it up, but then I’m sure I don’t know with the familiarity you have, what that looks like. Frame and slide show normal wear.

Another plus.
    I am not running out to buy one but I may have to stop bashing the marque.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I have only put 100 round through it, I think with a little love it should be okay and fun to shoot some times.
    Have you had any feeding issues? Some ammo just will not feed reliably. I can’t remember what ammo I was using, but it kept getting caught up on the feed ramp. Also, I bought some Tripp mags, which are usually pretty reliable in the .45 1911s in my experience. But they don’t work well at all in the RIA 10mm. Factory maks are very reliable with a wider variety of ammo for me.

ag563

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Delphi, Indiana
    I have the GI model RIA in 10mm, got it from RK guns, for $379, great gun for the price, I should have bought two of them. So far I like it, but have not shot it much, only a couple of mags through it. Will have to shoot it more to give you a better review.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Have you had any feeding issues? Some ammo just will not feed reliably. I can’t remember what ammo I was using, but it kept getting caught up on the feed ramp. Also, I bought some Tripp mags, which are usually pretty reliable in the .45 1911s in my experience. But they don’t work well at all in the RIA 10mm. Factory maks are very reliable with a wider variety of ammo for me.

I have several single stack 10mm mags but I have found the regular .45 ACP offerings to work very well loaded with 10mm. I usually use Wilson for this work but to date not a single issue mag related.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have the GI model RIA in 10mm, got it from RK guns, for $379, great gun for the price, I should have bought two of them. So far I like it, but have not shot it much, only a couple of mags through it. Will have to shoot it more to give you a better review.

Please.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Another plus.
    I am not running out to buy one but I may have to stop bashing the marque.

Well. If you ever make your way down this way, pm me. The range is just down the street from Rick’s Museum and Conversation Gallery. I’ll treat you to some range time and bring the RAI with.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My damn Kimber TLE is very picky so far on ammo type. I think it has to do with the bullet shape. It seems to like the cheap S&B because it has a rounder profile.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    My damn Kimber TLE is very picky so far on ammo type. I think it has to do with the bullet shape. It seems to like the cheap S&B because it has a rounder profile.
    That’s been my experience as well. Flatter bullets tend to feed poorly. It looks to me like they tend to hit kinda low on the feed ramp. Because of the fairy steep angle of the feed ramp, flatter bullets seem to bite more, while rounder bullets don’t. Maybe you could try some different mags which might position the bullets a little higher, or at a steeper angle to match the feed ramp better.

Well. Plus, the last few range trips I haven’t had any feeding issues with the RIA. Maybe the moving parts have gotten to know each other better. Maybe your Kimber will too.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    That’s been my experience as well. Flatter bullets tend to feed poorly. It looks to me like they tend to hit kinda low on the feed ramp. Because of the fairy steep angle of the feed ramp, flatter bullets seem to bite more, while rounder bullets don’t. Maybe you could try some different mags which might position the bullets a little higher, or at a steeper angle to match the feed ramp better.

Well. Plus, the last few range trips I haven’t had any feeding issues with the RIA. Maybe the moving parts have gotten to know each other better. Maybe your Kimber will too.
    I have read that Kimber says you have to have a 500 round break in period. I think they saw that Baer got by with that and figured they could too.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have read that Kimber says you have to have a 500 round break in period. I think they saw that Baer got by with that and figured they could too.

I will neither confirm nor deny my dislike of most anything Kimber. Nothing they sell comes anywhere close to the tolerances of a Baer.
    Nothing.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a Colt Delta Elite and love the thing. That said, I would not recommend them since it took a fair amount of money and time to get mine to the point where I'm happy with it. From the factory, it came with a very loose front bushing. EGW did a custom cut on a new one that fixed that. The factory sear was cut off and out of spec, but a full Wilson Combat Bulletproof line of internals fixed that. I was not crazy about the plastic MSH and an Ed Brown part fixed that. The heavy bead blasting on the slide and frame revealed a lot of tool marks when I started to clean it up. A lot of sanding and Cerakote by AllenM fixed that. Plus, the GI style sights (mid production type) and smooth front strap were addressed too. Out of the box, it was not a bad gun, but just not worth the money being asked by Colt.

I don't own one and have not shot one, but if I were buying an other 10mm that was not destined to be a project gun and did not want to spend DW money, that's the one I'd look at. The price point is better and I like the ramped barrel. A ramped barrel should provide better chamber support.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I have a Colt Delta Elite and love the thing. That said, I would not recommend them since it took a fair amount of money and time to get mine to the point where I'm happy with it. From the factory, it came with a very loose front bushing. EGW did a custom cut on a new one that fixed that. The factory sear was cut off and out of spec, but a full Wilson Combat Bulletproof line of internals fixed that. I was not crazy about the plastic MSH and an Ed Brown part fixed that. The heavy bead blasting on the slide and frame revealed a lot of tool marks when I started to clean it up. A lot of sanding and Cerakote by AllenM fixed that. Plus, the GI style sights (mid production type) and smooth front strap were addressed too. Out of the box, it was not a bad gun, but just not worth the money being asked by Colt.

I don't own one and have not shot one, but if I were buying an other 10mm that was not destined to be a project gun and did not want to spend DW money, that's the one I'd look at. The price point is better and I like the ramped barrel. A ramped barrel should provide better chamber support.

So it's not really a Colt Delta Elite which you love. It's a EGW/WC,EB,AllenM. :cool:

Top Bottom