• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jlong51454

Plinker
    Mar 29, 2022
    Indainapolis
    T

Thanks for the suggestion, not sure what lefty part you are referring to?
    In the second picture, the one from above showing the breech in the foreground, it looks like the stock curves slightly to the left. This would indicate that it was built for a left handed shooter. This slight curve is called cast off, it makes it so that your eye more naturally aligns with the sights of the rifle.

Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    In the second picture, the one from above showing the breech in the foreground, it looks like the stock curves slightly to the left. This would indicate that it was built for a left handed shooter. This slight curve is called cast off, it makes it so that your eye more naturally aligns with the sights of the rifle.
    Ohhhhhh.. I had no idea, learn something every day.
    It does look that way in the pics, not sure though, I'll have to pull it out and see.
    Thank you

Jlong51454

Plinker
    Mar 29, 2022
    Indainapolis
    Went to a gun show today in Dugger and brought home this silly thing.

Seller knew absolutely nothing about it, neither did the 20 or so people that stopped me as I was carrying it.

From my tiny bit of muzzleloader knowledge I assume it to be a roughly civil war era precision/benchrest rifle. Its Its ridiculously heavy, I dont have an appropriate scale at home but 15-20lbs roughly. It's missing quite a bit and rough but for the price and the novelty I picked it up.

Cannot for the life of me find any markings anywhere and not wanting to try to take it apart just yet. The set trigger is feather light but doesn't work everytime. The hexagonal bore measured 0.472.
    I dont think it's worth a ton of course, but thought it could be fun to get back in working order maybe?

Anyone has ideas of make or anything let me know.
    I just happen to be doing some research on a prospective purchase and this caught my eye. https://capandball.com/percussion-p...e-early-target-shooting-in-the-united-states/

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    It looks like it had a ting sight and looking at the muzzle it looks like it had a bullet starter. Look at finding a lock like is on it, will give you date range and maybe where it was made. The set triggers could also help in identifying it. In picture 2, top of stock looks like it slopes to the left.

Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    There were a lot of small shops that made or hand finished rifles in the muzzle loader era. There should be a makers mark somewhere on the rifle. It could be under the side plates, particularly if they were filling orders for a larger business. Nice find.

Top Bottom