• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    Went to a gun show today in Dugger and brought home this silly thing.

Seller knew absolutely nothing about it, neither did the 20 or so people that stopped me as I was carrying it.

From my tiny bit of muzzleloader knowledge I assume it to be a roughly civil war era precision/benchrest rifle. Its Its ridiculously heavy, I dont have an appropriate scale at home but 15-20lbs roughly. It's missing quite a bit and rough but for the price and the novelty I picked it up.

Cannot for the life of me find any markings anywhere and not wanting to try to take it apart just yet. The set trigger is feather light but doesn't work everytime. The hexagonal bore measured 0.472.
    I dont think it's worth a ton of course, but thought it could be fun to get back in working order maybe?

Anyone has ideas of make or anything let me know.

Attachments

• 20220312_141212.jpg
      20220312_141212.jpg
      143.5 KB · Views: 48
    • 20220312_140808.jpg
      20220312_140808.jpg
      327.2 KB · Views: 46
    • 20220312_140714.jpg
      20220312_140714.jpg
      385.8 KB · Views: 47
    • 20220312_140645.jpg
      20220312_140645.jpg
      252.9 KB · Views: 47
    • 20220312_141156.jpg
      20220312_141156.jpg
      131 KB · Views: 45

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've read about heavy rifles from various European makers used early in the civil war referred to by troops ans "pumpkin slingers". My guess was that they were referring to smooth bore muskets, but yours looks like it has rifling in the barrel.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Looks like a great project for you, hopefully the bore is good, i have found several rifles that look to be good projects then the bore is total crap, good luck and i hope it is a shooter love heavy barrel guns myself

Dec 17, 2010
    Looks like a great project for you, hopefully the bore is good, i have found several rifles that look to be good projects then the bore is total crap, good luck and i hope it is a shooter love heavy barrel guns myself
    The bore from the muzzle end looks great but the nipple is smashed so I need to pull it to get a good look through. Just been admiring the big beauty so far and haven't got into it yet. Let's hope well enough to put back together

Dec 17, 2010
    I've read about heavy rifles from various European makers used early in the civil war referred to by troops ans "pumpkin slingers". My guess was that they were referring to smooth bore muskets, but yours looks like it has rifling in the barrel.
    Hadnt seen that name "pumpkin slinger" pop up, I'll have to look into it. Even though probably civil era or even before from what I can find this was probably not a war weapon, benchrest shooting was very popular during that time period. I do think its rifling but I need to pull the nipple and get a light in there to see just what its about

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thank you for the idea, I'll look at them. I see some definite similarities but also some big differences. The more information the better.
    These fishing bobber light sticks come in handy for looking at bores that are hard to look through. I usually take one with me to gun shows. You can pick them up at Walmart. Just snap one to light it up and drop it down the bore.

1647166739659.png

Dec 17, 2010
    These fishing bobber light sticks come in handy for looking at bores that are hard to look through. I usually take one with me to gun shows. You can pick them up at Walmart. Just snap one to light it up and drop it down the bore.

View attachment 187781
    That's awesome, thank you for the idea. I usually have a little pen light but on a muzzleloader it doesnt really work out. Much appreciated

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I would drag it to the next Hamilton co Muzzlelooader Show. And walk arou d with it.
    Another option is to carch up with John Shipper, teacher engraver.
    He usually has tables at the Hamilton and Tipton shows. He has the tables full of quality muzzleloaders, you cant miss him.
    Hes about 7 ft tall.

Dec 17, 2010
    I would drag it to the next Hamilton co Muzzlelooader Show. And walk arou d with it.
    Another option is to carch up with John Shipper, teacher engraver.
    He usually has tables at the Hamilton and Tipton shows. He has the tables full of quality muzzleloaders, you cant miss him.
    Hes about 7 ft tall.
    Thank you. I appreciate it. I dont know much of anything of the muzzleloader world so anything is helpful.

Jlong51454

Plinker
    Mar 29, 2022
    Indainapolis
    There is an outfit called Deer Creek Products in Waldron Indiana that is where I go for all things muzzleloading. You may find some answers there. Is it my eyeballs or is the cast off on that shootn iron for a lefty?

Top Bottom