• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cb46184

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    May 10, 2016
    New Whiteland
    While we wait for the update on the Rifle itself from Savage to the OP, and due to not having much luck with the new advanced search using certain terms, anyone got direct experience with what ammo weight, brand, etc that their 17 HMR rifles like the best?

If anyone specifically has a Savage 93, that would be of most interest, but new to 17 HMR and got some Hornady ammo with the rifle, but will be looking for more. Doesn't have to be the same rifle, but interested in guidance on what to stay away from and what has worked well for others.
    This not from personal experience but I recall seeing a YT video and the guy mentioned surprisingly good results with the 20gr CCI FMJ ammo. I keep watching for it to be available.
    BTW, Still haven't heard anything from Savage but they do say on the website that turn-around time is 3 weeks so I'm hoping to hear something by the end of this week.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    This not from personal experience but I recall seeing a YT video and the guy mentioned surprisingly good results with the 20gr CCI FMJ ammo. I keep watching for it to be available.
    BTW, Still haven't heard anything from Savage but they do say on the website that turn-around time is 3 weeks so I'm hoping to hear something by the end of this week.
    Thanks for the info.

I'll be looking for some ammo in the near term. Will be interesting to see if either the 17 gr or the 20 gr offerings are better than the other generally. That said, I'm probably not good enough to provide reproducible results but we'll see.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    While we wait for the update on the Rifle itself from Savage to the OP, and due to not having much luck with the new advanced search using certain terms, anyone got direct experience with what ammo weight, brand, etc that their 17 HMR rifles like the best?

If anyone specifically has a Savage 93, that would be of most interest, but new to 17 HMR and got some Hornady ammo with the rifle, but will be looking for more. Doesn't have to be the same rifle, but interested in guidance on what to stay away from and what has worked well for others.
    Guy I bought a 93R17 FVSR from is a pretty squared away long range shooter. Won at least one long range rimfire match I attended.

The gent that sold me his "critter gitter" provided me with a laminated drop and windage chart out to 300 yards, based on this gun and ammo he preferred. He also sold me 700 rounds of CCI A17 ammo, apparently his favorite.

cb46184

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    May 10, 2016
    New Whiteland
    :delivery: It has arrived! Strange, but there was no repair ticket or paperwork whatsoever in the box. It was nicely packaged as if it were a brand new rifle. Obviously they replaced the stock, magazine and bottom metal. It appears the bolt is also new. I noticed the bolt feels a wee bit tighter on lock-up than I remember. They cleaned it up real nice and the serial number is the only evidence that it is the same rifle I sent them. I'll get the scope re-mounted this evening and, hopefully be able to report back tomorrow with results from the range.

Last edited:

***Ironhead***

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Morgan county
    :delivery: It has arrived! Strange, but there was no repair ticket or paperwork whatsoever in the box. It was nicely packaged as if it were a brand new rifle. Obviously they replaced the stock, magazine and bottom metal. It appears the bolt is also new. I noticed the bolt feels a wee bit tighter on lock-up than I remember. They cleaned it up real nice and the serial number is the only evidence that it is the same rifle I sent them. I'll get the scope re-mounted this evening and, hopefully be able to report back tomorrow with results from the range
    Seems to have worked out as well as can be for you. These kind of threads, as well as others, are what make this forum such a special place. Thanks to all for sharing.

cb46184

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    May 10, 2016
    New Whiteland
    Range day has been postponed due to rain. However, CCI finally has 20gr FMJ .17 HMR ammo for sale on their website so I ordered some to try out.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'd be interested to see any accuracy, ballistics and trajectory info you might note.

Always looking for the better combination. :ingo:

Last edited:

cb46184

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    May 10, 2016
    New Whiteland
    Curious, do they charge your card immediately or when they ship?
    Quote from the email from CCI:
    "A pending charge has been authorized by the credit card issuer. Pending charge includes estimated order total plus $3.00. The final actual amount will be posted to your account when your order ships."
    So yeah. I don't know what difference it makes. My take is that a "pending" charge reserves the money for them. Even though the money is technically still in your account, it is not available for you to use.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Quote from the email from CCI:
    "A pending charge has been authorized by the credit card issuer. Pending charge includes estimated order total plus $3.00. The final actual amount will be posted to your account when your order ships."
    So yeah. I don't know what difference it makes. My take is that a "pending" charge reserves the money for them. Even though the money is technically still in your account, it is not available for you to use.
    Cool, thanks for the info. Ordering now.

cb46184

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    May 10, 2016
    New Whiteland
    My Sweet 17 and I finally had our second date at the range. As you all know, the first date didn't go well. Just as things started warming up she went all "savage" and blew up on me. Maybe it was because she didn't like what I fed her. In any case I had to send her home for a few weeks but now she's back. We had our second date this morning and, I must say, it was much more pleasant.
    Kidding aside: I fired ten 5 shot groups at 50 yds. I closely inspected each and every round before loading and tapped the bullet against the bench to make sure it wasn't loose. I inspected every case after it was extracted. No misfires, no split cases, no flaws with the rifle or ammo whatsoever. The shooter has some flaws. The best I could manage was putting 4 shots in a 3/8" group but with a flier opening the group up to 3/4." (my fault, not the rifle's) I can live with that for now. I know the rifle is capable of better and I need lots of practice.
    My highest praise goes out to Savage and Hornady. Both these companies went far above and beyond any warranty to make things right with no charge to me. The only thing I paid for was shipping to them and they covered the return shipping.

Last edited:

cb46184

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    May 10, 2016
    New Whiteland
    I may have just found the reason for the fliers! I decided to remove the stock to determine what I would need to do to pillar bed the action. I was searching for the correct allen bit to fit the screw and and was surprised to find I didn't need to use a driver. I was able to remove the screw with the bit in my fingers. Fresh back from the factory and the front action screw was not even what I would call finger tight! "Well", I thought, "there's your problem!" One thing leads to another and now I think either a Boyd's Pro Varmint or an At-One would look real good on it. Decisions, decisions.

Top Bottom