• ...and so much more!
  • cb46184

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    May 10, 2016
    New Whiteland
    Warning - Long post - Two Parts
    In April of 2014 I purchased a Savage 93R17 rifle from a LGS. I bought 5 boxes of Hornady Varmint Express ammo for it at the same time. It sat in my safe for 7 years. I finally decided to fire it for the first time on April 23, 2021. After giving it a good cleaning, I headed to the range to zero the scope. I fired from the 50yd line and soon had the shots centered on the target. On a couple of the rounds there was a "delayed" firing, a split second between pulling the trigger and the round going off - somewhat like firing a flint-lock. Although concerning, the bullets hit the target and I was actually getting some half-way decent groups so I didn't worry much about it at the time. The 21st round was a complete misfire - no pop, no bang…not so unusual with rimfire so I cycled the bolt and chambered the 22nd and final round of the day.
    There was an unusually loud report (more like that of a 12ga rather than a .17 rimfire) followed by a startling blast of hot gas and particles in my face. (Thank goodness for eye protection). I was left holding a rifle with its stock split from forearm all the way through the pistol grip. The bottom metal surrounding the magazine well was ripped from the stock and the bottom of the magazine itself was blown out. Photo #1 shows the brass and bullet I recovered from the barrel.
    The first thought that crossed my mind was there must have been a barrel obstruction. Possibly the bullet from the misfire. Had it actually been a misfire or did the primer go off? I didn't hear anything but, then, I was wearing hearing protection so maybe I just didn't hear it. I couldn’t be sure. So, I began inspecting the brass laying on the shooting bench. I was surprised to find a case laying on the table with powder spilling from it so I knew that it had to be the misfired round. I thought "there's your problem!" But on closer examination I found the bullet was actually pushed down inside the case (see photo #2) so I knew that couldn't have been the problem but how did it happen? I picked up all my brass I could find and brought it home. What I found next was shocking.
    I discovered 14 out of the 16 rounds I recovered had split necks. (Who checks for that on rimfire ammo?) Then I checked the remaining 28 live rounds left in the box and found 11 of them were split. The splits were harder to see on the unfired cases but they were, indeed, split. When I pushed the bullet tip of the rounds that were split against my bench, the bullets were loose and easily slid down inside the case.
    But wait. There's more!

Attachments

• Photo#1.jpg
      Photo#1.jpg
      817.9 KB · Views: 23
    • Photo#2.jpg
      Photo#2.jpg
      260 KB · Views: 22
    • 20210424_074034.jpg
      20210424_074034.jpg
      529.4 KB · Views: 22
    Last edited:

cb46184

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    May 10, 2016
    New Whiteland
    Continued - But wait. There's more!
    I emailed Hornady's tech support describing in detail what happened and provided the lot# of the box of ammo. I had 3 more boxes of the same lot # and 1 box of a different lot #.
    Three days later I received a reply from Hornady saying their warranty was for 10 years and they could not cover ammo that was 18 years old. WHAT? So, this time I called them and luckily got connected with the "head guy". I asked him to re-read my email and to note the date of purchase. April 8, 2014. According to my math, that was only 7 years. His answer was that although I may have purchased the ammo in 2014, the lot# indicated a manufacture date of August, 2003 for one lot and September, 2003 for the other. I told him that seemed impossible because the store I bought it from didn't even open until 2009. He suggested that maybe the LGS had taken the ammo in on trade or that possibly the distributor sent them old ammo but, in either case the lot numbers don't lie. He went on to explain the history of .17 HMR ammo and that this was a well-known problem in the early years. It has to do with the fact that all .17 HMR cases are manufactured by CCI and begin life as .22 WMR. The case necks formed AFTER the priming mixture is already in place. That, of course, work hardened the brass sometimes resulting in the split necks. Back then, there was no way to anneal the brass because the primer would explode with the application of the heat required. He further explained that at some later date (2009 I think he said) CCI came up with a process of softening the brass using some sort of tumbling method (he gave it a name but I don't remember what he called it).
    I also told him that I contacted Savage and planned to send the rifle to them for inspection and repair. He said, since I had no way of knowing how old the ammo was, to send him the ammo and let him know what I hear from Savage and that he would "take care of me on the ammo and the rifle." He also mentioned that I was lucky to be dealing with Savage because they and Henry are the best in the business when it comes to customer service. He was a very nice guy to talk to.
    In the meantime, I received a response from the Savage rep stating “I apologize for the difficulties. We would be happy to inspect and as necessary, repair the firearm. Please send the firearm, along with a letter detailing the issues” There was no mention of any charge.
    So today I sent the ammo and the rifle to their respective manufacturers and will post the results when I know anything more.

Attachments

• 93R17#1.jpg
      93R17#1.jpg
      1.4 MB · Views: 33
    • 93R17#2.jpg
      93R17#2.jpg
      1.6 MB · Views: 33
    Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    They are usually very good companies to deal with.

Very interesting info on old .17HMR as I have a few cases of Hornady laying around. Going to have to check the dates on them. Thanks for sharing a great heads up!

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Splits were a known issue and I've read articles on kabooms in the HMR. I tossed some old ammo I had and fired the rest to get a fresh start.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Splits were a known issue and I've read articles on kabooms in the HMR. I tossed some old ammo I had and fired the rest to get a fresh start.
    Splits were known to those who experienced an issue or those that do some research before they buy. Thought of buying a .17 years ago but never pulled the trigger (pun intended). First time I heard of this. How many others never heard of this. Granted I am more involved in gun forums then back then.

cb46184

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    May 10, 2016
    New Whiteland
    Splits were known to those who experienced an issue or those that do some research before they buy.
    Exactly. I've watched many YT reviews of various .17HMR rifles over the years and never came across this info until my rifle blew up and I started searching specifically for the problem.

Last edited:

cb46184

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    May 10, 2016
    New Whiteland
    Does anyone know of a website that will put dates to lot# so we I can check my stock?
    Here is the only info I have found. I can not attest to the accuracy of the info. However, the Lot# of one of the boxes I sent in was J14J24 and the info on this link corresponds to what the Hornady rep told me - Sept 14, 2003. Nobody seems to know what the last 2 numbers of the lot # mean...maybe a machine number? Also, I have no idea what the year code would be after Z=2018.

cb46184

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    May 10, 2016
    New Whiteland
    My replacement ammo from Hornady is due to be delivered tomorrow and I will post the lot# of what I get. Hopefully it is of recent manufacture.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    My replacement ammo from Hornady is due to be delivered tomorrow and I will post the lot# of what I get. Hopefully it is of recent manufacture.
    With the national ammo shortage, I figure it will be fresh off the assembly line... like manufactured this year or whenever they last ran 17 HMR.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Rimfire central should be a good resource for problems with the HMR.

Stay away from gun shows. Every box I handled at a show had splits. Old garbage.

cb46184

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    May 10, 2016
    New Whiteland
    Still waiting on FedEx. They set delivery for Saturday (signature required of course) so I stayed home all day so I wouldn't miss them. They never showed up. The tracking said package was in Greenwood at 3 am <4 miles from my house. Next thing I know its shown as being scanned in Indy at 4:48 pm and delivery shown as "pending." So who knows when?

cb46184

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    May 10, 2016
    New Whiteland
    FedEx finally delivered my replacement ammo this morning! The lot# is C20C306.
    It looks like they are still using the same convention as listed on the rimfirecentral page listed above and just started over with "A" for 2019. That would mean this lot was manufactured on Mar 20, 2021. Still no idea what the digits after the year code mean.

Attachments

• 20210511_111544.jpg
      20210511_111544.jpg
      1.7 MB · Views: 3

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    While we wait for the update on the Rifle itself from Savage to the OP, and due to not having much luck with the new advanced search using certain terms, anyone got direct experience with what ammo weight, brand, etc that their 17 HMR rifles like the best?

If anyone specifically has a Savage 93, that would be of most interest, but new to 17 HMR and got some Hornady ammo with the rifle, but will be looking for more. Doesn't have to be the same rifle, but interested in guidance on what to stay away from and what has worked well for others.

Top Bottom