• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    Anyone on here have a child that just hit 16 lately? What was your increase in auto insurance price? My insurance is talking about doubling my cost. Right now I have just me and wife covered.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    yeah, it's crazy expensive anymore. Best bet is to call a few brokers or independent agents and let them price shop for you.

efd1295

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Northern IN
    Daughter just turned 16 this summer and recently went through all of this. Unfortunately, there’s no “standard” and it all depends. After many conversations with my agent, everything matters from the age/type of car to their grades. We have a SUV, but the model is listed as a “Sport”. Guess what, yep more money. Bad grades? Guess what, yep more money. No driving school? Guess what, yep more money. If you have more that two vehicles, they will probably have to be listed as primary on one of them. The new the vehicle, the more expensive.
    We settled on an ‘06 Honda Pilot. It cost me $64/month to insure her on that vehicle. I’ve talked to guys at work that have 2020 or newer vehicles for their kids and are paying upwards of $200/month for insurance.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    When I added my 16 yo son, it went from $350 to $1300 to the car he is insured on. A year later it is down to about $1000. This is every 6 months. Seems to drop a little every renewal.

Expensive for sure.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    Yeah they’re quoting me $1,600 more for her to be added. And we don’t have a third car yet, but they told me she would be on what ever the most expensive car is, which to me is bull, since she would not be driving the newest car obviously.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yeah they’re quoting me $1,600 more for her to be added. And we don’t have a third car yet, but they told me she would be on what ever the most expensive car is, which to me is bull, since she would not be driving the newest car obviously.
    Yeah, that sounds like BS. "No, she has a car. That is the car she drives. She will not be driving our new cars."

What company?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Yeah, that sounds like BS. "No, she has a car. That is the car she drives. She will not be driving our new cars."

What company?
    Agree- when my oldest son turned 16 (10 years ago), I bought the vaunted Saturn station wagon because I couldn't think of anything cheaper to insure- he was listed as the driver on that car, but could drive the others occasionally. Same for the rest of my kids. They were always listed as drivers of the Saturn. My agent told us to do that.

Now I have 2 of the 4 off of my insurance...and the sad thing? Hasn't seemed to have gone down that much. The Saturn still does daily driving duty for my second daughter at college (alternator rescue mission 2 weeks ago...don't get me started).

HHollow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    State farm was the only Ins company I could find where the teen would not increase the rates for the "other" cars,

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    State farm was the only Ins company I could find where the teen would not increase the rates for the "other" cars,
    Will they deny your claim if little Aiden or Emily nicks mom's Mercedes and wraps it around a tree?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Will they deny your claim if little Aiden or Emily nicks mom's Mercedes and wraps it around a tree?
    If you dont put the kid on your cars, yes.
    You should be able to say "My kid isnt driving my new cars. I shouldnt have to pay for him/her to." And if am stupid enough to let my kid drive my car uninsured, they shouldnt pay out.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    You should be able to say "My kid isnt driving my new cars. I shouldnt have to pay for him/her to." And if am stupid enough to let my kid drive my car uninsured, they shouldnt pay out.
    Agree. I understand why some insurers probably don't like to take your word for it. Easy for people to lie about who was driving, at least for comprehensive claims with no police report.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My insurance companies didn't allow that either at the time.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Just FYI- Normally, you can loan your car to a friend or family member as a "permissive user" and if they do not live with you, your insurance applies if there is an accident or such. However, if they live in the same household as you, there is no insurance coverage of any type if they are not on the policy.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just FYI- Normally, you can loan your car to a friend or family member as a "permissive user" and if they do not live with you, your insurance applies if there is an accident or such. However, if they live in the same household as you, there is no insurance coverage of any type if they are not on the policy.
    Well there you go. Kick your 16 year old out of the house and "loan" them your car. Problem solved! :thumbsup:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Does grandma live close?

Well grandma can become guardian at 14/15 years old and if she is retired her income is what they use to determine college grants. Her social security income is normally enough to qualify for grants. Then she is not under your roof and can drive your car as a "guest" driver.

These are the dirty tricks the rich have been playing since I saw it happen in 1983. (Back then if you had your own car you could get if PLPD pretty cheap without driving the insured cars of mom and dad.) the local doctor kids both "lived as guardians kids" with grandma. They just eat slept and lived with mom and dad. Grandma was an address.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    We own a half dozen cars, litterally. Most are full coverage with one or two just liability. When it was only my wife and me, ~550/yr (for all of the autos). Adding my oldest was ~700/yr for just him (1250 total) and that's with a good-grades discount. Ouch. My agent advised us to buy primary insurance for him on our cheapest (per the underwriter) car which is an '07 Ford Fivehundred. My agent said he'd be covered on any/all cars we own as long as his primary driver was the '07 Fivehundred. His example was, he borrows our new car, wrecks while he's driving around our town, covered. If the same new car had an accident at his college campus, which happens to be in a different town or state, the underwriter might claim we lied about his primary driver and be reluctant to pay any claims.

trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    I never added either of my two kids on my insurance. They lived with me and I loaned them a car when they needed one. My son did have an accident (rear ended, not his fault) and I was asked by my insurance about providing coverage for him. I told them it is the vehicle that is insured, not the driver. I told them I couldn't get/buy insurance for every driver I loan my car to. Either the car is insured, or the driver is. I have never purchased insurance for a driver. Maybe I was just lucky nothing ever got litigated. My insurance did pay for the damage because the other driver was un-insured.

My wife and I divorced and separated for a year or two, then got back together, and both our insurance companies tried to have us under one insurance umbrella because we lived together. Neither could explain multiple room mate living arrangements and separate insurance policies. They both relented. To this day, we still carry insurance from separate carriers.

Top Bottom