• ...and so much more!
  • INgunowner

ARC Solutions
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    Henry County
    Can better deals be found online? Yes.
    Do all of God's special children come out of their hiding places? Yes.
    (Although personally I have seen less of this behavior at recent shows.)
    Is it worth the drive and cost to experience the "atmosphere"? Yes.
    If only to laugh and have a new story to share with INGO. Come join us in a land sparsely populated with misfit toys.
    Optimistic thinking, but
    (Perhaps if the online "gold rush" continues the majority of keyboard jockies will stay away.)

indianagenius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Batesville
    The following are my impressions of the Indy 1500 from a first-timer. I arrived Saturday, 01/16/16, just before 1pm for my first visit to this show. I've been to other gun shows, just not this one. I parked across the street for $5. I waited in line for 10-15 minutes in nasty weather. I had driven an hour to get there so I wasn't going to give up and go home. There was meant to be entertainment for me and I just wanted to enjoy the experience. My background: I am an avid longrange precision rifle shooter and reloader and dabble in handguns a bit. I wasn't in the market for another firearm but thought I'd pick-up some Varget powder while there and anything else that looked good. I came with only $60 in my pocket and credit cards if needed. Anyway, the line moved pretty fast and soon I was paying my $12 entry fee. It was good to be out of the cold. Once inside, my initial impression was that the physical size of the show was not as big as expected. I noticed that there were multiple rooms and not just one big rectangular sales floor. It was quite crowded, but not unbearable. I hate crowds but was able to deal with this. Also, there was a very small percentage of people that were bringing firearms into the show, which was fine with me. There were signs stating no loaded guns, etc. posted at the entrance and a law enforcement presence just inside the show. If you brought a firearm into the show, you were going to get a wire-tie run through the action to render it unusable. I actually liked this level of safety and it made me feel better about being in a crowded indoor area with hundreds of people I didn't know and loads of guns and ammo around. All that being said, if you were a crazed, terrorist type and wanted to wreak havoc, it would be entirely possible. The security was not tight and you were simply asked if you were carrying and not searched and no metal detectors were in use. Okay, so once inside I started to wander a bit aimlessly. I didn't have a plan and really wasn't concerned with needed to see every single table, etc.. I found a seller that had a good inventory of smokeless powder and bought 1 lb. of Varget within minutes for $30, which is very reasonable and no sales tax. The seller was very friendly. In fact, everyone I met at the show was very amiable whether they were attendees or working a table. I scanned some deals onammo, but did not buy any. Prices for common, low-grade, non-match, practice ammo were quite good. If you wanted to load-up on standard FMJ, 55 gr., .223 or practice handgun ball ammo, this was your show. I was looking forward to handling some rifles that I not played with, but had an interest in. I found one of the new Ruger Precision Rifles in .243 on consignment for $1500. These have a street value of about $1000, but are new in the market and commanding top dollar. It is an interesting rifle and would be a great entry level precision rifle for a newbie to get their feetwet. The fit and finish is nowhere close to a custom rifle build, but you are not paying $3000+ either. I learned from this experience, that one of these would not be joining my collection...ever. I'll save up for my dream custom rifle. I ran into a booth selling tons of ammo cans. These things are good for multiple uses and I couldn't resist a big 50 cal. can for $7. I put my Varget powder in my ammo can and carried it like a man-purse for the balance of my visit. I stopped at the Gov. Pence table which featured a beautiful AR-10 in 6.5 Creedmoor and a lovely 50 cal.Barrett. Both were topped with top-flight Nightforce optics. These were nice weapons and the most interesting specimans (to me anyway) that I would see. I made a comment to the older gentleman manning the tableabout the Nightforce scopes and in seconds we were talking precision rifles, reloading for same, bullets, powders, etc.. He was into the same game as me. We both spoke the same language. He knew his stuff and was very enthusiastic and friendly. I never filled-out the Pence petition paperwork and he never asked me to. I don't think he really cared. BTW, Pence recently put forth a bill that would allow carrying of handguns in the state without a permit. I have an Indiana carry permit and like the system as is. The current carry permit requires a background check which is a good thing. No, it won't keep criminals from carrying, but it won't hurt. Anyway, soon I was on my way wandering about again. As I stated earlier, this show had multiple rooms. It is confusing to say the least. Ideally, a big gun show would be in one large rectangular room with a grid system, just like the large trade shows. The last time I went to a big show in Louisville at the fairgrounds, this was the set-up. It is much better for trying to cover a show in an organized, methodical manner. The Indy 1500 layout is a bit of a cluster. Just be prepared and deal with it. As an example, if you are looking for a certain booth that deals with vintage Enfield rifle parts, it will take a while to locate it. It was hard to tell which booth/table sold what items from a distance. The crowd level didn't help matters. Okay, were there great deals on new firearms to be had? I'm going to say "no", based on the prices I reviewed. I don't really think that a gun show is the place to buy a new firearm. If you know what you want, internet buying is the way to go. Best prices and no big hassle. This show might be okay for buying used or collectibles, but takes a huge amount of patience. I did see buyers filling out paperwork at the show, so purchasing a firearm was not just a matter of handing over cash and taking the weapon. Anyway, I killed a chunk of an afternoon and had some fun. I learned some things and enjoyed handling some of the rifles. I wasn't exposed to anyone that smelled awful while there. There are food smells wafting over the entire area which may provide a cover-up. If I knew then what I know now, would I still have gone...yes. Will I go to the Indy 1500 again within 5 years or so...no. Was it as good as I expected...no. It is kind of a crappy facility in a sketchy part of town and the line outside was a pain. All that being said, if you never have been, I recommend going at least once. Oh, and getting out of the show was much easier than getting in.

Last edited:

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    The following are my impressions of the Indy 1500 from a first-timer. I arrived Saturday, 01/16/16, just before 1pm for my first visit to this show. I've been to other gun shows, just not this one. I parked across the street for $5. I waited in line for 10-15 minutes in nasty weather. I had driven an hour to get there so I wasn't going to give up and go home. There was meant to be entertainment for me and I just wanted to enjoy the experience. My background: I am an avid longrange precision rifle shooter and reloader and dabble in handguns a bit. I wasn't in the market for another firearm but thought I'd pick-up some Varget powder while there and anything else that looked good. I came with only $60 in my pocket and credit cards if needed. Anyway, the line moved pretty fast and soon I was paying my $12 entry fee. It was good to be out of the cold. Once inside, my initial impression was that the physical size of the show was not as big as expected. I noticed that there were multiple rooms and not just one big rectangular sales floor. It was quite crowded, but not unbearable. I hate crowds but was able to deal with this. Also, there was a very small percentage of people that were bringing firearms into the show, which was fine with me. There were signs stating no loaded guns, etc. posted at the entrance and a law enforcement presence just inside the show. If you brought a firearm into the show, you were going to get a wire-tie run through the action to render it unusable. I actually liked this level of safety and it made me feel better about being in a crowded indoor area with hundreds of people I didn't know and loads of guns and ammo around. All that being said, if you were a crazed, terrorist type and wanted to wreak havoc, it would be entirely possible. The security was not tight and you were simply asked if you were carrying andnot searched and no metal detectors were in use. Okay, so once inside I started to wander a bit aimlessly. I didn't have a plan and really wasn't concerned with needed to see every single table, etc.. I found a seller that had a good inventory of smokeless powder and bought 1 lb. of Varget within minutes for $30, which is very reasonable and no sales tax. The seller was very friendly. In fact, everyone I met at the show was very amiable whether they were attendees or working a table. I scanned some deals onammo, but did not buy any. Prices for common, low-grade, non-match, practice ammo were quite good. If you wanted to load-up on standard FMJ, 55 gr., .223 or practice handgun ball ammo, this was your show. I was looking forward to handling some rifles that I not played with, but had an interest in. I found one of the new Ruger Precision Rifles in .243 on consignment for $1500. These have a street value of about $1000, but are new in the market and commanding top dollar. It is an interesting rifle and would be a great entry level precision rifle for a newbie to get their feetwet. The fit and finish is nowhere close to a custom rifle build, but youare not paying $3000+ either. I learned from this experience, that one of these would not be joining my collection...ever. I'll save up for my dream custom rifle. I ran into a booth selling tons of ammo cans. These things are good for multiple uses and I couldn't resist a big 50 cal. can for $7. I put my Varget powder in my ammo can and carried it like a man-purse for the balance of my visit. I stopped at the Gov. Pence table which featured a beautiful AR-10 in 6.5 Creedmoor and a lovely 50 cal.Barrett. Both were topped with top-flight Nightforce optics. These were nice weapons and the most interesting specimans (to me anyway) that I would see. I made a comment to the older gentleman manning the tableabout the Nightforce scopes and in seconds we were talking precision rifles, reloading for same, bullets, powders, etc.. He was into the same game as me. We both spoke the same language. He knew his stuff and was very enthusiastic and friendly. I never filled-out the Pence petition paperwork and he never asked me to. I don't think he really cared. BTW, Pence recently put forth a bill that would allow carrying of handguns in the state without a permit. I have an Indiana carry permit and like the system as is. The current carry permit requires a background check which is a good thing. No, it won't keep criminals from carrying, but it won't hurt. Anyway, soon I was on my way wandering about again. As I stated earlier, this show had multiple rooms. It is confusing to say the least. Ideally, a big gun show would be in one large rectangular room with a grid system, just like the large trade shows. The last time I went to a big show in Louisville at the fairgrounds, this was the set-up. It is much better for trying to cover a show in an organized, methodical manner. The Indy 1500 layout is a bit of a cluster. Just be prepared and deal with it. As an example, if you are looking for a certain booth that deals with vintage Enfield rifle parts, it will take a while to locate it. It was hard to tell which booth/table sold what items from a distance. The crowd level didn't help matters. Okay, were there great deals on new firearms to be had? I'm going to say "no", based on the prices I reviewed. I don't really think that a gun show is the place to buy a new firearm. If you know what you want, internet buying is the way to go. Best prices and no big hassle. This show might be okay for buying used or collectibles, but takes a huge amount of patience. I did see buyers filling out paperwork at the show, so purchasing a firearm was not just a matter of handing over cash and taking the weapon. Anyway, I killed a chunk of an afternoon and had some fun. I learned some things and enjoyed handling some of the rifles. I wasn't exposed to anyone that smelled awful while there. There are food smells wafting over the entire area which may provide a cover-up. If I knew then what I know now, would I still have gone...yes. Will I go to the Indy 1500 again within 5 years or so...no. Was it as good as I expected...no. It is kind of a crappy facility in a sketchy part of town and the line outside was a pain. All that being said, if you never have been, I recommend going at least once. Oh, and getting out of the show was much easier than getting in.

Runner?

indianagenius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Batesville
    Interesting username considering. :dunno:

Gentlemen,

I wrote this in MS Word then did a cut and paste into INGO. Some words got pushed together due to a software bug and I corrected most of them via edit in INGO. Don't fixate too much on the words that are run together. Just pay attention to the content. I tried to write a narrative on my experience that others might enjoy. My username is in fun. My IQ is not technically at "genius" level but I'm doing okay.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Gentlemen,

I wrote this in MS Word then did a cut and paste into INGO. Some words got pushed together due to a software bug and I corrected most of them via edit in INGO. Don't fixate too much on the words that are run together. Just pay attention to the content. I tried to write a narrative on my experience that others might enjoy. My username is in fun. My IQ is not technically at "genius" level but I'm doing okay.

It's OK.. Some don't play well with others..:rolleyes: next time throw bacon in there and all will be fine. Thanks for the post. Tim

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Gentlemen,

Don't you start with the name calling! :):

In all seriousness, the "runner" thing was a joke. We frequently have new members make a bunch of short, one-line posts to gain access to the classifieds. We describe them as making a run for the classifieds, hence being a runner. Your first post was so far opposite that the opportunity for irony presented itself. But being new, it would be easy for you not to know the code.

Welcome to INGO, and thanks for the detailed report. :ingo:

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Don't you start with the name calling! :):

In all seriousness, the "runner" thing was a joke. We frequently have new members make a bunch of short, one-line posts to gain access to the classifieds. We describe them as making a run for the classifieds, hence being a runner. Your first post was so far opposite that the opportunity for irony presented itself. But being new, it would be easy for you not to know the code.

Welcome to INGO, and thanks for the detailed report. :ingo:

This. And welcome to INGO. Actually great post just couldn't resist the irony.

dshaf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Gentlemen,

Good post. Welcome to Ingo! Sometimes you have to ignore the grammar police etc... That being said Ingo is a great site to learn, and communicate about firearms

Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    So, how does the Louisville show compare to the Indy 1500?

I went to the 1500 on Friday and I went to Louisville for the first time on Saturday. From now on, I don't really care if I miss the 1500 but now that I have been there, I will NEVER miss the Louisville show. The Parking is closer, the lighting is better, and there is a lot more room between the tables, so even when it got crowded, You could move along past folks if you so desire. AND it was almost all GUNS! No Purses, wallets, sunglasses, gimmicky holsters, candy, smoked sausage or T-shirts. Just Guns. Mostly Blue ones, not so many Black ones. I am told the show this weekend was the smaller of the two annual shows and there were more guns than I think were at the 1500.

JKEdge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    Indy
    Gentlemen,

Welcome to INGO! I too am from Batesville...live in Indy now.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Good post. Welcome to Ingo! Sometimes you have to ignore the grammar police etc... That being said Ingo is a great site to learn, and communicate about firearms

We shall not be ignored!

Except by HarleyRider.

:):

Besides, the grammar and punctuation of the post was better than a lot of stuff written here - [STRIKE]he knows what an apostrophe is for.[/STRIKE] he knows how to use an apostrophe.

Did I just end a sentence with a preposition?

Welcome to INGO IndianaGenius, glad to have you here. :ingo:

Top Bottom