• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dhnorris

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    hidden in a wall of mud
    Ford e350 or chevy? 2010 and up chevy has a six speed transmission 2008 and up fords have the one piece sparkplugs. Opinions welcome will buy one or the other tomorrow or Friday. Put that INGO opinion machine into gear

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think the Chevy is a better wheel base compared to the fords. The ford used to just extend the body out past the rear wheels a lot more giving it a not so nice appearance and dismal handling with a load. The Chevy extends the wheel base out to better cover the weight.
    I am not sure if Ford changed this flaw in the extended versions.
    I would go with the Chevy but I am a bow tie junky.

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    Our church had a Chevy -has not held up well. We now have 2 Fords -last one has V10-my wife loves the power-says the gas mileage is better than the Chevy or Ford V8.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If you are going to tow a trailer, I would recommend the Chevy on account of the wheelbase and axle position which does not invite the trailer to exercise unfavorable leverage. Otherwise, the Ford is easier to maneuver. You also have to account for comfort and personal preference, determining for yourself which one is more comfortable and agreeable to you.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Churches and other orgs across the nation were strongly encouraged by their insurance companies to give up their 15 passenger vans about five years ago. Those are some of the most unstable, accident prone vehicles you can find anywhere.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Churches and other orgs across the nation were strongly encouraged by their insurance companies to give up their 15 passenger vans about five years ago. Those are some of the most unstable, accident prone vehicles you can find anywhere.

I would have to hold their enlightened opinion suspect. I have not found them to be unstable in either passenger or cargo configuration, including while towing.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Kinda dated, but here it is:
    Rollover - CBS News

That article was written by a moron--maybe the same one who attacked the GM pickup trucks over the gas tanks that they did manage to set on fire with pyrotechnics.

Added weight in the rear does not make the rear of the vehicle lose traction and slide. Our moron must have also flunked physics.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Churches and other orgs across the nation were strongly encouraged by their insurance companies to give up their 15 passenger vans about five years ago. Those are some of the most unstable, accident prone vehicles you can find anywhere as they're generally driven by unexperienced/young/distracted drivers who needn't be driving such a large vehicle loaded/overloaded with so many people and gear.

Fixed it...

This is kind of like the huge hullabaloo over the Firestone tires + SUV rollover blame-game from several years ago. Go ahead and blame the TIRES for being overinflated, underinflated, and for causing massive overloading of the vehicle (overpowering the brakes, essentially)

:n00b:

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    We have owned the Ford 350 15 passenger window van to haul kids, their friends, dogs etc and it was Great. Everyone had their own space on vacation, lots of room to kick back. I'd Not hesitate on the Ford :yesway:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I would have to hold their enlightened opinion suspect. I have not found them to be unstable in either passenger or cargo configuration, including while towing.

I have driven the cargo versions of both the Fords and Chevy's fully loaded with my tools and gear. The Ford will maneuver a bit better in tight ares and both haul the weight very well. I prefer the wheel base on the Chevy for the hi-way as it is more stable in cross winds and serious conditions. The power both offered was close but the Chevy was quicker getting up to speed and would haul a trailer better than the Ford. I like the seating position of the Fords over the Chevy's and the Fords are built better over all. Again....cargo version of both Marque's.
    I put thousands of miles a year on what ever I am driving.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    I would stay away from any GM product until they get their 1/3 of business back from the Federal Government. As they are still owned largely by the government and with the economy being unstable I would steer towards the Ford everytime.

dhnorris

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    hidden in a wall of mud
    I put a deposit on a 2012 chevy 3500 configured like I was going to do (start with 15 passenger van, take out one of the smaller seats and move the big one forward for more luggage space). Baby number seven (Katherine) was delivered tuesday and we were out of seats. I thank you all for your input and hope that it doesn't become my bugout vehicle as we flee across the wasteland. If that happens I'll paint it black with a red stripe

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I have had lots of experience with 15 passenger vans while working for churches, and also while working for Enterprise Rent A Car. I would strongly suggest the Ford. I typically go with the GM vehicles for my personal vehicles, but when it comes to the 15 passenger vans, Ford has by far the better design. Wheel base is a consideration, but it is not the only consideration.

Ford has a better design with the seats. If you ever want to take the seats out of the Ford van, it is a simple process that one person can do. The chevy vans are a little more complicated. Turning radius is a little better with the Ford as well. And when you are considering such a long vehicle, a little bit better turning radius can make a big difference.

In my opinion, the Ford rides smoother and is more comfortable as well. Every vehicle manufacturer has its specialty. When it comes to 15 passenger vans, Ford has all other manufacturers beat hands down.

Another consideration is that the Fords hold their value much better. If you ever want to resell it, you will be better off with the Ford.

Top Bottom