• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you shoot a "child" in self defense?

• Total voters

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    WOW! Tough question...

I would like to think that I could "talk her off the ledge" if time/circumstance permitted. All the while I would have to say that my hand would be on my sidearm and my body between the threat and my loved one(s). But if it came down to myself and/or my loved one(s) or the threat, I would have to do what had to be done and try to "neutralize" the situation.

Recently, I asked myself a similar question. What about that kid who shot a fellow student some 3 blocks from our home a few weeks ago in Martinsville? What if he had headed my way with a gun in his hand? Is it easier to shoot a 15 year old boy than a 12 year old girl, both posing a threat?

norman428

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Wow.

This situation depends completely on the circumstances. How exactly is she holding the gun? Is she actually aiming? Or just pointing it in a general direction? Finger on the trigger? Is she scared? Or confident?

I'm pretty confident I could pick up any large object within reach and knock her out with it, I would much rather just hit her with something, than take her life. At 12 years old, there is still time to turn her around, just have to get out of Detroit first.

Edit: Don't get me wrong though, a person with a gun is a person with a gun, and they will be treated as such.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    For those that chose any option other than the "act like an adult, faces the adult consequences" let me ask this; would your opinion be different if it were a 12 year old child that happened to be 6' 2" 200+ pounds. I throw this in their because the word child conjures up, well you know a "child" but I've seen a lot of kids that I thought were late teens early twenties and not the pre-teens or early teens that their ages indicated.

I ask this because of a recent incident in which a child of said dimensions was savagely beaten by a "gang" of out of control cops while he was on his way to choir practice after donating a kidney to a homeless person.:laugh:

NovemberKilo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    My reaction would totally depend on the situation and what other options were available. It would also depend on the age/size of the perpetrator. As the article notes, the store owner was able to disarm her, so she obviously wasn't completely prepared or intending to pull the trigger. In this case, I'm very glad that outcome was possible.

It might sound a bit naive of me, and it certainly goes against standard gun-board bravado, but I have a hard time believing any mature adult would resort to using a firearm against an armed child before trying other options... And at 12/13, they are still very much children.

If we're talking 16-year-old gang-bangers or meth heads? My pool of "alternative options" shrinks significantly. They're bigger, more physically coordinated and more prone to following through with violent action.

But assuming this girl was of average size and average cognitive ability for a 6th or 7th grader... I'm going to do everything I can to get the gun without shooting her.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    When the 12 year old decides to steal a gun, and use it in a threatening manner, they have crossed the line into adult consequence land. I or my family will not be killed by some snot-nose punk that thinks they are hard because they got a gun. Plain and simple!

-MColford

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Hard to live with

Killing a child would twist most peoples psyche. Some past the point of defending themselves. But choosing between a strangers child and the well being of MY family. . . . . I'm gonna hope the Darwin award goes to her house for being wrong and not mine for hesitating about whether she was wrong enough to shoot. Gonna be a slow OODA loop 'cause "D" may take a full second.:dunno:

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Adult crime; adult consequences

If her age ever came up in a question in court, just tell them you thought she was a midget.

SonOfLiberty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Many soldiers have lost their lives because they hesitated when a child was holding the rifle.

This. I've heard stories far too many times from guys who nearly shot kids who were holding toy rifles, let alone real ones. I imagine a lot of children have been saved by the split second that a manual safety adds to the OODA loop. I imagine plenty of soldiers have died because of it, too.

Top Bottom