• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you shoot a "child" in self defense?

• Total voters

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    12-Year-Old Girl Holds Up Michigan Grocery Store - FoxNews.com

Looks like she stole a gun from a neighbor, held up a local store at gunpoint, then the shopkeeper disarmed her and called 911. Lucky all around - could have been much worse.

Had an interesting discussion with my wife last night about this. My question to you all (poll forthcoming): If a "child" was threatening to kill you, would you respond with deadly force?

I'll withhold my comments until some of you all have chimed in.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Damn Eldirector hard question. before your post I never thought of that. But after a few minutes of thought. I concluded:

the gun is the great equalizer, bullets travel the same velocity if shoot by a 12 year old or a 40 year old. While there is no one "perfect" answer as every situation is different. If I fear for my life, I fear for my life and will react as I see reasonable. So the short answer would have to be adult crime adult consequences.:twocents:

FWShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Reminds me of my favorite quote from Full Metal Jacket:

Pvt Joker: How can you shoot innocent women and children like that?
    Helicopter gunner: It's easy. You just don't lead them as much. You see, anyone that runs, is V.C. Anyone that stands still is well disciplined V.C. Ain't war hell?

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    As with any of these questions it depends on the totality of the circumstances.

If I reasonably believed that my life or the life of a loved on was in jeopardy, I would defend myself by reasonable means.

That said, were I alone, I'd probably take my chances that a 12 year old would not be able to hit a moving target. Also if you are the first to act, it's probably not too difficult to disarm a 12 year old girl.

At any rate, it was only a 9mm, so even if I took a bullet it would bounce off my rib.

FWShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    However; at the end of the day thinking about I think the 12 year old would scare me more than a 30 year old with a gun. The 30 year can at least somewhat rationalize his actions or knows what prison is like. The 12 year old is running off of peer pressure and the desire to be liked and at 12 if he is stealing guns and holding up stores he is probably ganged up. If he is ganged up then good chance he is trying to be accepted and see his homies talking about shooting guys and all that so for him pulling the trigger is squeeze.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Any thing which is maliciously wielding a weapon is going to fall into the same category, regardless of; age, gender, species, sentience, etc. My pistol isn't carried to kill people, it's carried to stop potentially applicable malicious intent. An armed twelve year old thief is no exception, unfortunately. It's not my responsibility to take fatal risks in hoping that the child sees the error of their ways...that was their parents' job for the last 12 years.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Anyone that threatens my safety threatens the welfare of my own wife and children. I will do whatever it takes to protect my family's well being. Whatever it takes, my family stays safe.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I think there should be a law requiring a background check before you can steal a gun. That would have stopped this crime right before it started.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I think there should be a law requiring a background check before you can steal a gun. That would have stopped this crime right before it started.

Then you get lawmakers wanting to make laws requiring licensing. License to Steal a Handgun is just another revenue generator for the state. :xmad::D

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    7 people voted "only if fired upon". What if those shots hit you or your wife and kids?

I'm sorry, but I wouldnt risk it. A bullet from a 12 year old girl is just as deadly from a terrorist.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Wow. That's a really tough question... I'd like to thin that I could disarm her given the chance, but I don't think I'm willing to take that risk unless she gets distracted or turns away from me. I still don't think I could take that risk though. Great post, OP!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We already have one. Happens to come with a badge ;)

I actually had an interesting conversation with my wife about this (Not the only one. We have lots of interesting conversations). She was at first appalled that "I would shoot a child". When asked if she would rather bury me than live with me afterward, she started to see my point.

The point? While a young person may not be fully aware of the results of their actions, when it gets to the point of me or them, I will always choose me.

That said, I would certainly look for other solutions first, but would defend myself if forced. In this article, they were able to disarm the girl, likely because they recognized her and were able to use that to their advantage. That was the best possible end to a long list of crimes (trespass, theft, illegal possession/carry, robbery, etc...).

So, my answer is "adult crimes = adult consequences". I'll second-guess your age, intentions, and willingness to take MY life only after I'm sure I'll live long enough to do so.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    If a "child" was threatening to kill you, would you respond with deadly force?

Yes...

It depends...

At 12? With a gun? If they acted as if they were really serious? Yes.

Younger? Maybe, depending on how much younger...again, along with their demeanor...:dunno:

Top Bottom