• ...and so much more!
  • chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    West side of Indy
    Hi All,

I don’t currently own a 12 gauge but I’m looking at getting one (pump or semi doesn’t matter to me). My question is of the guns on the market today, who has suggestions of the best bang for the buck?

I worry about Remington after they got bought. I’m leaning towards Mossberg 590 or 940.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'd put a want to buy add in the INGO classy's for an 870 or 1100. Maybe Benelli's also? Might even churn up some ammo deals to go with the package? See what turns up.

neycx1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2022
    Noblesville
    Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 won't let you down and won't break the bank. Might want to get something shorter if your only intended use is home defense, but these will get the job done in a pinch. Not a bad range gun either.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Hi All,

I don’t currently own a 12 gauge but I’m looking at getting one (pump or semi doesn’t matter to me). My question is of the guns on the market today, who has suggestions of the best bang for the buck?

I worry about Remington after they got bought. I’m leaning towards Mossberg 590 or 940.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

I have one of these, the Tristar Viper G2 Sporting, got it for clays and trap. Works very well. I paid $700 for it at my favorite LGS. They have a good selection of all styles.

goob469

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 / 590 are pretty much the gold standard these days. However, let me throw one more into the mix, a Winchester 1300 Defender (18 inch barrel but, it came in several different configurations) . This was the 1st firearm I bought when I turned 18 and almost 25 years later it's still running strong, fast and smooth. I have an 500 and have shoot a 870 several times, the 1300 runs faster and smoother. And if you google Winchester 1300 it has a cult following.

The 1300 was discontinued back in 2006 when FN bought Winchester. Currently there is the Winchester SXP in their product lineup that fits that niche. I can't offer a personal experience with it but, from a quick google search it seems to be adequate.

Last edited:

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    West side of Indy
    This
    Just about the most bang for your buck available, for general purpose use.
    That's not to say the 590or 940 are not great choices, just more expensive.
    Thank you for this. I’ve seen TFB review a lot of guns, and I was curious how others felt about some that I don’t have experience with.

I worry that some reviewers have never seen a bad or junk gun.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    No matter what the intended purpose is I always tell people who ask this vague question the same thing.

Mossberg security/field combo.

can't go wrong.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I detest a thick wristed shotgun for clay or feather.

Mossbergs are thick wristed.

Using a shotgun like a rifle, it doesnt matter as much, but a thin wristed gun isnt a detriment in that kind of shooting either.

Just depends on what feels best to you, and to some extent people can adapt.

Maybe some are more picky than others.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Having said that, if i had to grab a smoothbore rig to go blast deer, itd be a M500. They repeatedly outshot smoothbore 870s w a variety of foster slugs over the years.

Top safety makes it usable for lefties.

Man they are clunky rattling chunks......they work though.

With Remington ( older ) models being stupid priced, a 500 seems more reasonable.

Ive had 3 of em plus an 835. Killed a lot of deer and geese. No problems, outside of hating the feel of em.

They are not fluid for me. Thin wristed are.

Picking up a mossberg is like picking up a fencepost

On most shots maybe it doesnt matter.
    But a better feeling gun ( whatever that may be ) ....can make some shots effortless

Remington standard dims fit me very well.

Which also meant my Browning Citorit Magnum didnt work as well as my 870 express Supermag.

Bummer

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Mostly range use and general purpose. Not really a hunter and don’t expect to use it for home defense (unless I want to get really messy).
    What kind of range use?
    Shooting a 3 gun type activity takes something completely different than shooting trap, skeet or sporting clays.
    Like any other type of firearm, you get what you pay for

Top Bottom