• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueDog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    NE Indiana
    The 110 grain standard pressure 38 JHP seems like it should be an adequte round for a snub-nose, anyone have any fact or experience based opinion on this round?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Can you define "adequate" please?

It honestly means different things to different people.

Often times the velocity out of a snubby is not enough to get the hollow points to open up like they should. The same holds true for many short-barreled semi-automatic pistols, too.

I carry a +p ammo in, generally, jacketed soft point in my 642.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I carry 110gr Winchester in my .357 snubby precisely because its a snubby and I want to get enough velocity to expand the hollow point. It works. I get consistent explosive expansion in wet-pack. The bullet fragments, ripping the entire skirt off in a dozen pieces from a 2.25 inch barrel. Standard pressure .38 special should be slow enough to keep the skirt and perform properly.

You should test in wet newsprint before you count on it working properly. I have two different pistols each with the same length barrel. I have had bullets fail to open with one gun but do open properly using the other. test YOUR gun with any load you carry, don't trust other peoples results.

A five gallon bucket is $5 at the hardware store and newspaper is often available for free, just ask around for some. A full bucket will stop a .357 magnum.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Federal makes a 110 grain personal protection round designed for snub nosed .38 revolvers. I shot some of them and they are accurate and do not make a very big flash in the dark, even out of a short barrel Charter Arms undercover. As far as expansion in criminal, I never had to test them in that way. I figure the boys in the ballistics lab at Federal designed them right.

Sagamore - One

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Near Bippus
    I have abandoned the 110 and 125 bullets in snubbies because of lack of penetration and iffy expansion in favor of Speer 135 gr Gold Dots. These seem to work very well indeed .

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I carry the old Federal 38F 110gr +P round in my 642. Lucked into about 500 of them. Never bothered to chronograph them. Snappy, but controllable.

They are however, very flashy. I can't imagine the standard pressure versions are much slower. Maybe 100fps or so.

Top Bottom