• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Burger Chef was awsome. Little outlne of the Chef's hat.......heck in junior high and 9th grade we would make a salad on the side from the toppings. It was a poor man's Fudrucker's.

Also didnl't know Steak and Shake an old company.

Hey did anyone mention Jack in The Box? ( Thye may still be alive on the west coast though)

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Greenwood
    Tote A Poke chicken,Po Folks,Al Greens,Criders. Man so many good places are gone. I cant even find broasted chicken in Greenwood. And great tenderloins are rare since The Tin Star closed in Broadripple.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    If you want a great tenderloin try Nick's Kitchen in Huntington, IN. Folks come from all over the country to eat their tenderloins (and pie). Not as close as Broadripple, but likely worth the trip if you're a fan.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Not sure if it was a chain or not, but Scotty's Sandwich Junction was another place I liked growing up.

Ah, I had forgotten about that place.
    My mom would take me up to the printshop to have lunch with dad during the summer and that was one of our go to places.
    The one downtown is gone and a Walgreens is in its place if I remember the location correctly.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Its still in business, so prob off topic abit, but...
    If you've never been to Indys @ sam jones and lynhurst its worth it.

Ive never been disappointed. Great food, great atmosphere, its laid back and feels like you've stepped back a couple decades.. Same people in there everyday, makes me feel like Im back home..

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    Bonanza Steakhouse, Burger Chef, Rax. There were a lot of restaurants here on the west side of Indianapolis around the airport at one time however they've all left for the most part right along with several businesses. Don't get me wrong there still a lot left but not a great variety like there used to be. But in all honesty, the one business I missed the most, is definitely Dunkin' Donuts close to the airport, if you want it now you have to either go to the downtown location or out to Avon. Thank God Man's Grill is still here though!

Dunkin has been making a comeback over the last 5 years. I know there is one in Carmel and another in Indy at 86th and Ditch, just east of the intersection.

Here's a list of DDs in the Indy area: http://www.dunkindonuts.com/content/dunkindonuts/en/stores.html?a=46220

Last edited:

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    Ferrell's was our favoritie place in San Diego. Were they here in Indiana?

Yes, there were Farrell's in Glendale and Castleton malls. The best place ever if you had a birthday. They made a BIG deal of birthday's in the place. We used to go in and mess with them and tell them it was one of our party's birthday. never failed to cause a ruckus. :)

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    Really craving a Rax beef bacon and cheddar now. Burger Chef was also a favorite. I think there were 3 stores in Lafayette/ West Lafayette. Sambos at Tippecanoe Mall was a must for steak and eggs after a night of partying. Ground Round has been gone from Lafayette for decades, but I still remember one on East Washington in Indy? Lucky Steer was around before Ponderosa or Bonanza. They are all gone from Lafayette now.

vanguard2010

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    Fairmount
    There is still a Penguin Point in Wabash and Marion. Burger Chef, in Marion, was the place I first had tater tots back in the early 60's. Victoria Station was the place to go in Indy, for good prime rib.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Shoney's ain't dead, yet folks.

Don't confuse a local store closing with a whole franchise going kaput...

There's a Shoney's in Jasper. South side of town on 231. Immediately south of the Sleep Inn. It is the only one left in Indiana, however...

Tote A Poke chicken,Po Folks,Al Greens,Criders. Man so many good places are gone. I cant even find broasted chicken in Greenwood. And great tenderloins are rare since The Tin Star closed in Broadripple.

"Broaster" Chicken is a trade name'd process of pressure frying. MANY gas stations / convenience stores will sell pressure fried chicken. Not the big national chain stores like Speedway - but many smaller independent stores do. Down in Bargersville, the station on the NE corner of 44/144 and SR 135 sells actual Broaster chicken - if I'm not mistaken.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I think there may still be a Ponderosa in Wabash, too.
    I remember some of these restaurants. Hubby and I used to go to Chi-Chi's at least 1 or 2 times a month when there was one in Kokomo. I still remember the last time we went there, pulled up in the parking lot and were stunned to see it being demolished. :(

Top Bottom