• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Kinda reminds me of a turn in we did once where the officers/ senior NCO didn’t collect enough brass off the pistol range. They thought it was % turn in and not a one for one. So long story short the lower enlisted spent 4 hours combing the grass looking for lost 9mm cases.
    Good times

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Ran numerous explosive ranges as the NCOIC. At the end of the day there was, at times, a lot of leftover. We always had fun after the troops left blowing up many different quantities. We even recreated some Caddyshack scenes.
    At one range we were told of the limiting size of explosions allowed, and may have gotten a call from range control. Something about it being roughly 3x the allowed size.
    We were told not to turn any in but I could see where 10 pounds could have easily disappeared

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Ran numerous explosive ranges as the NCOIC. At the end of the day there was, at times, a lot of leftover. We always had fun after the troops left blowing up many different quantities. We even recreated some Caddyshack scenes.
    At one range we were told of the limiting size of explosions allowed, and may have gotten a call from range control. Something about it being roughly 3x the allowed size.
    We were told not to turn any in but I could see where 10 pounds could have easily disappeared
    The not turning anything is pretty standard. If you blow everything up or shoot every single round you don’t have to post a guard over the ammo or explosives.

smittygj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    As someone who has been involved in one of these investigations, and yes, we found the culprits, it was not fun in any way shape or form. I still use it as an example in my Fleet Sentencing Course classes that I teach to Sailors and Marines to this day.

What we had was a full carrier (CVN) on load conducted circa 2002 in the VACAPES. After we had pulled back in, I got a call from OHO (Ordnance Handling Officer) asking that I return to work immediately. He said come with me, and we walked down to XO's office, where there was also a NCIS agent. Story was, kid on DDG across from the CVN had been out in town bragging at a bar that he had C-4, and was actually showing people a 1/4 stick of it. Someone called the cops and he got turned in. He claimed it came from our ship (the CVN) and he said he got it from a GM2 on our boat. GM2 wasn't talking and lawyered up. So we went down and inventoried. First inventory came up 100%. Second inventory came up 100%. So OHO asked me what we should do. I said open up anything marked as a 'light box' (previously opened) and inventory. Second box we opened said 20 and only had 10. Turns out, GMSN took C-4 from the light box and then reseaed it with GM2's crimper, and no one was the wiser.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I ordered something once in the AF supply system. supply called when it was on the way and asked if I really wanted an M60A3 tank...well, no...but yes...by really no...but yes really I do...but for legality no...dammit
    National Stock Numbers (NSNs) can be tricky. Transpose a couple numbers and the new front tire for the shop's 3-wheeled bicycle you think you ordered turns out to be a tire for the all-terrain fork lift.

We had three M60 tanks (with bulldozer blades) at K-2 (Taegu Air Base, ROK) back in the day. Seems like they had vehicle registration numbers like all our other WRM vehicles, that means they got an NSN and with an NSN you can try to order it.

IndyTim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    National Stock Numbers (NSNs) can be tricky. Transpose a couple numbers and the new front tire for the shop's 3-wheeled bicycle you think you ordered turns out to be a tire for the all-terrain fork lift.

We had three M60 tanks (with bulldozer blades) at K-2 (Taegu Air Base, ROK) back in the day. Seems like they had vehicle registration numbers like all our other WRM vehicles, that means they got an NSN and with an NSN you can try to order it.

566671356f80add8b5dc3d3b176efe0f.jpg

Are you referring to the M-728 Combat Engineer’s Vehicle? Or just a plain ol’ M-60?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    OK, I did not realize that was a thing. I was a crewman on the CEV back in the 90’s.
    34c0aa930f484fbeabec6c46efa6de54.jpg
    That's it!! When they left by rail car from K2 one of the Transportation guys was driving, I sat up in the commanders turret and yelled when he was on the sidewalk. Not many USAF dudes can say they rode in a tank ;)

IndyTim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    That's it!! When they left by rail car from K2 one of the Transportation guys was driving, I sat up in the commanders turret and yelled when he was on the sidewalk. Not many USAF dudes can say they rode in a tank ;)

I’d say you did a bit more than ride in one. You commanded a tank!

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I ordered something once in the AF supply system. supply called when it was on the way and asked if I really wanted an M60A3 tank...well, no...but yes...by really no...but yes really I do...but for legality no...dammit
    We had a Supply NCO order a complete F-4D Phantom once. The Base Commander wasn't entertained by this in the least !

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    We had a Supply NCO order a complete F-4D Phantom once. The Base Commander wasn't entertained by this in the least !
    We ordered a deck gun for the submarine.
    Couldn't believe they were still in the system.
    Officers weren't happy with how far the chit went up the chain before someone actually read what it was for.

Top Bottom