• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dboz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Greenwood
    So, I put a threaded 16 inch heavy barrel on my Ruger 10/22 for use with my TAC65 Suppressor. I have used this suppressor on a Walther P22 and a 1911 w/Conversion kit and had awesome results. When I fire the 10/22 with the suppressor, it is horribly loud. The firearm seems quiter without the suppressor than with it. I have only ever shot .22LR and .45ACP through suppressors, and it was always through handguns. The only thing I can think is that the extra barrel length is causing the rounds to go supersonic, and that I am hearing a ballistic crack. Would sub-sonic .22 rounds solve my problem? What do you think?

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    those more in the know correct me if I'm wrong but if the bullet is subsonic the rifle barrel won't cause it to go supersonic. my zephyr xl is quiet as all get out with subs, a little louder with supers but still quiet.(on a 10/22)

Boomstick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    Super-sonic crack is easy to tell. It literally cracks. Most pistols will not cause High velocity ammo to break the sound barrier (roughly 1080fps depending on temp, elevation, etc) For instance my Ruger MKII is quiet with CCI mini-mag, my rifle will crack with it. Buy standard or sub sonic and your problem will be solved

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Regardless of the ammo, it should NOT be louder with the can on than it is with the can off. If that's actually true, then maybe you're getting baffle strikes or something.

I shoot a 10/22 with a similar barrel and a Tac65 and even with standard velocity ammo, it's pretty freakin' quiet.

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    So, I put a threaded 16 inch heavy barrel on my Ruger 10/22 for use with my TAC65 Suppressor. I have used this suppressor on a Walther P22 and a 1911 w/Conversion kit and had awesome results. When I fire the 10/22 with the suppressor, it is horribly loud. The firearm seems quiter without the suppressor than with it. I have only ever shot .22LR and .45ACP through suppressors, and it was always through handguns. The only thing I can think is that the extra barrel length is causing the rounds to go supersonic, and that I am hearing a ballistic crack. Would sub-sonic .22 rounds solve my problem? What do you think?

If your shooting hi-velocity out of a rifle barrel, it will be supersonic and crack like crazy. You need to run sub-sonic with a rifle when using a suppressor. I recommend CCI. Very quite and has CCI's quality and consistency.

dboz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Greenwood
    Thanks for the advice. I know that I am not getting baffle strikes. I will try CCI. This is not the first time that I have heard good things about that ammo.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    For even quieter subsonic ammo, the Remington Subsonic ($3.25-ish / 50ct at Walmart) is even quieter than the CCI subsonic.

At least that was the case last week out of lovemywoods' 10/22 and my TacInnovations Stratus suppressor.

Holding the action closed makes it quieter still!

-J-

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    I personally have never liked Remington Subsonic. The stuff I used was inconsistent. Sound volume would vary from shot to shot. But maybe I had a bad box, don't know.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I personally have never liked Remington Subsonic. The stuff I used was inconsistent. Sound volume would vary from shot to shot. But maybe I had a bad box, don't know.

I never said it was higher quality! :D

But in the informal testing, the Rem stuff (all 20-ish rounds fired) all SEEMED quieter than the 20-ish rds of CCI Subsonic.

We weren't doing any accuracy testing, nor shooting over a chrono. Nothing every went supersonic out of the 16" bbl, though. The LOUDEST part was the bullet impacting the pond surface and the resulting ECHO.

-J-

poisonspyder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Durango
    cci standard velocity is only 20 fps faster then sub sonic from them and much cheaper. i shoot the 40 grain standard velocity and realy like that ammo. with only 1070 fps it won't crack unless it is really cold.

irishhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Mooresville
    Have you taken the suppressor apart ? did you reassemble with the cones in the correct direction and drop holes a quarter turn apart 12 oclock, three o clock, and so on?

DoI had the exact problem after I took it apart to clean. I put it back together based on the pic tac has on their website ... Its backwards

dboz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Greenwood
    Irish Hunter- I did take it apart to scrape all of the lead build up off of the baffles. I put it back together as you described before shooting it on the 10/22. After shooting it on the 10/22, I shot it on a 5' pistol and it was super quiet. I checked out my ammo last night and, as I suspected, it was high velocity. Now I just have to find the time to buy subsonic ammo and get to the range

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Put a bolt buffer in your 10/22 if your wanting it to be quiet. Even if you get the round to quiet down, your still going to hear the bolt banging into the steel rear pin.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Put a bolt buffer in your 10/22 if your wanting it to be quiet. Even if you get the round to quiet down, your still going to hear the bolt banging into the steel rear pin.

If you go this route, know that a bolt buffer can cause ejection and, subsequently, feeding issues. Those issues, though, all tend to be individual to the gun & ammo chosen.

GI JOE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yea, Remington subs are NOT my first choice. I dont even buy em anymore. CCI's are always a good idea but man if you want quiet... Try out RWS subs. Makes you say wow when you shoot em cuz they're so quiet. A little on the pricy side though. About $5 bucks for a box of 50... The next 1500 is right around the corner though!

Top Bottom