• ...and so much more!
  • ewhitehouse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Corydon, IN
    I'm sure this has been addressed before somewhere but I can not find it,

I recently bought a 1960's Ruger 10-22 from a gun shop for 120$ Got it home, cleaned up, refinished, re-blued, put on a scope mount....then the reason it had no scope on it in the first place reared its ugly head. The 4 threaded holes on the top of the gun where the scope mount attaches are stripped out. When there is no scope they stay in well enough that you wouldnt notice it, but with the added weight of a scope it becomes very obvious.

I need advice. Are there larger screws I can put into it that ruger makes or will this be a tap it out and cut some lager screws down to size to fit? I want to keep the gun as it is and want to fix this problem. I have seen 2 10-22's with this problem recently so I know its not just my bad luck.

Any help would be great. :dunno:

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    I'm sure this has been addressed before somewhere but I can not find it,

I recently bought a 1960's Ruger 10-22 from a gun shop for 120$ Got it home, cleaned up, refinished, re-blued, put on a scope mount....then the reason it had no scope on it in the first place reared its ugly head. The 4 threaded holes on the top of the gun where the scope mount attaches are stripped out. When there is no scope they stay in well enough that you wouldnt notice it, but with the added weight of a scope it becomes very obvious.

I need advice. Are there larger screws I can put into it that ruger makes or will this be a tap it out and cut some lager screws down to size to fit? I want to keep the gun as it is and want to fix this problem. I have seen 2 10-22's with this problem recently so I know its not just my bad luck.

Any help would be great. :dunno:

You could try installing helicoils to get back to the original thread size.

ewhitehouse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Corydon, IN
    im wanting a permanent fix. I know the helicoils will work wonders but this gun will be a boring day go shoot a can until I cant tell its a can anymore kinda gun. I take care of my guns but like i said, this gun will see a lot of wear. Im not sure if the helicolis will hold up to ME.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I don't think there is enough meat there to make a helicoil work. The screws fit tight in the scope mounting rail. Drill and tap the holes on the gun and probably have to drill out the scope rail as well as the counter sink holes in the scope rail. The screws need to be really short and the holes square! A lot of work but it would make it usable again.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Another fix:

Have the same sized holes drilled/tapped just ahead or behind of the current holes.

You could then either fill the old holes with JB Weld (or similar) or "permanently" sink factory screws in there with the super Lock-tite. Going either of these routes you need to be sure that there isn't any material that hinders bolt travel on the underside.

-J-

Top Bottom