• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Even after video proof was presented, the chief made excuses. If not for the video, the ticket would have stuck. Either the officer wrote a ticket for something he clearly didn't see or he thought he had an easy mark. Error on the side of issuing a ticket I guess.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I agree it was a bad call on the officer's part (intentional or not), and the chief backed his officer. I've never considered getting a dash cam but perhaps I should.

1 bad ticket might pay for it. I should get one as well.

They should double the amount the ticket would have been for. Let the officer pay half and the chief pay the other half to the guy he have the ticket to.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    I also agree that there should be consequences for the officer making a bad call. Performance based measurement where his raise depends on the percentage of valid tickets compared to the rest of his department. Each officer's percentage plays against the total salary increase available for him and his peers. Combined with a weighting mechanism using his accuracy percentage against the number of tickets issued to keep it fair for those who write 800 tickets a month and those write 1000 tickets a month.

Humans are incentive-based. Control the incentive and you control the actions.

Last edited:

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Yeppers, I'm gonna get a dash cam, a vertical shotgun rack, some black BDU's, and OC! Maybe even get a used, two-tone brown Crown Vic from a county auction!:draw: :mallninja:
    But I'm NOT gonna get a CCW badge, 'cause someone 'might' think I'm a wannabe cop! :lmfao:

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    Yeppers, I'm gonna get a dash cam, a vertical shotgun rack, some black BDU's, and OC! Maybe even get a used, two-tone brown Crown Vic from a county auction!:draw: :mallninja:
    But I'm NOT gonna get a CCW badge, 'cause someone 'might' think I'm a wannabe cop! :lmfao:

It might be a mistake to associate dash cams with law enforcement only. Do you remember the meteorite in Russia a couple of years ago and all of the really neato videos from common motorists with dash cams? You should check it out if not.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

This has what to do with the thread?

Had it not been for the drivers dash cam, the ticket would have stuck. How is an officer writing a ticket for an infraction that never occurred any different than the same officer stealing the cost of the ticket out of the drivers wallet?

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Dash cams are great. I bought a cheap one, it's not holding up so well anymore but it still does everything it is suppose to do. Many hours of nothing happening, a few minutes of people doing something stupid while making you happy you had the camera.

I would say if you are seriously wanting one, get one that has the rear view camera as well (basically 2 cameras in one).

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    What's the best course of action in presenting dashcam video as evidence? Do you do it on the spot while the officer is writing the ticket, or do you give it to someone else after the fact?

What about in a crash situation? Do you tell the responders that you have recorded evidence? Or do you sort it out yourself afterward?

Asking as a pretty new dashcam owner.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    What's the best course of action in presenting dashcam video as evidence? Do you do it on the spot while the officer is writing the ticket, or do you give it to someone else after the fact?

What about in a crash situation? Do you tell the responders that you have recorded evidence? Or do you sort it out yourself afterward?

Asking as a pretty new dashcam owner.

If you are a witness, go ahead and present it. However, if you are accused of something, it's your 5th. Review it before presenting it to your attorney. If you were in the wrong, you can always pay the ticket. If you were in the right, why give officers the chance to "accidentally" delete it. I know most officers wouldn't do that, but I know it'd be my luck for me to run into an officer like that at precisely the wrong time.

***Disclaimer: IANAL, but IDSIAHILN.***

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    He stopped. Thats a weird intersection, if the cop was on that street to the left it might have looked like he did not stop. I don't want to watch it again because the commercial was long, not sure if they say where the cop was sitting or not. Either way he stopped at the sign and should not have gotten a ticket despite what bs the chief tried to put out as an after thought.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Dash cams are also popular in places like Russia where people don't drive very well (pardon the generalization). Can help show you were not at fault in an accident. Or, conversely, that you were.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I wish I had a portable one in my car to show all the hooligans I stop that want to argue that they weren't doing XYZ. I don't stop people unless I am 100% positive they committed whatever infraction I'm stopping them for. If there is even a little doubt I just let it go.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I wish I had a portable one in my car to show all the hooligans I stop that want to argue that they weren't doing XYZ. I don't stop people unless I am 100% positive they committed whatever infraction I'm stopping them for. If there is even a little doubt I just let it go.

Thank you. The way it should be. I'm all for every officer having a dash cam. It protects themselves as much as anybody else. There was a caught on tape meltdown show on the other night. A couple scenes were cops dealing with drivers melting down. They were all professional and if the driver lodged a complaint, the film would exonerate them.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    It might be a mistake to associate dash cams with law enforcement only. Do you remember the meteorite in Russia a couple of years ago and all of the really neato videos from common motorists with dash cams? You should check it out if not.
    Dash came are pretty common in Russia due to crappy cops

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Dash came are pretty common in Russia due to crappy cops

If a $100 dash cam can prove you're not at fault in an accident, it can save you your several hundred dollar deductible and help keep your rates from going up. Nah, anyone who's want a dash cam is just a holster sniffer.

Top Bottom