Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

MSRP $758
    1706119480587.png
    Screenshot_20240124-130713_Email.jpg
    Taurus continues its commitment to making hand-built fighting revolvers by expanding the Executive Grade lineup to include the all-new 605 Executive Grade, chambered in 357 Magnum. Based on the best-selling Taurus 605, a 5-shot compact frame 357 Magnum, the new 605 Executive Grade gives shooters the upgraded stopping power they’ve been asking for.

The 605 Executive Grade accepts the same speed loaders as other common 5-shot revolvers. Shooters can elect to use potent 357 Magnum ammunition or lighter loaded 38 Special, including +P loads. The 605 Executive Grade’s polished finish and hand-tuned trigger make this gun as nice to look at as it is to shoot. Use it as a BBQ gun thanks to the presentation grade wood grips, or tuck it in an IWB holster as your go-to CCW piece.

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    That looms an awful lot like a Ruger revolver to me, I can appreciate that Taraus is trying to change their brand image but I don’t see it actually happening.

Dante1983

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2021
    Some people hate on Taurus. I had a little 38 5 shot for years, can’t tell you how many rounds through it, never a problem.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Some people hate on Taurus. I had a little 38 5 shot for years, can’t tell you how many rounds through it, never a problem.
    My current daily is a black 856 with 6 125gr Underwoods. Viridian laser grip in a IWB Kydex. A set of Wolff springs makes the DA/SA very sweet. I understand that they had quality issues in the past but who hasn't. I don't have any Taurus semi's yet but have a TH9c on the way. I'm wanting to see if the TH9c is as solid as the 856. The funny thing is my 19 year old son has picked up on the Taurus hate so much that he bad mouths them already. I have a case of 9mm sitting here for him to run through the TH9c when it arrives for a reliability test. I'll report on how it does. :thumbsup:

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    That looms an awful lot like a Ruger revolver to me, I can appreciate that Taraus is trying to change their brand image but I don’t see it actually happening.
    I have a OLD Taurus model 82. So old it is made as good as a S&W with a hammer mounted firing pin and pined barrel. And while Taurus had a series of poor quality and missteps they are on the have hired the right folks.

Cody Osborn formerly of Walther and Caleb Giddings who knows revolvers (I am hosting Giddings for a revolver class at Riley in July) have already made a noticeable improvement in marketing and production.

I have a feeling they are only going to get better. But haters are gonna do what they do and hate instead of trying the new stuff

Dante1983

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2021
    My current daily is a black 856 with 6 125gr Underwoods. Viridian laser grip in a IWB Kydex. A set of Wolff springs makes the DA/SA very sweet. I understand that they had quality issues in the past but who hasn't. I don't have any Taurus semi's yet but have a TH9c on the way. I'm wanting to see if the TH9c is as solid as the 856. The funny thing is my 19 year old son has picked up on the Taurus hate so much that he bad mouths them already. I have a case of 9mm sitting here for him to run through the TH9c when it arrives for a reliability test. I'll report on how it does. :thumbsup:
    Nice! My sons 19 as well. You just gotta remember when you were that age and thought you knew everything too. Lol
    Good luck!

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    I have an IKD Taurus model 82. So old it is made as good as a S&W with a hammer mounted firing pin and pined barrel. And while Taurus had a series of poor quality and missteps they are on the have hired the right folks.

Cody Osborn formerly of Walther and Caleb Giddings who knows revolvers (I am hosting Giddings for a revolver class at Riley in July) have already made a noticeable improvement in marketing and production.

I have a feeling they are only going to get better. But haters are gonna do what they do and hate instead of trying the new stuff
    I just ask the haters to keep an open mind. Is Cody Osborn the Cody in the recent SHOT videos?

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    IMHO Taurus earned their bad reputation.
    Gonna be hard to win over a lot of folks.
    I get what you are saying but people need to get over themselves. If you go far enough back people were mad at Ruger (that 10 round thing) people won’t STFU about the S&W lock (which with safety hammer owning them it was coming with or without Clinton but bad timing and optics I get it) Marlin the same with the addition of the cross bolt safety in the day Etc

Bottom line companies as big as all of them can survive without a couple haters blowing off about something a decade ago. But to each their own!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    People can buy whatever they want.

Some folks think cheaper is always better.

Maybe the just as gooders need to get over themselves.

I get how some folks make great claims on the other end, and many are the safe queen type.

Most people suck, doesnt matter what they own :)

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I get what you are saying but people need to get over themselves. If you go far enough back people were mad at Ruger (that 10 round thing) people won’t STFU about the S&W lock (which with safety hammer owning them it was coming with or without Clinton but bad timing and optics I get it) Marlin the same with the addition of the cross bolt safety in the day Etc

Bottom line companies as big as all of them can survive without a couple haters blowing off about something a decade ago. But to each their own!

I wouldn't call myself a hater, but I'll admit to being a skeptic. I've been burned by Taurus in the past, and their poor quality control and customer service cost me significant time and money. While I'd say my mind is open to the idea that they are trying to fix themselves, my wallet isn't open yet. I'd have to actually put hands on the gun, shoot it myself, preferably over an extended period of time and with a significant round count, before I'd be willing to trust one again. Unfortunately, they're not going to give me one, so it's going to cost me money out of my already over-allocated gun budget to do that. As such it's not likely to happen any time soon.

There's also another side of the coin regarding the "give them a chance" argument. What about the value of maintaining a good customer-vendor relationship through years of quality products and customer service? S&W has always done right by me. I've had very few problems with their guns, and I own quite a few. The few times I've had problems, their CS has been very responsive and helpful. That ongoing relationship has been mutually beneficial, and they have earned my trust. I know if I buy a Smith and something is wrong with it, they'll make it right. IMO it would be somewhat fickle (and inadvisable) of me to abandon that just because someone else makes something similar cheaper.

I really do hope that Taurus succeeds. Competition is a good thing, and they make a few things that are unique to them and are kind of interesting to me. Maybe someday I'll have the extra cash laying around to roll the dice and pick up one of those 905 9mm snubbies to play with. If I do I hope it's fantastic!

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I wouldn't call myself a hater, but I'll admit to being a skeptic. I've been burned by Taurus in the past, and their poor quality control and customer service cost me significant time and money. While I'd say my mind is open to the idea that they are trying to fix themselves, my wallet isn't open yet. I'd have to actually put hands on the gun, shoot it myself, preferably over an extended period of time and with a significant round count, before I'd be willing to trust one again. Unfortunately, they're not going to give me one, so it's going to cost me money out of my already over-allocated gun budget to do that. As such it's not likely to happen any time soon.

There's also another side of the coin regarding the "give them a chance" argument. What about the value of maintaining a good customer-vendor relationship through years of quality products and customer service? S&W has always done right by me. I've had very few problems with their guns, and I own quite a few. The few times I've had problems, their CS has been very responsive and helpful. That ongoing relationship has been mutually beneficial, and they have earned my trust. I know if I buy a Smith and something is wrong with it, they'll make it right. IMO it would be somewhat fickle (and inadvisable) of me to abandon that just because someone else makes something similar cheaper.

I really do hope that Taurus succeeds. Competition is a good thing, and they make a few things that are unique to them and are kind of interesting to me. Maybe someday I'll have the extra cash laying around to roll the dice and pick up one of those 905 9mm snubbies to play with. If I do I hope it's fantastic!
    You aren’t wrong and I’m not disagreeing with you.

I had a similar issue with Colt. Bought a DA revolver the Peacekeeper as a duty gun in 1990. It ended up misfiring all kinds of issues. I called Colt and they basically told me tough. I sold it for a 686 and stayed away from Colt for 30 year (of course I did. Learn they were going through a strike and all that problem)

I liked the Colt Competition and bought one and it has been a solid gun. So sometimes people and companies screw up. Or their minimal wage person answering the phone screw up.

I don’t disagree Taurus made some screw ups but seeing some of their new products in classes and folks in the range and shooting them myself I think they have turned it around. And with the new folks I don’t see why they won’t keep improving.

(Disclaimer I still like my S&W Revolvers though LOL)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Im not one to get amped about new stuff.
    Never was one to roll the dice just to try something out.

Don't shoot/hunt much anymore.
    So what I have seems good enough.

Only revolver that interests me is a new 6" Python (stainless).
    The fact that the rear sight is a joke is rather annoying..... on a $1500 handgun.

Lucar186

Threat to Democracy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2024
    Auburn

MSRP $758
    View attachment 327968
    View attachment 327985
    Taurus continues its commitment to making hand-built fighting revolvers by expanding the Executive Grade lineup to include the all-new 605 Executive Grade, chambered in 357 Magnum. Based on the best-selling Taurus 605, a 5-shot compact frame 357 Magnum, the new 605 Executive Grade gives shooters the upgraded stopping power they’ve been asking for.

The 605 Executive Grade accepts the same speed loaders as other common 5-shot revolvers. Shooters can elect to use potent 357 Magnum ammunition or lighter loaded 38 Special, including +P loads. The 605 Executive Grade’s polished finish and hand-tuned trigger make this gun as nice to look at as it is to shoot. Use it as a BBQ gun thanks to the presentation grade wood grips, or tuck it in an IWB holster as your go-to CCW piece.
    Ignoring the fact that this looks like it was copy/pasted straight from the website, is this actually a good gun for backwoods carry?

IN New Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2017
    Terre Haute

My experience with Taurus's poor quality and totally inadequate quality control didn't happen a decade ago. It was just a year or two ago. A recent experience. Some people are completely justified in their ill feelings about Taurus. I'm 0 for 2 with Taurus.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Ignoring the fact that this looks like it was copy/pasted straight from the website, is this actually a good gun for backwoods carry?
    That depends where you are and what you're looking to do. Is .357 Mag going to be enough to deal with any potential threat where you're going to be (I'd argue that it ought to get the job done pretty much anywhere east of the Mississippi with the right load), and are you comfortable being limited to 5 rounds? If so, I'd imagine it would work.

My woods time is typically backpacking. I'm not hunting or looking to shoot things, but it's nice to have the capability if you need it (I never want to be in a situation where I'm being chewed on by a bear and wishing I'd brought a gun). My priorities for a woods gun are light weight and power for deep penetration on target. I'm putting down miles and every ounce counts. It's also not socially acceptable to open carry on a lot of hiking trails in the east like it is out west, so concealability is a factor as well. Your situation may be different depending upon what you are planning to do in the woods, or where you're planning to go.

I like a 3" barrel for the extra sight radius and a bit more velocity over a 1 7/8" or 2". IMO a 3" hits the sweet spot between a 2" true snubby and a 4" gun for belt carry. I don't know as I'd necessarily need the fancy grips for a woods gun...I prefer something more compact and synthetic for being out in the elements, but some of that is personal preference, and it's easily and inexpensively rectified if you'd want to change them. But the regular old non-executive 605 might give you everything you need for knocking around in the woods at a better price point...just something to consider.

The steel 605 does have some weight to it for its size, but not excessively so. That extra weight also makes it tolerable to shoot, even with magnums. I had a 2" 605 years ago...it was ok to shoot when it worked, but it was also an unreliable turd with timing and lockup issues. I hear they've gotten better, though. I replaced the Taurus with a 3" SP101 in .357, and carried that for a number of years until I found a deal on a 3" Model 60, not because there was anything wrong with the Ruger but simply because I prefer J-Frames. Although I do have some airweights for other purposes, I never found any of those steel guns to be overly heavy on the trail, not even the SP101 which is a bit of a chunk.

I've gotten into other, bigger stuff for hiking out west, but for Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, and the east coast, I'm perfectly happy with a 5 shot .357.

Top Bottom