• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgt.porter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Deleware County
    So far, this year's morel season has been disappointing to say the least. But only as far as morels are concerned. There is still plenty of wild food out there to be consumed by the Indiana forager.
    With the lack of morels, I'm changing gears and focusing on the pheasant's back mushroom.
    Regarded as inedible by some, and delicious by others, the pheasant's back is the second most abundant spring time mushroom found in Indiana woodlands.
    picture.php

The Pheasant's Back, also known as Dryad's Saddle or Hawk's Wing, is a fairly easy to identify mushroom with no poisonous look alikes. It is a shelf type mushroom that prefers to grow on dead, fallen trees. Though occasionally you will find it on a standing dead tree or even a live tree. Normally, you will find multiple pheasant's back mushrooms overlapping each other. On first look you will notice brown scales or "feathers" (much like the shaggy mane) in rows covering the top. These feathers are how it earns it's name. The underside of the mushroom is white and covered in thousands of tiny tubes from which it releases it's spores.
    The Pheasant's Back has one unique characteristic that allows identification to be unmistakable. It smells like watermelon rinds! No kidding, even if you don't care to eat one, break a pheasant's back open and smell it. No other mushroom in the world is known to smell anything remotely like a watermelon.
    Although the pheasant's back can grow 12" or larger across, it is almost too tough to eat at any size over 4".
    My method for collection is to slice into the mushroom with my knife. If i can make it half to 3/4 of the way to the stem just by pressing, I cut the mushroom from the wood and take it home. If I can't get far without sawing it, I leave it on the wood.
    If I'm desperate or in a survival situation, no matter how big the mushroom is, I will press my knife in till it stops, then turn the knife and cut this softest edge from the mushroom for eating. Unless they have fully matured, all pheasant's backs will have some flesh soft enough to eat, even if it's only the last inch or so of the edge.
    In a survival situation, Pheasant's Back is one of the few mushrooms that I will dare to eat raw. So far I have had no problems. I just slice all outer skin off of the piece I intend to eat. But I prefer them cooked.
    Pheasant's backs are best cut into 1/4" slices from the edge to stem.
    Most people suggest marinating them in one form or another of home made Italian dressing before baking or frying them. I don't like them like this, adding the vinegar to the rind flavor makes them taste too much like fried pickles lol.
    I prefer to just toss the slices in the skillet with butter, salt, and pepper. Just like every other mushroom I cook. They also go great with any dish that calls for mushrooms, but don't expect the traditional mushroom flavor.
    I hope with the lack of morels, we will have many outdoor enthusiasts willing to try new foods this year. Who knows, you may find your new favorite. :D

Good luck and happy hunting.

keith2210

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    man i see those all over. wish i would have known they weren't harmful! i'll start keeping them from now on. thanks for the info.

Top Bottom