• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Had another great class, good turnout. I lengthen the class from 4hrs to 6hrs to allow for more time doing skills. I don't think anyone felt rushed, however we did used every minute... with that said we did have a few unexpected time eaters.

I apologize for being a bad host and not getting a group picture :xmad:

However here are a few pics of the Trauma Assessment/Scene Survey. That should surfice. I really look forward to your critique so I can keep tweaking this class a little more. And I am adding a poll for future classes, that may or may not include the option of a trauma kit.

Please be real with your AAR its the only way for folks to get the most out of this class.

RNM

2011-07-02_15-04-48_833.jpg
    2011-07-02_15-04-55_989.jpg
    2011-07-02_15-04-06_528.jpg
    2011-07-02_15-04-26_757.jpg
    2011-07-02_15-04-16_309.jpg

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Please be real with your AAR its the only way for folks to get the most out of this class.

RNM

I attended RedNeckMedic’s Trauma class last Saturday. It was a fantastic value for the money and I would recommend it to anyone wanting a greater understanding of life saving techniques for traumatic injuries.

Without going into too much detail, the first two thirds of the class covered the most common traumatic injuries and causes of death with a lecture/discussion format that was informative and informal. We were encouraged to ask questions or add comments during the lecture. RNM did a great job keeping the material accessible by removing the majority of the Latin medical jargon and speaking in plain English. He is certainly a subject matter expert in this area.

The last third of the class was dedicated to skills exercises where we had mini-labs working on stopping bleeding, splinting fractures and a nice setup with a multi-trauma, multi-patient scenario. We were walked through the thought process for whole scene assessment and injury triage.

I firmly believe that medical skills are more important and more likely to be needed in your lifetime than gun skills. Keep in mind that I run a business teaching defense with firearms. Listen to what I’m about to tell you. You should take trauma medical training before you take a gun class. Do not think that a gun will solve all your problems.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I wanted to add one thing unrelated to the content of the class.

During the class I had an unexpected low blood sugar incident that led to me passing out for a few seconds. That has only happened one other time in my life and that was several years ago. I ate a very light breakfast and got behind the blood sugar curve. By the time I felt faint I couldn't snack fast enough to catch up.

I just want to thank the rest of the class for their understanding and especially RNM for his professional handling of the situation.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I was there

Was hoping for more but I realize the class was geared toward real world right now, and possibly improvised trauma care.

My only gripes were that Matt needs to pick a day when people aren't gonna have low blood sugar and heart attacks and then bug him about it.

Real suggestions: Master your powerpoint. Give Jahred at least two days to get prepared.

The trauma kits are a great idea. Add scissors. Maybe a flexi splint. As options perhaps.

The facility used is great and convenient to a LARGE area of the state. No excuse for not making the trip if you're within an hour or so.

A lot was review for me from EMT classes 30 yrs ago but a good refresher.
    Reminded me of how much I've forgotten.

The crime scene made us think of options we'd not have considered and the mechanism of injury thought process is really important to order of treatment.

And thanks for the buckets!

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    "Please be real with your AAR its the only way for folks to get the most out of this class."

OK.
    I thought you needed to get your power point straightened out to where it fit with what you were talking about.
    I understand life happens but if I'm paying for instruction I don't want the instructor running off every 20 minutes to answer his phone.

I'm unsure if the content of the power point was completely appropriate to the course as far as the graphic images went. Some were necessary some were not.
    And use the projector screen. It makes no sense not to.

This is just an idea but it seems to me that you should break up the hands on portion of the class. Cover pressure dressings and there uses then do them. Cover broken bones and there assessment then do some splinting.My $.02.

Location for the class was great. Nice place for that sort of training.

All that being said , I can't think of anyone else I'd want working on me as a paramedic than RNM, he knows his stuff. I'm quite sure his classes will continue to improve.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Very good value. I also suggest changing the format to (1) Present the technique, and (2) practice the technique, then on to the next one. I recall we were given the choice, btw, but none of us students had an opinion at the time.

I give the class the highest marks for the emphasis placed on "KEEP IT SIMPLE". Good gear that was nice to have (the C-A-T tourniquet, for example) was discussed, but quick thinking and improvisation was emphasized more.

Yes, I'm putting together a little trauma kit, but I left the class feeling that "I know some stuff now and know what to do ( and not do)" as opposed to thinking, "Gee, I need to go buy a bunch of stuff now".

IMHO, everyone should take this class.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Good class.
    I feel that I got a good deal for my time and money spent.

I appreciated the contributions from those in the class with various backgrounds. It was informative to hear how different organizations approach trauma care.

I really learned much from the discussion of tourniquet and clotting agents and the risks therein.

I also liked the demonstration of various types of bandages and tourniquets. The makeup and wound assessment was a nice touch.

Regarding the graphic pics: I found them suited to set the tone. Some were shocking, but we were dealing with the topic of nasty wounds. I feel that they helped "ground" the discussion and kept the seriousness of what we were doing in the forefront. They helped add a specificity to my motivation for learning.

For improvement, I would suggest:

A la Carte items for purchase for trauma kit

A post class suggested reading list (any recommended books on the topic, anatomy, trauma related or otherwise?)

More instruction regarding the treatment of gunshot/knife wounds to the abdomen/chest. The topic was covered and I learned things I did not know going in. I do not know what more could be taught, but I would like to know more. I always want to know more. I would expand this topic at the expense of instruction regarding splinting.

Conclusion: Good class, good value, good people. I know more than I knew and I have better gear than I had. I met some good folks and am able to put some faces with the names I have come to know. I gained ideas regarding future instruction I want to pursue and I learned more about how I want to instruct in the future.

Most importantly, I am better prepared to save a life.

Thanks RNM, thanks :ingo:!

Top Bottom