Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    We have room in the Gun Handling 101 class that will be held in January. Ring in the New Year with some good training and improved pistol skills.

GUN HANDLING 101 | Parabellum Firearms & Indoor Range

This is not the typical basic pistol class. The theme of this class is driving the gun with your vision. After teaching the draw stroke several essential elements and skills of pistol shooting will be taught.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    This class is not a competition class, and it is not a Defensive Pistol class either. It is a marksmanship and gun handling class that teaches crucial skills that allow fast and accurate shooting. The video below is from a competition, but it shows the skills being practiced. The video contains runs with two different pistols. There was not a single miss in this match.[video=youtube;b69-FPOqNLw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b69-FPOqNLw[/video]

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    We have plenty of room in this class. Over the last couple of years I have had people tell me this class seems beneath them. I have never heard that from someone in the class or after they have taken the class.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    We have plenty of room in this class. Over the last couple of years I have had people tell me this class seems beneath them. I have never heard that from someone in the class or after they have taken the class.

Hmm, I don't feel any class taught by a good instructor is beneath me, but I am a little weird that way. I would find it worthwhile for the shot calling and snapping the eyes aspect alone. Two things I am familiar with, but could always use improvement on.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

I would not be surprised if the people who think this class is beneath them are among the people who could greatly benefit from the content.

The unconscious incompetence stage, right?

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I feel like it is valuable to learn how grip matters and to dispel the myths on You Tube about it not mattering, and proving it with live fire drills. Calling shots and how to use that new skill and to how to develop it further are also valuable. Getting people to take the plunge is a difficult process.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    If there are no prerequisites for this course, perhaps you could call it something like "Handgun Marksmanship from a Holster 101," since that's what's being taught. Most folks who are new to the lifestyle are probably not familiar with the term "gunhandling" in the Jeff Cooper sense. To them, "Gun Handling 101" probably sounds like how to load & unload it, how to store it, etc. Many probably think it sounds like something that can be done in a classroom, and simply may not look deep enough to see that there is shooting, much less shooting from a holster, involved. :dunno: Sorta like, "Hm, I already know how to coonfinger guns, meh." That really is what it sounds like.

Anyway, just a thought & it's meant constructively. In advertising language matters & the content seems better than the title suggests. I would have signed up for this content as a beginner. But many may overlook the title, because it sounds like a gun petting zoo for people who've never touched one before.

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I appreciate the feedback. I have had the same discussion in my mind and with some other folks several times. It seems folks don't read the course description or course requirements. I have had people show up without a holster or a belt for the class. I am not sure I can fix that with a course title. Many folks have told me they don't think they need this course, but I have never had anyone take it and be disappointed.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I plan on attending.
    I've been carrying a weapon of some sort most days for over 42 years. I actually read the description and decided that this would be the perfect course to start learning new/ better ways to do things.
    I don't know what I don't know.

Bob

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I plan on attending.
    I've been carrying a weapon of some sort most days for over 42 years. I actually read the description and decided that this would be the perfect course to start learning new/ better ways to do things.
    I don't know what I don't know.

Bob

You will be pleased by the experience and you'll want to do more.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Yes, but I looked up other dates this class is being offered and that was one of them.are you not teaching that class?
    I am teaching tonight. There are no other dates of GH101 on the schedule at this time.

Heavy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County
    I am teaching tonight. There are no other dates of GH101 on the schedule at this time.

I hope that this may change. It is nearly impossible for me to get away from work in the winter. I have fingers crossed that there will be enough outside interest to warrant another GH101 class. Say maybe around mid to late March.:)

I have been thinking of the intermediate pistol class you offer at Riley CC. I was thinking GH 101 would be a good start before the intermediate class in the summer.

It is understandable if this is not offered at a later date.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I hope that this may change. It is nearly impossible for me to get away from work in the winter. I have fingers crossed that there will be enough outside interest to warrant another GH101 class. Say maybe around mid to late March.:)

I have been thinking of the intermediate pistol class you offer at Riley CC. I was thinking GH 101 would be a good start before the intermediate class in the summer.

It is understandable if this is not offered at a later date.

GH101 is a short version of intermediate. There will likely be GH101 added soon. Swamped right now and cannot work another one in at this time. March is possible.

Heavy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County
    This is good news.

As an aside...If GH 101 is a condensed, or more topic specific version of intermediate pistol, then would I be in decent shape to just go with the latter? Knowing of course that you know nothing of my current abilities. If so, then a second GH 101 class set up just for those few who missed todays class, or maybe even just me, would not be necessary. At least on my account. Thanks Coach.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I attended the class last night. It was well run and put out a bunch of good info no matter your skill level. Aron cured an issue I've been trying to figure out for a long while in about 2 minutes. It was a crawl, walk trot class that followed a natural progression.
    I plan on attending more as my schedule allows but in the meantime I am going to practice what I learned last night.

Bob

abraham743

Marksman
    Rating - 98.1%
    51   1   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Indy SS
    Great class. It is more than the name implies. There was something for everyone and there was a wide range of skill levels present. Aaron even took some extra time after class to help out a new shooter. First class all the way around from instructor to range.

Top Bottom