AAR: 1 Year Training With McVicker’s Martial Arts (JKD/BJJ)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Around this time last year I started taking Jeet Kune Do Concepts and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu with Jack McVicker in Terre Haute. I have been posting reviews and reports for the majority of my firearms and self-defense training over the past few years. Typically the classes I review are a few days or week-long seminar format classes. It recently occurred to me that I’ve been doing BJJ for around a year and it might be interesting to write a little about that experience too. I will try to cover my experience as best I can and give some thoughts on the class.

The Basics
    School: McVicker’s Martial Arts Academy – Terre Haute (Also on FaceBook)

Course: JKD Concepts and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Date: June 2014 – July 2015

Duration: Twice weekly from 6:30pm to 8:00pm. Open mat from 8:00pm to 9:00pm

Instructor: Jack McVicker

Students: Many and varied. There are all kinds of folks who attend classes at McVicker’s. We have many who compete at a very high level in local, national, and even international BJJ tournaments. We also have students, teenagers, women, and average Joes like me. Some are police officers or work at the nearby prison. Some are machinists or work in the medical field. Pretty much anyone you can think of can do BJJ. In the class I attend the ages range from 14 to 60’s. Everyone is welcome and can train at their pace and at their level.

Cost: $150.00/Month

My Background and Reasons for Taking the Class
    So you better understand my perspective and opinions, I’ll talk a little about what my experience level was like going in to the class. When I was in high school and in to my first year of college I participated in a fairly aggressive style of full-contact Karate called Kyokushin. I really enjoyed it and had a lot of fun there, but didn’t continue for various reasons. Over the 12 or 13 years since that time I had really not been very active, except in short bursts when I get on a kick and decided to “get in shape”. I have also not participated in martial arts of any kind with the exception of a couple of seminars. I always had some excuse like work, travel, lack of time, lack of funds, etc. So my recent martial arts experience, especially grappling experience, was very minimal.

I’m a big advocate of (mostly firearm) self-defense training and knew that empty-hand fighting was a big hole in my skill set. I also knew that my fitness level needed significant improvement. I didn’t have any illusions of how I would perform or how my poor fitness would affect my ability to fight. This is probably part of why it took me so long to go and do it. Then a couple years ago I took Zero to Five Foot Gunfighting with Suarez International, and I got a pretty good demonstration of just how little I knew, and how unprepared I was for a hands-on altercation. I knew going in that it would be bad. So I wasn’t surprised. But I needed to see it firsthand to spark some action.

It was that experience that got me actually looking for a place to study the martial arts again. Fellow INGO member iChokePeople was in attendance and we talked briefly there about his martial arts training. At the time of the class I was working out of town a lot, facing a possible relocation, and some other things (more excuses). It took about a year for me to find a stable schedule, but as soon as I did I sent iCP a PM and started talking to him about where he trains. He pointed me to Jack McVicker in Terre Haute. I came in and watched. iCP introduced me to Jack and I signed up that same week. I’ve been training there when my schedule allows. I’ve missed a few weeks due to work travel or other things, but otherwise have been making class pretty consistently.

This AAR will discuss the class format, what I feel I’ve learned, benefits, and my impressions of the class and the instructor.

Goals I Had When I Started

My main goals when I started taking the class were pretty simple:

1. Get in better shape.
      This was the biggest goal. I know in reality my chances of being in a fight are relatively small. I’m far more likely to become diabetic, have some type of heart disease, or other health problem related to my increasing weight and lack of fitness. So I hoped to find a good workout that would be engaging and interesting enough to keep me coming back.
    2. Learn to be more comfortable in a fight on the ground.
      I was not terribly uncomfortable in a fight if we’re both standing, most likely due to the earlier karate experience. I’m not winning any titles, and probably not even any fights, but I’ve got a few tools and I’m not uncomfortable hitting and getting hit. I always felt pretty lost on the ground and generally just didn’t know what to do or how to do it. So I wanted to increase my comfort with that aspect of the fight.
    3. Learn to get a better position, get up and break contact if I were to find myself on the ground.
      This was my ultimate goal and I think is the most applicable aspect of ground fighting for self-defense. I want to be able to advance my position, get back to my feet, and break contact. I had no idea how to effectively do that going in to this class. Arm bars, joint locks, and chokes are interesting, but what I really want is to get back up.

Related Threads

1. N/A

Summary

In case you don’t want to read the rest, I’ll just say that Jack is a great instructor and maintains a great atmosphere at his school. He is a very high-level BJJ competitor and his skills and teaching style are the best you’ll find in the area. Probably most other areas too. I generally feel the BJJ gets a little more focus and a little more testing in class. The JKD is fun but doesn’t get as much testing and live contact. So I’m not sure if I can apply it as well.
    I’ve definitely made significant progress toward all three of my above-stated goals and expect to continue down that path. I would absolutely recommend this class to anyone interested in a martial arts class.

Details of the Class (What Do We Actually Do?)
    The school has two locations: Terre Haute, IN and Champaign, IL. I attend class at the Terre Haute academy. Most of the classes are taught by Jack McVicker. I do not keep up with the who’s who of the BJJ world, but from what I gather he is a high-level competitor and wins many national and international competitions. He is also highly regarded in the JKD world, having trained under Dan Innosanto other JKD guys.

Classes are offered four nights a week in Terre Haute. Monday and Wednesday are mostly reserved for the more experienced students. Tuesday and Thursday classes are where the beginners typically start (though if a new person only has Monday and Wednesday available they are welcome in either class). There are also some day-time classes, but I have never attended them and I’m not familiar with the schedule or layout. (I stick to Tuesday and Thursday because I know my place.)

Classes start at 6:30 and the time is split between JKD and BJJ. The class usually starts with a warm-up of some kind such as calisthenics, jogging around the room, or working some basic techniques. In the first half of class we work JKD. Most of this is done standing and incorporates some kickboxing, stick drills, a little grappling, and occasionally some Filipino style knife work. Since I’ve been there Jack has been doing things on a monthly cycle. So we’ll work a particular set of techniques for a month then move on to another set.

Typically there is very little live fighting in the JKD portion of the class (at least on Tuesday and Thursdays when I attend). It is common to lightly drill some boxing or kick boxing, or various entry techniques with a partner, but rare that we actually spar or make significant contact. We also do a lot of partner stick drills like the heaven six and plenty of others.

The second half of class is BJJ. It goes on a similar cycle, working a group of techniques or a set of position(s) for the month. Last month we worked mount escapes, for example. This month it looks like sweeps from guard. Usually people will pick a partner and the instructor will demo a technique and we’ll work it slowly with no resistance, just working the movements and positions for a few minutes. Then they’ll demo another technique, and we’ll work that technique with our partners for a few minutes. The instructors come around and coach us through whatever we’re messing up.

After practicing the techniques for most of the class the last bit of class is often reserved for some drilling. It is usually done from the position(s) we’ve been working earlier in class. We’ll typically stick with the same partner, or go in groups of three and rotate through positions. The drilling is where we start to add some resistance. It is not full rolling, and is usually restricted to certain techniques. When you lose the position or escape the position you reset and start again (or sometimes switch positions and start again). A good training partner will help throttle the resistance so you’re both learning the technique and how to work from the position in this time.

The class usually ends with that around 8:00pm and open mat starts. New students need to come to class for 2 or 3 months before they are allowed to stay for this session. Open mat runs to 9:00pm and at this time you can roll with or train with whoever you choose (with consenting partners, of course), at whatever resistance level both of you are comfortable. Most people who stay for this portion use it to work BJJ, typically starting from the ground. Some people occasionally work stand-up and do some sparring or boxing, and some work wrestling takedowns. The majority of folks stay on the ground. This is also where the real workout happens.

My Thoughts and Impressions After One Year
    The first thing I’ll say is that Jack is not just a great instructor (which he is), he’s also a great guy. He’s got a great attitude and genuinely cares about his students. The first day I met him he talked more about the students in class and their goals and personal achievements than he did about himself or even about the class. He seemed to get to know everyone who was training there. His laid-back and welcoming attitude permeates the class. He maintains an excellent and welcoming atmosphere that exceeded my expectations.

Typically in a shorter format class the atmosphere wouldn’t matter to me. I can go to a two-day seminar and the instructor can be a dick. If I learn everything that was advertised I am happy with the class. With a martial arts class though, where you have to keep coming back every week, the atmosphere is extremely important. He’s also a great instructor technically. He is very detailed and technical, good at explaining the positions, movements, and identifying ways to help people advance their skills.

There isn’t much I don’t like about the class. I often feel like there is more focus on the BJJ and ground work than the JKD and standing techniques. I think this is because most of the open mat time is devoted to ground work. So I spend twice as much time on the ground. I may also feel this way because we rarely have any real contact in the JKD portion of the class. So I don’t feel I’ve really “tested” what we’re learning against any resistance. Between those two factors (time and testing) I don’t know if I’ve learned anything well enough to apply it at full speed with real resistance. I know from previous experience that what we’re learning is valid, especially the kickboxing techniques which looks very similar to what worked in Kyokushin (where hard resistance was common), but I’d like to see more of that testing in class.

The BJJ side of class is exactly the opposite. I am able to test the techniques with as much realism and resistance as I can handle (and more), against opponents of all sizes and skill levels. I am able to get a much clearer idea of what I can make work and what I cannot.

As for my original goals, I believe the class easily and clearly addresses all three. My fitness level has increased significantly. When I started class I felt good just to make it through the first to sections. When I was able to stay for open mat my goal was just to get through three rounds (5 or 6 minutes each) without passing out. I had to sit out a round between each one I did. It was a struggle and I was sore for a couple days after each class. Now I can typically stay and roll for three rounds without issue. Sometimes I go 5 or 6 and, while I am very tired afterwards, I make it and can still get out of bed the next day. I have definitely noticed significant improvements in my fitness level.

My comfort on the ground has increased significantly as well. I don’t always feel like I’m improving that much (BJJ is a complex art, and takes much time to master). But I definitely feel more comfortable. I know much more about what I should be trying to do, and what my goals should be when on the ground. I am starting to see opportunities a little better, and things are slowing down a bit and becoming more manageable. So while I wouldn’t say I’ve achieved this goal, I can definitely see progress.

My third goal was learning to find a better position and get back up. Achieving a better position is at the core of BJJ practice. So I have definitely made improvements in this area. I am starting to become more aware of my position relative to my opponent, where the weight is, and how to use it to improve my position. I have a long, long ways to go to be proficient, but I’ve already seen significant improvements in my ability to maintain or advance my position. I would say I’m definitely on the path here.

One of my concerns is that I will have a hard time applying what I’m learning out of context. So to test that, one of my training goals for the next year is to attend a Shivworks ECQC class. Shivworks has one of the most well-regarded integrated combatives (with the gun) seminar type courses I’m aware of. This would give me a great opportunity to apply the base of skills I’ve been working in a whole different context, with a somewhat different set of rules and challenges (Sims pistol rounds in the back at contact distance is a motivator). I think that will be very interesting and very challenging.

So to wrap this up, I’ll say that I really enjoy the class and I would definitely recommend it to anyone in the area looking for a place to train. As I mentioned above, the atmosphere is great, and the skill level of the students and the teacher is world-class. I feel it’s worth driving over an hour from the west side of Indianapolis to attend, and I am aware of several other students who drive that far or farther to train with Jack.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Jackson, you are a real inspiration. Keep it up.
    Thanks Que. I don't know that I inspire many, or that I'm doing anything that extraordinary. I do like to write about the classes I take. I hope it makes people interested in, or more comfortable with the idea of taking a training class.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Excellent AAR, as always. I think you did a great job of capturing some of the important aspects of the academy. I also think a lot more of us should add this set of skills, or options, to our training plan. Options are good.

The Monday and Thursday morning classes are fine for anyone -- there's a good mix of newer and more experienced students there. The Monday and Wednesday evening classes will offer you quite a bit more contact in the JKD portion, especially on the nights where there are few/no beginners there. There are a fair number of private, by invitation sessions in which the levels of resistance and contact are as high as the participants want to go.

Keep up your journey -- as Que said, it helps a lot of us stay focused and motivated.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Another side benefit is I seem to be somewhat less fat than when I started. I've been trying to eat a little better too. So I'm sure that's a big piece. I was trying on some old clothes today and put on some pants I couldn't button last year. Basically free pants.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Tell Jack I said Hi! He was one of the associate instructors when Vunak gave us our 40+ hour classes in Frankfort. I went home with salt rings in my t-shirts and BDU pants every single freaking day! Wowza!! My homie was one of his neighbors before he bought a house. Small world man!!!

Top Bottom