• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I generally try to take some sort of force-on-force class at least once a year. So, I am always looking for local opportunities for that type of training. A friend of mine used to study Hapkido at Gentry Martial Arts and told me about this class. He asked me to attend with him. So I decided to jump in and see what they had to offer.

The Basics
    Course: FAST Stress Shooting
    Date: 5/31/2014
    Duration: 4 Hours
    Instructor: Brandon Sieg
    Assistant Instructors: David Yoshida and Todd Miller
    Students: 13 (5 women / 8 men)
    Cost: $75.00

Stated Objective
    From the course handout: “To provide participants with the experience of choosing and applying appropriate use of lethal force in the adrenal stress state. To provide a full spectrum of appropriate use of force skills with a handgun. To provide the experience for students to make an educated decision on whether or not they want to own/carry a handgun. Skill sets include “getting off the line of charging attacker, verbal de-escalation with the weapon as a visual deterrent, and firing both a laser weapon and airsoft projectile gun point shooting style at a live aggressor exhibiting a hostile intent.”

Instructor quote: “Theme of the class is enlightenment.” (As I understood him: help the student better understand the speed and dynamics of a live situation vs square range training.)

Related Threads
    N/A

Summary
    This course is one in a series of FAST self-defense courses. The series has other courses that focus on unarmed combatives utilizing scenarios against heavily-padded aggressors. This class was basically an introductory force-on-force type course. The first hour was lecture and discussion. From there it moved to a skill building portion and on to drills. I would categorize all of the drills as “skill-based” rather than “Scenario-based” exercises. A few of the final scenarios did involve minor interactions with the role players, but generally did not affect the outcome. I believe the course generally met its objectives, though I disagree with some of the details.

Details

The Lecture and Discussion:
    We gathered around 0905 in a circle of chairs and kicked off with a quick bit of background on the class from the instructors. The head instructor was quick to disclose that he was “not an expert shot, but expert at creating stress.” All of the instructors had a significant background in Korean martial arts such as Hapkido and Tae Kwon Do, among other things. After hearing a quick bit from the instructors, we went around the room and introduced ourselves. Most of the students were relatively new to firearms and none mentioned any prior firearms training or significant firearms experience.
    After introductions we moved to the course discussion which closely followed a three-page handout provided to the class. The instructor went through the course objectives and told us the class was not a firearms safety class or a CCW class. It was both expressed and implied that primary objectives of the class were to build in a bit of stress and learn to move off the line of attack. Verbalization and de-escalation were also central themes of the lecture and exercises.
    The lecture continued on to discuss the Tueller drill and the importance of distance. It also discussed the concept of an asymmetrical vs a symmetrical attack. The idea that the defender would be reacting and behind the curve was central to this portion of the lecture. This moved the discussion along to point shooting. The idea was presented that, because a person was shooting defensively, behind the curve, and under the effects of adrenaline, using the sights would not be likely. It was presented as if one should not worry about the sights.
    One of the most memorable portions of the discussion was basically a mindset lecture (but the instructor never used the term “mindset” like we see in “gun classes”). The instructor relayed several incidents of people who had been shot, grievously wounded, and continued to fight through the situation. Some examples were to demonstrate the ineffectiveness of handgun bullets. Some were given to illustrate that a person most often gives up by choice, and not because their injuries force them out of the fight.
    The lecture also discussed the physiological effects of adrenaline, some basic use-of-force rules and legal considerations. The lecture portion concluded with a general recommendation about what to say to police after being involved in an incident. We took a quick five-minute break and headed to the main training area.

Skill Exercises:
    The skills exercises started off with a quick discussion on grip. The instructor demonstrated a couple grip options that included a crossed-thumb type grip, and a cup-and-saucer type grip. He also demonstrated three shooting positions. Someone familiar with a four-count draw stroke would loosely equate them to positions 2, 3, and 4. (Or positions 3, 4, and 5 of a five-count draw stroke). Position one being a loose and somewhat forward retention, two a compressed ready, and three full extension. We worked through these positions in and back out. There was significant emphasis on scanning the area at position two while coming back in to the holster.
    After working through the shooting positions we moved to lateral movement. Two basic types of movement were presented. I’ll call one a shuffle to the side and the other a cross stepping type of movement. Moving off the line of attack was a significant, over-arching theme. Based on the class drills to follow it was probably the biggest focus.

Drills:
    After the basic skills portion we moved to some basic drills with a partner using blue guns. One partner was given a training knife. The knife wielder would come at you slowly and you would implement the draw while moving off to the side. This is where verbalization was added. We would yell “stop, stop”, etc. Drills were done in steps, building skills on as we went. Everything was pretty slow-paced at this point. We’d add movement, then verbalization, then simulated shooting one step at a time.
    After these drills we moved to similar drills with SIRT pistols. This time an instructor would come at you and you would move off the line and shoot with the SIRT. The SIRT was used so students could get an idea where they were shooting and what type hits they were getting. These drills worked up to full speed and basically turned in to a demonstration of the Tueller drill, but with lateral movement. I believe the purpose of these drills were to showcase the effectiveness of moving off the line as priority one.
    The final exercise was similar to the above drills but using airsoft guns. The instructors added a bit more play-acting and didn’t present a threat right off the bat. There was some decision making, but almost all of the scenarios went the same basic way. I still considered these skill-based vs a full-out scenario because they didn’t appear to have an open ending. They did, however, drive at the themes of the course which were distance and lateral movement off the line of attack.

My Thoughts:
    Overall, I think the course met its primary objective. I believe the overall goal of these FAST courses is to get students worked up, let them get a taste for the pace and difficulty of a real situation and work under some actual stress and resistance. This class did generally get people somewhat stressed. Some people reacted to the stress a bit more than others. Resistance was fairly low and the drills/scenarios were fairly simple. The attacks weren't all that realistic, but it seemed they were primarily used to demonstrate the distance and lateral movement concepts. I think they generally fit the level and approach of the class.

I like several of the lecture topics. The mindset portion was really pretty good. I liked the direction the instructor took there. The discussion on adrenal stress was also good, and not something always well-covered in other classes. I did not like the conclusions they drew about the necessity for point shooting. I don’t have a problem with the concept of point shooting, and think it happens under stress. However, I don’t think it’s an excuse to ignore the sights altogether.

Based on my previous training experience, the skills portion covering grip, draw-stroke, and shooting positions was not on par with current standards in firearms training. It appeared the instructors didn’t have any significant firearms training themselves. I am basing this on a few hours of class and the specific things they taught. So, I could be way off here. These were just my personal observations.

The drills, while pretty basic and not representative of an actual attack, followed pretty well with the overall themes of the class. Movement was emphasized, as was verbal de-escalation. Students came away with an appreciation for distance and the speed at which an attacker can approach. I think that was the primary objective of the class. If after-class feedback from other students is any indicator, I believe that objective was met. The primary take-away for most students was “wow, I felt far away until he started moving” or “wow, it happened fast” or “wow, I need to work on this”, etc.
    At the end of the class the instructor said the theme of the class was “enlightenment”. He wanted students to come away with a little better picture of the problems they could face, and the speed at which they happen. I think most of the students got that out of it.

Last edited:

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    This is a YouTube video I found of the class. This is not the specific class I was in, but its the same course at the same school:

[video=youtube;i9TLfG5AW6I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9TLfG5AW6I[/video]

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Interesting to see such a class coming from the martial arts side of the house, opposed to the gun side. I think too many gun owners are lax in their movement and too many martial artists are lax in the gun handling. Good to hear you're out there trying to be as well-rounded as possible.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Interesting to see such a class coming from the martial arts side of the house, opposed to the gun side. I think too many gun owners are lax in their movement and too many martial artists are lax in the gun handling. Good to hear you're out there trying to be as well-rounded as possible.

Well, you know me. I'll try about anything once. I'm still waiting to hold the pad for Brian@ITC so I can see the effectiveness of the ninja strike.

From what I've seen, I think the FAST combatives courses are probably better than their gun offerings. I think this class could have been improved by what a person with some more extensive firearm training would bring to the table. I may try out one of their combatives classes and see how it goes.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Jackson it has been a long day of training so maybe my reading comprehension is way off. You say they demonstrated a couple grips including crossed thumbs and cup and saucer. Those were demo'd as the improper way to grip, right?

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Jackson it has been a long day of training so maybe my reading comprehension is way off. You say they demonstrated a couple grips including crossed thumbs and cup and saucer. Those were demo'd as the improper way to grip, right?

No. These were demonstrated as acceptable methods. See my comments on that below:

Based on my previous training experience, the skills portion covering grip, draw-stroke, and shooting positions was not on par with current standards in firearms training. It appeared the instructors didn’t have any significant firearms training themselves. I am basing this on a few hours of class and the specific things they taught. So, I could be way off here. These were just my personal observations.

These guys were not firearms guys.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy

These guys were not firearms guys.

Update:
    I received some e-mail feedback from one of the instructors and it appears I may have been wrong in a couple of my assumptions. It sounds like at least one of them has trained with Chris Costa and possibly also at Range Time. The general gun handling demonstrated at the FAST class did not appear to be the same as I would expect at a Costa or RT course. However, I have not trained with Costa or RT. So, I cannot be certain of that.

Just trying to provide as much info as I can about the courses I take, and I'm happy to correct any errors I make in my AARs.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Must be more open carry barefoot people than I realized :D

Yeah, they didn't want people wearing shoes on their mats. It was a martial arts studio. As for the open carry, most people in attendance didnt seem to carry at all. People were encouraged to run open belt holsters. This way they could focus on the techniques tauught rather than worrying about drawing from concealment. Many brought universal nylon holsters or other velcro jobs. None had a real belt. A few didnt have any of their own gear.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Yeah, they didn't want people wearing shoes on their mats. It was a martial arts studio. As for the open carry, most people in attendance didnt seem to carry at all. People were encouraged to run open belt holsters. This way they could focus on the techniques tauught rather than worrying about drawing from concealment. Many brought universal nylon holsters or other velcro jobs. None had a real belt. A few didnt have any of their own gear.

I did notice th BG's got to wear theirs...I call foul!

I enjoy FOF scenarios as well. You could tell they didn't have any "no shoot" scenarios. I've been in FOF classes where I didn't have to fire a "shot"...though sometimes I did :D

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I did notice th BG's got to wear theirs...I call foul!

I enjoy FOF scenarios as well. You could tell they didn't have any "no shoot" scenarios. I've been in FOF classes where I didn't have to fire a "shot"...though sometimes I did :D

I'd really call these skill reinforcement drills than full scenarios.

szorn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Northcentral Indiana
    Just to add some thoughts to this thread...

I am not what most people would call a "gun guy". While I have trained with guns and continue to do so I believe in the simple concept of "one mind, any weapon". I don't fixate on any single weapon or tool to the exclusion of any other. That said, I am also the only other certified FAST Defense Stress Shooting instructor in the state of Indiana. So, my opinion may be a little biased.

This particular course is designed to take average people and show them how to successfully protect themselves with a firearm in just under 4 hours. It is designed in such a way that even people with no previous firearm experience can attend. With that in mind, there is only so much that can be presented in just 4 hours that will be applicable to complete novices as well as advanced shooters. Since the emphasis is on scenario-based training very little time is spent on those skills that are commonly addressed during a fundamentals class such as grips, trigger control, breath control, sight alignment, etc. A basic fundamental grip is shown to assist those with no previous training but intermediate and advanced shooters are encouraged to use their preferred grip. I can't comment on the specific grips taught by Brandon because I wasn't there but I can tell you that I teach the thumbs forward grip that is fairly common and this was what I was taught in Stress Shooting and other handgun courses.

Actually there are some "no shoot" scenarios in this Level 1 class. They are often woven into the scenarios so the students can see that not every person in the situation is a threat. However, the objective is to prepare the student to use their firearm to engage a threat and do so while experiencing an adrenal response. This being the case we ensure that every student has a similar experience. So, not every student will get a "no shoot" scenario but every student will get to shoot a threat under stress. Additional "no shoot" scenarios are incorporated into advanced levels after the students have experienced shooting under stress.

Some of you are correct in your assumption that we are not "gun guys" but we don't claim to be, at least I don't. I am a self-defense and combatives guy that trains with guns. I train and teach all skills that can be used to protect life and limb. I could care less about how pretty a skill looks or where it comes from, or any of other such nonsense. I only care that it will work for the desired objective. If it has little direct application to surviving violence you probably won't see me doing it or teaching it. That said, you won't see me teaching range drills or competitive shooting skills. But I can assure you that what I do teach can be used by the majority to effectively protect themselves or their loved ones should the unfortunate need arise.

In regards to the scenarios, they are not full-blown scenarios in the typical sense. Due to the time limitations of the class and the general objectives the scenarios are simplified or min-scenarios if you like. Again, this is just a result of limited time while still trying to keep all of the students engaged in the lessons.

Steve

Last edited:

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Can either of you tell me about the shooting positions as taught in this program? Specifically position 1 and its proper positioning and where it would be implemented?

It was not thoroughly explained in the course I attended and I have two different ideas on its origin and use.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I LIKE the idea of the course combining martial arts 'thinking' into gun-handling / stress-shooting 'thinking'. IMO, Steve (szorn) did a good job of explaining what the course is, and is not.

It's another 'awareness' class, and though I've not taken it, just reading the reviews, Steve's comments, and the video clip (posts #2 & #8), I would be confident in recommending it to those who choose to carry a firearm, with an even more hearty recommendation for those who are new to carrying, or perhaps don't carry (and now realize WHY they SHOULD).

To be fair and honest, I do not know if any of the Instructors have been in actual 'street' combat / gun scenarios, perhaps not. It's 'typically' not something one CHOOSES in order to gain 'Instructor training'. Review and improvement (for the student, the Instructors, for the class curriculum) is always a necessity and it is the wise Instructor(s) that willingly seek that direction. My own perceptions, of course, are based on my own experience and teachings.

Hat's off to Gentry Martial Arts for their promotion of gun-handling / shooting scenarios as a martial art, as it IS exactly that.

:+1:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I think that for $75 I'd consider it supplemental training of a somewhat different flavor and happily incorporate into my skills what worked while discarding what didn't, or what was a contradiction to things I already knew worked and were proficient in.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Just to add some thoughts to this thread...

I am not what most people would call a "gun guy". While I have trained with guns and continue to do so I believe in the simple concept of "one mind, any weapon". I don't fixate on any single weapon or tool to the exclusion of any other. That said, I am also the only other certified FAST Defense Stress Shooting instructor in the state of Indiana. So, my opinion may be a little biased.

This particular course is designed to take average people and show them how to successfully protect themselves with a firearm in just under 4 hours. It is designed in such a way that even people with no previous firearm experience can attend. With that in mind, there is only so much that can be presented in just 4 hours that will be applicable to complete novices as well as advanced shooters. Since the emphasis is on scenario-based training very little time is spent on those skills that are commonly addressed during a fundamentals class such as grips, trigger control, breath control, sight alignment, etc. A basic fundamental grip is shown to assist those with no previous training but intermediate and advanced shooters are encouraged to use their preferred grip. I can't comment on the specific grips taught by Brandon because I wasn't there but I can tell you that I teach the thumbs forward grip that is fairly common and this was what I was taught in Stress Shooting and other handgun courses.

Thanks very much for your comments. I think your point of view is very informative and adds much to the thread and to my review. I intended for my review to convey that the focus was on the movement, verbalization, and drills. However, the instructors did spend a small amount of time discussing grips and shooting positions (which, in a way, amounted to a quick and loose primer on draw stroke). The techniques presented did not appear, based on my previous training and experience (which is not necessarily all that extensive), to be the optimal methods for a combative application (or most any application with which I am familiar). It wouldn't have taken any longer to present a potentially better method.

Another item I didn't specifically note in my review: The opening lecture of the course and course advertisements were quick to play-up the poor accuracy rates from data on shootings. The course discouraged or downplayed sighted shooting, but presented no methods or information for achieving hits through point shooting. There was some discussion of watching our hits during the SIRT pistol exercises, and it was mentioned during the AirSoft exercises. While I am not intimately familiar with them, I believe there are methods and training techniques for teaching/learning point shooting. If I were going to advertise the course with the idea that hit rates are low and hits are important, I would probably include some material about my proposed method for increasing that rate (point shooting techniques in this case).

I want to reiterate that I understand the point of the course was to get students shooting in a more stressful, reactive environment. I believe the course did that. I'm just recording all of my observations.

Actually there are some "no shoot" scenarios in this Level 1 class. They are often woven into the scenarios so the students can see that not every person in the situation is a threat. However, the objective is to prepare the student to use their firearm to engage a threat and do so while experiencing an adrenal response. This being the case we ensure that every student has a similar experience. So, not every student will get a "no shoot" scenario but every student will get to shoot a threat under stress. Additional "no shoot" scenarios are incorporated into advanced levels after the students have experienced shooting under stress.

Agreed. There were some no-shoot opportunities with the second role player in the exercise. Again, I think the exercises were designed to reinforce specific skills presented in the class. I think they were effective in that regard.

Some of you are correct in your assumption that we are not "gun guys" but we don't claim to be, at least I don't. I am a self-defense and combatives guy that trains with guns. I train and teach all skills that can be used to protect life and limb. I could care less about how pretty a skill looks or where it comes from, or any of other such nonsense. I only care that it will work for the desired objective. If it has little direct application to surviving violence you probably won't see me doing it or teaching it. That said, you won't see me teaching range drills or competitive shooting skills. But I can assure you that what I do teach can be used by the majority to effectively protect themselves or their loved ones should the unfortunate need arise.

I'm not sure any of my comments had anything to do with techniques looking pretty. If I said a technique was sub-optimal it was based on function alone. Also, if you're saying range drills and expanding ones skills in gun-handling and marksmanship will not help someone survive violnce (with a firearm), I guess I have to disagree.

In regards to the scenarios, they are not full-blown scenarios in the typical sense. Due to the time limitations of the class and the general objectives the scenarios are simplified or min-scenarios if you like. Again, this is just a result of limited time while still trying to keep all of the students engaged in the lessons.

Steve

I agree. I hope you didn't misunderstand my comments on the exercises as negative. I am attempting to categorize them, not judge them. I tend to differentiate "skill-based" and "scenario-based" exercises. Both are quite valid and used for different things. To me, a "scenario" exercise appears open-ended to the student. They really don't know what's going to happen and have a lot of decisions to make. "Skill-based" exercises are largely the same for each student and are used to reinforces specific skills or reactions. There were some decision points in these exercises, but the students pretty well knew what the result would be. The only question was who was getting shot and when. I'm not saying this is a negative thing. The exercises reinforced skills specifically addressed in the course and appeared to operate exactly as designed. (This is a positive point in the review, not a negative.)

szorn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Northcentral Indiana
    Thanks very much for your comments. I think your point of view is very informative and adds much to the thread and to my review. I intended for my review to convey that the focus was on the movement, verbalization, and drills. However, the instructors did spend a small amount of time discussing grips and shooting positions (which, in a way, amounted to a quick and loose primer on draw stroke). The techniques presented did not appear, based on my previous training and experience (which is not necessarily all that extensive), to be the optimal methods for a combative application (or most any application with which I am familiar). It wouldn't have taken any longer to present a potentially better method.

I honestly can't comment in detail on what they covered, especially the grips since I wasn't there. As I mentioned and as David Rose confirmed, the thumbs-forward is the standard grip that I was taught and the one I personally prefer. In regards to the techniques not being optimal for combative applications...are you speaking about the grips or the fundamental body/gun positions. The body/gun positions are standard- position 1 is the basic close retention position taught by many and designed for close quarter attacks when there is little time or distance to fully extend the limb. Many bypass this position during their draw stroke. If it's not trained properly without stress it won't be there under stress.-

Here is a video I quickly found demonstrating it- [video=youtube;rOlq1nW4N9I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOlq1nW4N9I[/video]

Position 2 is the close ready position generally most applicable after the threat has ceased and when we need to be ready to reengage if necessary. Obviously position 3 is the engagement position. Here is a great video by Spaulding that breaks them down- [video=youtube;oATKlh_UKR4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oATKlh_UKR4[/video]

These are simple positions taught by numerous instructors that can be learned quickly and are directly applicable under stress. I am not sure what would be considered better than this under the circumstances.

Another item I didn't specifically note in my review: The opening lecture of the course and course advertisements were quick to play-up the poor accuracy rates from data on shootings. The course discouraged or downplayed sighted shooting, but presented no methods or information for achieving hits through point shooting. There was some discussion of watching our hits during the SIRT pistol exercises, and it was mentioned during the AirSoft exercises. While I am not intimately familiar with them, I believe there are methods and training techniques for teaching/learning point shooting. If I were going to advertise the course with the idea that hit rates are low and hits are important, I would probably include some material about my proposed method for increasing that rate (point shooting techniques in this case).

I want to reiterate that I understand the point of the course was to get students shooting in a more stressful, reactive environment. I believe the course did that. I'm just recording all of my observations.

I agree that there is not a lot of time devoted to the intricate details of point shooting but in the end they aren't really necessary. If this was a typical point shooting course then one would expect those details. However, this course is about getting people to be able to successfully hit the target (a real moving person) under stress without being bogged down by some of those details. The neat thing about this course is that there will often be well trained shooters (even law enforcement trainers and military personnel) right beside house wives that have never held a gun before. The biggest takeaway for me is that in the end they are all making high percentage hits on the threat and the house wives are doing just as well as the trained shooters, minus the advanced gun-handling skills of course.

Again, since I wasn't there I don't know what was mentioned and what wasn't or in what context. Personally I would address that point shooting is specific to those situations that do no allow the time or opportunity to use the sights. I agree that sights have an appropriate time and place as does point shooting. That said, generally there is no time or opportunity to use the sights in these relatively close quarter and explosive situations. I am sure you were more than familiar with the Tueller Drill (I hate calling it a drill) even before the class. This simple pressure-test originally showed that the officers could not successfully draw and shoot in time (without proper movement of course) when the attacker engaged explosively within 21 feet. Obviously if they couldn't draw and shoot effectively to begin with it would have been nearly impossible for them to draw and use the sights. Now of course, we know that movement is the key to survival. That said, it's still difficult for the majority of average people to move, draw, and shoot at the same time while under stress, let alone try to use the sites while moving. Can people learn to use the sites at this range and within the limited time-frame while moving? Sure they can. However, it requires long-term training with an emphasis on this specific skill. Although, in the end it isn't necessary in this context and likely wouldn't effect the outcome anyway.

I'm not sure any of my comments had anything to do with techniques looking pretty. If I said a technique was sub-optimal it was based on function alone. Also, if you're saying range drills and expanding ones skills in gun-handling and marksmanship will not help someone survive violence (with a firearm), I guess I have to disagree.

That was more of a general statement to the thread as a whole rather than a response to anything that you specifically posted in your review. Essentially I am saying that a high level of skill is not a requirement for surviving violence. This kind of goes along with the "caveman" post here on the forum somewhere. While target practice and gun-handling skills are important and can dramatically can improve a person's comfort level and abilities with their firearm, it doesn't automatically translate to surviving violence. If this were the case we wouldn't have the stats showing the high percentage of missed shots at close quarters.

There is a principle in fitness that uses the acronym SAID, which stands for Specific Adaptations to Imposed Demands. While geared toward fitness it's also applicable to various aspects of training, with and without weapons. The principle of specificity applies as well. Basically, if we want to get better at running we must run. Want to get better at boxing we must get in the ring and box. If we want to get better at self-defense, we must train specifically for that objective. While we can practice numerous specific skills that appear to be similar to the end result, that often is not the case. Example- sprinting is different than running and will not improve a persons long-distance running. Punching a static heavy bag or a speed bag has little direct carry over to boxing outside the power and conditioning that they develop. A person can train 7 days per week on the bags but that obviously won't make them proficient boxers. While shooting static targets improves handling skills as well as the ability to shoot static targets it won't necessarily improve a person's ability to shoot moving breathing attackers that are fighting or shooting back. Am I saying we should avoid those skills? Absolutely not! I am saying they must be placed in proper perspective and the training we do must be specific to the overall objectives.

I agree. I hope you didn't misunderstand my comments on the exercises as negative. I am attempting to categorize them, not judge them. I tend to differentiate "skill-based" and "scenario-based" exercises. Both are quite valid and used for different things. To me, a "scenario" exercise appears open-ended to the student. They really don't know what's going to happen and have a lot of decisions to make. "Skill-based" exercises are largely the same for each student and are used to reinforces specific skills or reactions. There were some decision points in these exercises, but the students pretty well knew what the result would be. The only question was who was getting shot and when. I'm not saying this is a negative thing. The exercises reinforced skills specifically addressed in the course and appeared to operate exactly as designed. (This is a positive point in the review, not a negative.)

I didn't think your comments were negative at all and I felt it was a fair evaluation. I understand your perspective on the terminology. Personally I see a scenario as an exercise that somewhat replicates realistic situations. It's usually closed at lower levels to reinforce the skills and sets the students up for success. The intensity and complexity of the scenarios can be increased on a progressive scale dependent on the student's previous success.

Steve

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I honestly can't comment in detail on what they covered, especially the grips since I wasn't there. As I mentioned and as David Rose confirmed, the thumbs-forward is the standard grip that I was taught and the one I personally prefer. In regards to the techniques not being optimal for combative applications...are you speaking about the grips or the fundamental body/gun positions. The body/gun positions are standard- position 1 is the basic close retention position taught by many and designed for close quarter attacks when there is little time or distance to fully extend the limb. Many bypass this position during their draw stroke. If it's not trained properly without stress it won't be there under stress.-

Here is a video I quickly found demonstrating it- [video=youtube;rOlq1nW4N9I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOlq1nW4N9I[/video]

I agree what you've posted here would be optimal, and what I would expect to see. This is not how position 1 was demonstrated. It was demonstrated in a straight-up kind of posture, forearm more or less parallel to the floor, gun low at hip level, almost out in front of the hip. It didn't look like it would be as effective as a retention position compared to what you've demonstrated in the video.

As mentioned in my review, position 2 and 3 were pretty much a compressed ready and full extension. No issues there.

Last edited:

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    There is a principle in fitness that uses the acronym SAID, which stands for Specific Adaptations to Imposed Demands. While geared toward fitness it's also applicable to various aspects of training, with and without weapons. The principle of specificity applies as well. Basically, if we want to get better at running we must run. Want to get better at boxing we must get in the ring and box. If we want to get better at self-defense, we must train specifically for that objective. While we can practice numerous specific skills that appear to be similar to the end result, that often is not the case. Example- sprinting is different than running and will not improve a persons long-distance running. Punching a static heavy bag or a speed bag has little direct carry over to boxing outside the power and conditioning that they develop. A person can train 7 days per week on the bags but that obviously won't make them proficient boxers. While shooting static targets improves handling skills as well as the ability to shoot static targets it won't necessarily improve a person's ability to shoot moving breathing attackers that are fighting or shooting back. Am I saying we should avoid those skills? Absolutely not! I am saying they must be placed in proper perspective and the training we do must be specific to the overall objectives.

That was more of a general statement to the thread as a whole rather than a response to anything that you specifically posted in your review. Essentially I am saying that a high level of skill is not a requirement for surviving violence. This kind of goes along with the "caveman" post here on the forum somewhere. While target practice and gun-handling skills are important and can dramatically can improve a person's comfort level and abilities with their firearm, it doesn't automatically translate to surviving violence. If this were the case we wouldn't have the stats showing the high percentage of missed shots at close quarters.

In general, I agree with your ideas. You have to get in there and do it to be good at it, regardless of what it is. However, pro boxers still do a lot of work on specific skills like the heavy bag, speed bag, foot work, movement, etc. Endurance runners bring speed work in to their training like intervals, sprints, and fartleks. I don't think they'd do those things if the skills and training wasn't directly applicable to their situation.

The same is true for gun skills. Will working at the range and developing great marksmanship and gunhandling make you a gun fighter? Certainly not. Neither will going through a whole bunch of scenarios and never learning to use the gun effectively. Going through the scenarios helps you understand the situation, make better tactical decisions, manage the stress, and slow the situation down enough to APPLY the skills you've been working on the range or wherever else.

I've done a fair number of scenarios at different places. I've done a fair number of pure shooting things. My "gun skills" fluctuate depending how much time and energy I've been putting in to it. I see a direct conneciton between hit rates and performance in scenarios and my current level of "gun skills". When I'm tuned up and my gun handling and marksmanship is fast and automatic, it looks that way in scenarios. However, if I'd never been been in scenarios I wouldn't be able to apply those skills nearly so well.

What I'm basically saying is, they are both important. I wouldn't do one at the complete exclusion of the other. They go together.

Top Bottom