• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    .Going through the scenarios helps you understand the situation, make better tactical decisions, manage the stress, and slow the situation down enough to APPLY the skills you've been working on the range or wherever else.

What I'm basically saying is, they are both important. I wouldn't do one at the complete exclusion of the other. They go together.

That's good stuff Jackson.:yesway:

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Jackson and Szorn, thanks for making this a great thread--especially adding the videos, to complement what you said

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    That's good stuff Jackson.:yesway:

Jackson and Szorn, thanks for making this a great thread--especially adding the videos, to complement what you said

Thanks guys. I think the biggest benefit of writing AARs is the way it helps me analyze and internalize the course material. It really helps me understand the themes and messages of a course. The point of posting AARs is to help people make an informed decision on where to trian. Pursuant to that, I try to be as detailed and objective as possible. Comments and discussion from instructors and experts in the course material like Szorn really add a lot to discussion. I'm glad he decided to post.

szorn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Northcentral Indiana
    What I'm basically saying is, they are both important. I wouldn't do one at the complete exclusion of the other. They go together.

I agree! That said, IF a person only had enough time, energy, and desire to attend a single course that would provide just enough knowledge and skill to help them deal with a potentially life-threatening situation I would direct them to a scenario-based / force-on-force course like this as opposed to a fundamentals course shooting at static targets. Like that "caveman" post...give them the skills to survive violence and then work on improving their advanced skill-sets if they are willing and able to continue their training.

Of course, the real problem is that those that need the training the most won't likely be attending either type of course. Sad but true...

Steve

szorn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Northcentral Indiana

Thanks to all of you for allowing me to add my thoughts on this. At first I worried it might come off as "defensive" since I have a vested interest, so to speak. I am sure glad that's not how it appeared to you guys.

Jackson, after having this discussion I think your thoughts and concerns are valid. This is a relatively new course and obviously there are some kinks to work out, especially when instructors have different backgrounds and experiences and like some of you said...we aren't all gun guys at least not to the extent many of the forum members are.

This is good information that I can pass along to see if we can't get our ducks in a row...

So thank you!

Steve

Top Bottom