• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I am right handed but left eye dominate. I basically shoot like crap when I shoot with both eyes open, there's no consistency. If I close my left eye I am dead on. I have been practicing shooting with both eyes open but I am not getting any better and my target acquisition is slow. I also dry practice. Other than reducing the field of view, what other downsides are there to shooting with 1 eye closed? I would like to shoot with both eyes open so are there any suggestions?

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    I'm right handed and shoot handguns w/ both eyes open too. I'm right eye dominent, but my right vision is poor compared to my left eye, so if I don't use both, I'm like you- my accuracy is inconsistant and I have a hard time focusing on the sights and sight placement.

I'm looking to get some prescription shooting glasses of some kind to strengthen my right eye vision, so I can target shoot. Otherwise...I'm screwed.

I actually find it easier to shoot with both eyes open, so just practice with it and it will come natually after a bit.

Easy1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Kokomo
    Am I wrong saying this, but I thought you are supposed to keep one eye closed while shooting pistols? When I go sporting shooting obviously I keep both eyes open - you don't "aim" at flying targets - I swing with it, but when you're so called spot shooting isn't it best to keep one eye closed to aim? I guess it comes down to whatever fits the shooter best, but I'd imagine it's easier/more accurate with one eye closed. I'm right handed and right eye dominant, so I close my left eye to target shoot. I'll have to try keeping both eyes open though and see how it works - I'm deadlier with a shotgun hitting clays that's for sure haha.

deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    I have the same issues, and from what I've read it's actually a pretty common problem. I've found that if I tuck my chin a bit and turn my head it helps me pick up the shigts quicker with my left eye and works fairly well. I read an article before, and they suggested just shifting how you hold the pistol to the left.

Ultimately, I think you just need to find out what you are comfortable with and practive that way.

Last edited:

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Am I wrong saying this, but I thought you are supposed to keep one eye closed while shooting pistols? When I go sporting shooting obviously I keep both eyes open - you don't "aim" at flying targets - I swing with it, but when you're so called spot shooting isn't it best to keep one eye closed to aim? I guess it comes down to whatever fits the shooter best, but I'd imagine it's easier/more accurate with one eye closed. I'm right handed and right eye dominant, so I close my left eye to target shoot. I'll have to try keeping both eyes open though and see how it works - I'm deadlier with a shotgun hitting clays that's for sure haha.

Both eyes open. Unless you have an eye patch.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I am right handed but left eye dominate. I basically shoot like crap when I shoot with both eyes open, there's no consistency. If I close my left eye I am dead on. I have been practicing shooting with both eyes open but I am not getting any better and my target acquisition is slow. I also dry practice. Other than reducing the field of view, what other downsides are there to shooting with 1 eye closed? I would like to shoot with both eyes open so are there any suggestions?

I've seen guys put a piece of scotch tape over the lens of their left eye (when right handed and left eye dominant). It forces you to sort of train the right eye to be the focus.

I'm not sure if this will re-wire the brain long-term or not, but it'll at least allow you to have the field of view and other things. just not the focus of the left eye.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville

It is my understanding that shooting with only one eye open is good for target or bulls eye shooting. If you are combat shooting then it is recommended that you shoot with both eyes open.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I shoot right handed, and am left eye dominant. It's not all that uncommon. My wife just realized that she does the same thing. I have learned to shoot with both eyes open, but still use my left eye. I have to turn my head slightly, and I admit this can be somewhat of a disadvantage in a defensive situation, but it works for me. Your options are to either train your right eye, or use your left eye.

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    I'm not 100% sure, because I don't have the problem. I'm thinking you could just shoot left handed. Wouldn't that solve the problem? It would bring the weapon to the left side of your face making it easier to use your dominant left eye. Just a theory tho

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne

gredden,

To become proficient you are going to need two things.

Good Technique: Generally to deal with cross-dominance youcan either move the gun or move your head. One or the other will solve theproblem. Usually people will say that it “feels funny” and then give up. This iswhere practice comes in.

Good Practice: Notice I did not just say practice, goodpractice means consistently working on your weaknesses, working onfundamentals, and over writing old bad habits with the best techniques you canfind for your application. Eye dominance issues can be practiced dry fire. Ifyou take a minute or two a day and practice presenting the gun to the target infront of your dominant eye soon it will feel like you were born doing it. Once thecorrect technique is ingrained you can work on other aspects of pistol craft.

A Warning: make sure you are using good technique before youspend weeks, months, or years practicing bad technique, or bad habits.

Hope this helps.
    Dave Rose

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Another right handed left eyed shooter here. Having just taken the NRA basic pistol with Jay, I am learning to shoot right eyed. It is just too confusing and time consuming to decide which eye to use. That will also make rifle shooting easier, since I don't have any left-handed rifles. And that means closing my left eye until I get enough training time in.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Target shooting with one eye closed is great but you'd better get used to using both eyes in a defense situation. I don't understand why you can't get a little better with both open. My right eye is out of whack so that I have to drift all my rear sights over a little to the right but then I'm good. I always practice with both eyes open, standing or slightly crouched forward, one or two handed grip and concentrate only on the front sight. Lately I'm using elcheapo paper dinner plates stapled to the target back at 7-10 yds and have no trouble peppering the middle 6" with .40 or .45.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I am right handed and right eye very dominate. I have been shooting with both eyes open with both handguns and longguns for quite a while. I am so right eye dominate that I almost "shut off" my left eye. I get 75% of information from my right. I'm not sure if it makes me a better shooter or not, and it may not be "the right way" but it works pretty good for me.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Both eyes open. If it comes down to the combat situation you will have both eyes open, pupils dilate, pulse up, fine motor skills go to crap, sometimes "auditory exclusion", or hearing is lost. The whole "fight or flight" body response.
    Thats where the training comes in. That is why in law enforcement training over the years they have changed from just shooting on the line to movement, running, using cover, throwing in dummy rounds to simulate a weapon malfunction, magazine changes in the fight, using weak hand...... and so on.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    When I was in boot camp we had a guy who was left eye dominant and right handed. They trained him to shoot left handed. Your dominant eye isn't going to change but you can train yourself to shoot left handed. It may feel weird and take a lot of practice but you'll get better results than shooting right handed and giving yourself a headache trying to turn your right eye into your dominant eye.

cityartisan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I was taught as a 9 year old at summer camp to shoot with one eye, in my case it was thought my right eye since i'm a right hander. I've carried this habit until 2 weeks ago with an instructor explaining that if you can use both eyes, by all means do. What happens with many people is that using both eyes causes more obstructions,(seeing double, blurring, dizziness, etc.) Being left eye dominant, i'm now in the process of forming the habit of using both eye's if possible, but if any of the above problems become to much to deal with, will use only my left. So far though, from what i know about vision, which isn't much so take this with a grain, but in order to achieve proper depth perception, both eyes need to used. This, i would think would support a strong argument for using both eyes over one.

cityartisan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Forgot to mention that when first instructed in summer camp i was shooting a .22 rifle. When instructed 2 weeks ago was shooting a pistol. Don't know if that makes any difference but i thought would be worth mentioning.

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    You can always learn to shoot left handed. I'm right handed, but left eye dominate and have been shooting left handed since i was a kid. Its a lot more comfortable then you might think and not that hard to pick up. Only bad thing is trying to find a holster for lefties. You can train yourself to do this easier than learing to use the other eye.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    eye

Shooting with both eyes open would be best. Shooting with a dominate eye that is opposite of your dominate hand is pretty common and not a big deal. Just tilt your head a bit, and use your dominate eye and don't lose any sweat over it. I think that is much better than shooting with your weak hand.

I am cross eye dominate but have good vision in both eyes. I just make myself use my right eye so I don't tilt the gun or my head. My vision is good enough to get by. I spent two years wearing tape and trying to retrain my eyes. I was unable to do it. I was all hot and bothered to being shooting with both eyes open, and then one night on TV Jerry Micklek said he just squints one eye a bit. So now that is what I do. If it is good enough for Jerry it is good enough for me.

In the act of shooting if i am focused on my front sight how much of a field of vision am I going to have anyway. When not shooting and I am scanning I can open the other eye pretty fast.

Amen to good practice posted above as well.

Top Bottom