• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The recent group buy on Ameriqual A-Pack MREs got me thinking a bit. So I began researching MREs and even though there is a lot of information on the internet, there are also a lot of choices. Not every reseller provides the same product and it seems that there are those out there that will purchase MREs and resell the components. Not wanting to deal with this I decided to order a case of A-Packs directly from Ameriqual in Evansville. The cost was $81 delivered for 12 meals and I received the order in less then 48 hours.

Last week I found an MRE in my parents garage which must have been left by my former brother-in-law. I am guessing that the meal is 4 years old. It was Beef Stew and said that it was packaged by Ameriqual.

So I am comparing an A-Pack w/ Beef Stew to a Military MRE w/ Beef Stew:

1) Packaging - Yes this is different. The Military version has a very nice plastic bag that would be durable and weather resistant. The A-Pack is packaged is a flimsy, clear plastic bag. Nice thing about the A-Pack is that it clearly lists the contents of meal along with nutritional information. Both meals would provide about 1400 calories. The A-Pack is slightly smaller and both are of similar weight.

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMjUtMjAxMTA3MzEtMTcyMy5qcGc.jpg

Contents of the Military MRE: Beef Stew Entree, Heater, Chocolate Sports Bar, Hot Beverage Bag, Vanilla Dairy Shake 3.5 oz, Crackers, Peanut Butter, Spoon, Gum, Tissue Paper, Hot Sauce, Salt/Pepper, Moist Towelett, Matches, Coffee w/ sugar & cream

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMjctMjAxMTA3MzEtMTczMi5qcGc.jpg

Contents of the A-Pack: Beef Stew Entree, Heater w/ salt water, Oatmeal Cookie, Vanilla Dairy Shake 1.75 oz, Crackers, Peanut Butter, Lemonade Drink Mix, M&Ms, Spoon, Pepper, Moist Towelett

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMjgtMjAxMTA3MzEtMTczOS5qcGc.jpg

The heaters appear to be identical with the only difference being the markings on the bag. The A-Pack does come with a packet of salt water for the heater.

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMzAtMjAxMTA3MzEtMTc0NC5qcGc.jpg

The Beef Stew Entree is also the same.

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMzItMjAxMTA3MzEtMTc0Ni5qcGc.jpg

The best I can tell the A-Packs are the same components as their Military cousins. Biggest difference is the condiment pack in the Military MRE. The A-Pack does not include the coffee, matches or tissue paper. The A-Pack replaces the coffee with lemonade which seems more practical for the kiddos. One significant difference was the spoon with the one in the A-Pack being cheap and in my opinion to large. The A-Pack is also missing the tobascco sauce. (I love hot sauce!)

Another difference is the size of vanilla dairy shake. The A-Pack only contains half of the amount that is in the military version. So a 200 calorie shake instead of a 400 calorie shake. The calories are made up with the addition of the M&Ms. To be honest I would rather have the larger shake mix since since a fortified powdered drink seems better then candy and also the thicker mix tastes better. (Yes I tried them both) I am sure my kids would rather have the candy and this was the first item to dissappear upon opening the packages.

I decided to eat some of the food. Not all at once since this would be way too much to eat at one sitting. I tried the Military MRE so that I could see how well it stored in the non air-conditioned garage. The beef stew was a bit discolored but tastey. Not quite as good as Dinty Moore but with a little tobascco sauce was quite palitable. (Did I mention I love hot sauce!) The crackers surprised me. They are flat, hard and lack salt, but I really liked them. The peanut butter does not have as much sugar in it as the commercial JIF that we always seem to keep plenty of on hand. The oatmeal cookie tasted a lot like a sugar cookie. I liked the cookie! It was plain and not too sweet. Either the cookie or crackers tasted good by themsleves or with peanut butter. My 7 year son tried the lemonade and really liked it. Lemonade was very sweet!

Both the entree and sides were filling. I plan on adding some dried fruit or a granola bar with one of the meals and I am confident it will be plenty of food for an entire day. For the civilian market I think the A-Pack is a good product. No it doesn't have any matches or Poo Paper, but those are things that should be on our list of things to have. I think my kids would drink the dairy shakes and eat the entree. Crackers & Cookie are in durable packaging and can be easily split from the rest of the meal for rationing throughout the day. While I am not big on the M&Ms, in an emergency they would provide a form of comfort food for kids.

Last edited:

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Nice write-up!

I have not eaten any of my A-Packs yet. I liked the smaller packaging for my GHB, but the military pack is definitely more durable.

If it wasn't for me getting ready to head out to a restaurant with the family I would break out an A-Pack and do a taste test for myself.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I can tell you that Chik-fil-a has individual packets of Tabasco brnad sauce.... I may or may not have acquired extras on some trips there to put with my A-packs.

Also the candy is in there for morale reasons more often than not.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I can tell you that Chik-fil-a has individual packets of Tabasco brnad sauce.... I may or may not have acquired extras on some trips there to put with my A-packs.

Also the candy is in there for morale reasons more often than not.

Hmm....I may or may not have to go buy myself a Chik-fil-a sandwich next time I see one. I definately see the benefit of including the M&Ms and lemonade in a civilian ration.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Oh forgot to mention that the gum they put in the Military MREs is nasty. :noway: It did freshen the breath a bit but it turned into a pastey mush after chewing on it for a few minutes. I have heard rumors that they put a laxitive in the gum. Is this true? Sounds like an urban legend to me, but I can see why they would since the contents of an MRE seems to mess up my morning ritual.

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    On a side note, we used the heater elements (after they cooled slightly) to keep us warm during the cold nights. Just wait a few minutes until it cools (only a few mins), drain the water (if any is left), and place the pack DIRECTLY onto your chest under your shirt/bdu/jacket/fleece whatever you have on. This helps raise your core temperature enough to keep you going a while longer... its not fool proof, but it works great. Just thought I'd share that =)

Last edited:

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    On a side note, we used the heater elements (after they cooled slightly) to keep us warm during the cold nights. Just wait a few minutes until it cools (only a few mins), drain the water (if any is left), and place the pack DIRECTLY onto your chest under your shirt/bdu/jacket/fleece whatever you have on. This helps raise your core temperature enough to keep you going a while longer... its not fool proof, but it works great. Just thought I'd share that =)

good idea

jake

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    There's not a lot of big differences, but the smaller subtle differences between them make me even more confident that I should continue to buy GI MRE's from armygear.net.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    There's not a lot of big differences, but the smaller subtle differences between them make me even more confident that I should continue to buy GI MRE's from armygear.net.

At their price even with shipping it's a toss up for me. I have a small preference for the GI version, but if it's the difference between new production and surplused ones that are 3-4 years old I'll generally buy the newer ones unless I get a hell of a deal. My price point for surplused ones is $50/case out the door unless my stock is running low, then I'll go up to $60/case. Our family goes through a crap-ton of them a year and with the GI ones I usually disassemble them and take out the extraneous stuff and retape them closed to save weight and size. I don't do that with the A-packs.

Now, if the price per case is within a couple bucks and the production dates are the same the storage conditions are the same, I'll take the GI ones over the A-packs no hesitation.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    At their price even with shipping it's a toss up for me. I have a small preference for the GI version, but if it's the difference between new production and surplused ones that are 3-4 years old I'll generally buy the newer ones unless I get a hell of a deal. My price point for surplused ones is $50/case out the door unless my stock is running low, then I'll go up to $60/case. Our family goes through a crap-ton of them a year and with the GI ones I usually disassemble them and take out the extraneous stuff and retape them closed to save weight and size. I don't do that with the A-packs.

Now, if the price per case is within a couple bucks and the production dates are the same the storage conditions are the same, I'll take the GI ones over the A-packs no hesitation.

The ones at armygear.net are new production full MRE's. That's why I like them.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    That's good to know!

What was the shipping charge?

I just checked what it would cost shipped to my door and it was $23. $105 + $23 = 128. 128 / 24 = $5.33 per full MRE shipped to your door.

Back in the day they had these for sale around $90 per two cases of MRE's (24) and I could buy them shipped to my door for under $5 per MRE.

The only cavet here is that these MRE's do not ship in the hard cardboard Military boxes. These show up in a big bulky regular cardboard box. If you really value the MRE's packaged up in the boxes like they get in the service, then you may not like how these are packaged. Personally I'm after the MRE's themselves so I could care less what they're package in.

Top Bottom