• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nsw550

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Zionsville
    I've had my Ruger AR since Xmas and have had zero problems with it. I love this rifle!! Picked it up on gunbroker.com for $1400 (great deal considering all the features and accessories Ruger includes). This puppy is very accurate, reliable, and so far durable. Piston system is very easy to clean too.

I also decided to mount an ACOG TA31H for optics using a LaRue QD mount.

Enjoy the following pics. I'll try to get a video up sometime too.

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks for the additional pics. I really like that rifle, and it sounds like you got a great one at a great price. I think the only thing I would change is the flash hider...from certain angles it looks toy-like on what is other wise a very down to business rifle. I know it is similar to a standard A1 or A2 birdcage, but there is just something about it. Maybe a vortex or phantom would finish it off nicely.

Nsw550

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Zionsville
    I agree, its not a pretty flash hider. Although, I think it may be starting to grow on me. I've shot it at night and does do its job. I'm going to save up for a suppressor eventually. When that day comes I won't have to debate its looks any further :)

Last edited:

Sanguine Samurai

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Indiana
    I want one of these! I have been looking at one of these for a while. I think $1400 is a fairly good deal. The fact you got it at that price gives me hope because all the SR 556's I've seen for sale where closer to MSRP $1700+

Nutnfancy on YouTube does an extensive review of this rifle and he switched the flash hider to a Yankee Hill Phantom 5c2... looks gnarly, just a suggestion :D
    0.jpg
    814263.jpg

Nsw550

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Zionsville
    Id love to have an ACOG, I've just never seen any deals on them.

I got mine from LaRue Tactical. I looked at one hands on at Gander Mountain (WAY too high priced there). I then purchased over the phone from LaRue, since I got a combo package with one of their very high quality quick detach mounts (along with some other goodies). Its amazing how much lighter their mount is too. LaRue is a very pleasant company to deal with and it was on my doorstep in two days along with some free-bee's like a hat, bottle opener, calendar, and 2 bumper stickers.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    They are cool rifles. As to the flas hider, I can verify they work very well, even on a 13" barrel!

This is where the idea came from:
    GunPics004-8.jpg

GunPics013-1.jpg

Even the name is a balst from the past. SR-556 AC-556......

Doug K

garlic_b

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Bloomington
    it looks awesome, but with the ACOG that far towards the rear, is the BIUS essentially worthless unless you take the ACOG completely off?

That said, I was a bit iffy about the ACOG until I saw the reticle.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    but with the ACOG that far towards the rear, is the BIUS essentially worthless unless you take the ACOG completely off?

Not worthless, as the LaRue QD mount would allow him to quickly remove the optic and flip up the irons if the optic were to fail, thereby still making them "back up iron sights". Other mounts would not make this very expedient.

Top Bottom