• ...and so much more!
  • Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Hey INGO,

I just bought a new "Remlin" 1895g and had to send it back to remington due to canted sights. Now that i have received the gun, the sights are straight but there is a LONG scratch down the length of the barrel that WAS NOT there before I shipped it.

This makes the third Remington product that I have had issues with.
    I have/had:

- 70's/80's model 870 wingmaster- PERFECT.
    - late 2000's model 870 express- Chokes and jams on low wall brass..can only be trusted with premium$$$ high wall brass.
    - 2011 model 700 SPS tactical- Shipped with barrel throat machined too shallow...they made it right
    - 2013 1895g marlin- Shipped with canted sights and sharp burs in the loading gate.

Remington must have gone to some sort of idiotic lean process where they hire certified walmart rejects to manage their skilled tradesman...and fired all their quality control people in a cost cutting effort.
    Also they stopped the high gloss polished blue and moved to a cheaper and easier "matte blue"....which looks like garbage.

I am a benefit of the doubt kind of guy, but three in a row is too much for a second(fourth) chance.
    The marlin is smooth as butter...really is...I was very surprised, but the defects are what get to me.

NEVER again remington.
    God bless
    -Shred

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Some people just get the bad ones

70's/80's model 870 wingmaster- PERFECT.
    same here

- late 2000's model 870 express- Chokes and jams on low wall brass..can only be trusted with premium$$$ high wall brass.
    3 of them and run like Jesse Owens

- 2011 model 700 SPS tactical- Shipped with barrel throat machined too shallow...they made it right

probably had 10 and all have been great, still have 6 or so

Plus
    1100 youth, perfect
    CT105 Perfect until it gets so dirty that the slide stops moving and it's 25deg or colder
    Tac4 1100 perfect
    Rem 11 22lr perfect
    Rem Nylon 66 been running for 40 years
    541x great

Yup time to stop using Remington

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Same here X10.... 700 AAC-SD .308 bought new last year and typical smooth as butter bolt. Remington 1100 2004 model and no failures of any kind...well except that deer it missed! (2) Remington 1187's 2000 and 2005 model and one of them is my main hunting shotgun and it dont miss at all.

OP didnt post what transpired with remington concerning the other firearms having problems. Did they refuse to fix? Did he refuse to give remington a chance to make it right?

Probably wont be standing next to OP during a lightning show.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Some people just get the bad ones

70's/80's model 870 wingmaster- PERFECT.
    same here

3 of them and run like Jesse Owens

probably had 10 and all have been great, still have 6 or so

Plus
    1100 youth, perfect
    CT105 Perfect until it gets so dirty that the slide stops moving and it's 25deg or colder
    Tac4 1100 perfect
    Rem 11 22lr perfect
    Rem Nylon 66 been running for 40 years
    541x great

Yup time to stop using Remington

I can understand your point, but it is also significant to remember that doing the same thing expecting different results is a bad bet, and Remington needs to get a grip on the fact that you can't sail on yesterday's wind, which is exactly what they appear to be trying.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I'm with 10x on this. Of my 8 Remys 5 of them were made after 2003, and all of them run perfectly. The newest is the SPS Varmint I picked up this past December, it operates exactly like it should.

Pughead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I bought a VTR in .223 and it was the worst firearm I've ever owned. Stock was crap and it wouldn't group, AT ALL! With anything. I said I was done with them but I just got a 597 HB. At least if its a turd I'm only out $220.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I bought a VTR in .223 and it was the worst firearm I've ever owned. Stock was crap and it wouldn't group, AT ALL! With anything. I said I was done with them but I just got a 597 HB. At least if its a turd I'm only out $220.

I'll give you the 597 was a mistake but I will take that VTR off your hand, Mine shoots great, I'll take you to HHRP.org range any time and let you shoot mine.

I've helped several shooters with 700's in 223 bought in the last 4 years at the range and everyone of them has surprised me out of the box. No reason to talk groups because this is the internet and nobody on the internet has anything but submoa guns. We all know that's not true but the 700's I've helped with were good shooters.

Junk ammo and junk glass are the big culprits. I don't buy factory rounds because I've never found any factory ammo that will shoot. But I've got some pet loads that seem to always do a good job

Pughead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I'll give you the 597 was a mistake but I will take that VTR off your hand, Mine shoots great, I'll take you to HHRP.org range any time and let you shoot mine.

I've helped several shooters with 700's in 223 bought in the last 4 years at the range and everyone of them has surprised me out of the box. No reason to talk groups because this is the internet and nobody on the internet has anything but submoa guns. We all know that's not true but the 700's I've helped with were good shooters.

Junk ammo and junk glass are the big culprits. I don't buy factory rounds because I've never found any factory ammo that will shoot. But I've got some pet loads that seem to always do a good job
    Got rid of the VTR two years ago. Glass was Leupold, not the problem. Tried NINE factory loads and three handloads from a guy I met at the range. He didn't understand why it wouldn't shoot either. My 14.5" AR shoots 1moa with PMC and a red dot. The best the VTR shot was 2moa. It was just a bad rifle! Not to say they all are but mine was. And when you already own a great savage and your first remington is garbage savage gains a life long customer. And for the record so far I like the 597 a lot.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    And now you know why older used rigs are pricey.
    I have only owned a couple Remington firearms, but I have to say that there has to be something to what you say! My 1 and only 700 is a 70's vintage ADL, and it has the best bolt I've ever operated! Like butter, sprayed with Pam! I've played with other 700s, and while they felt more than adequate, they can't hold a candle to mine! My other Remy was a model 710 in 7mm Rem Mag. (My first high powered bolt gun.) The bolt and trigger felt like garbage, but it would hit what I shot at, and for $300,new, scoped, and out the door, I KNOW I got what I paid for!
    I have no beef with Remington! I know you get what you pay for! I know a Ruger American is a turd compared to my dad's M77 MKII from the 80's! Apples and oranges friends, apples and oranges!

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    A buddy had a similar experience with with an 1895 the action was full of machine marks burrs and debris. Sent it to a smith and $300 later he had a gun that was right. It's a shame my really. 700 SPS shot like garbage but all my higher end purchases "Sendero, 700P" have been right. It's hard to beat Savage or CZ for the money.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    Do you people actually pick up and LOOK at your guns before you buy them? If they have that much wrong with them, why do you buy them when they have such obvious defects? Or, are you buying them all online sight unseen??

Pughead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Do you people actually pick up and LOOK at your guns before you buy them? If they have that much wrong with them, why do you buy them when they have such obvious defects? Or, are you buying them all online sight unseen??
    In the case of my VTR there was nothing visually wrong with it. It just shoot like crap. And I couldn't tell the stock was weak until I put a bipod on it and felt it flex. And it's not the point. If your letting product out the door it better be right.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    It's probably a lot like cars. People think they MUST be perfect, cause they are brand new! Therefor, no, they don't really look them over as thoroughly as they should!

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie

The 1895 was bought from buds online(nobody had one in the state) and I didnt notice the sight problem until I shot it....but the issue is that it seems to have never been inspected. After the fact they fixed the rifle...only to send it out the door with a a ten inch scratch on it.

The 700SPS feels fine...but at the store I doubt the owner was willing to let me chamber a few rounds to check the throat. I groups fine now.

The thing is...I could understand if I was buying a hi-point for $160 or a Turkish off brand 1911 for $300 or some other bargain basement gun that i expect some fit and finish issues....but its not....this is REMINGTON. A premium brand name. It does very well seem like they are riding on their past reputation.
    Granted they "tried" to make it right, and still failed.

It is just a sign of the times and how these "modern" businesses are run.....MAXIMIZE profit at all costs....quality be damned.

God bless
    -Shred

Top Bottom