C.N.I. Guns in Crown Point - moving sale, everything goes!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Chuck (owner of CNI) closed his shop late last year after his son died. I talked to him recently and the sale of his building fell through due to the general economic downturn. He put up MOVING SALE signs in his windows and is going to clear out everything over the next month or two.

Unfortunately he moved his inventory out of the store, so he has to move it back in. Should be in the store sometime this coming week, maybe Tuesday or Wednesday based on my conversation with him. He's also got some new gun inventory coming in to keep people coming into the shop while he sells off the other slower selling stuff.

He said he'll be selling some XDs, some S&W99s, Taurus, etc. Says he'll be offering some good prices. Now I don't know any of that for sure, just reporting what he told me.

Unfortunately he also will probably be working short business hours, I go through Crown Point pretty regularly and only ran into him by chance when he was opening the shop about 10am on Friday. He used to open at 8am. Not sure how late he will be open in the afternoons, but I went through Crown Point about 5pm and the shop was closed. So maybe he'll only be open mid-day during the week. He said something about an upcoming gun show, maybe in Valpo?, maybe next weekend? Anyone know if there is a show in Valpo next weekend?

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    There is a Valpo show next weekend. It's at the fairgrounds. I've seen Chuck there every one. If he will have great prices, look for the maroon and black table cloths (one table will be maroon and one will be black). Or you could just look for Chuck.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Melensdad,

Did he happen to mention anything about long guns? Did he normally have any in stock?
    Honestly I didn't ask. He used to sell a lot of old military guns, Mosins and others. He did a big business in used guns, far less so in high end gun pistols. A lot of his customers were there for transfers and would also order stuff through him so his store was never well stocked. In my experience his store was more the type where you went in, sat down talked gun and met people . . . oh, and if you wanted a gun he'd get on the phone and it would be in his shop within 24 to 48 hours waiting for you pick it up. I gather he did a lot of business with estate sale collections too.

He showed me one order that was inbound, I know there were XDs and S&W P99s. The P99s were 40 cal. Not sure about the XDs as I'm not interested in those. The P99s were used "excellent" and also "Factory test fired" condition. There was a slight price difference between the 2 grades. I'd love to buy one of the factory test fired P99s in 9mm but he said the supplier was out of stock. I never see the P99s sell below $500, often see them in the $600 range, I'm curious what his price will be. He's had Taurus pistols on the order too, not sure which ones but I saw at least 4 different models, maybe a PT145, which would interest me. I did NOT notice any long guns on that order, but I really didn't study it, just glanced it over. He said he was going to keep his prices low enough to keep people coming into the store to look at the other stuff. His wife used to own a bookstore so he said there will be a lot of books in the store too.

From what I could tell he was planning on bringing in a new selection of guns weekly. Mostly new guns, and mixing them in with the estate sale guns he had too? I would bet he is open to suggestions and to take orders. I mentioned a Para P14-45, he didn't have one on the order but said if I wanted one . . .

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Well Left hand is the catch. Truly, I was a 452 Lux, or the 452 model w/o sights. However, finding CZ is hard enough, left handed worse still, so I am open to whatever. I have considered something centerfire also, but can't decide exactly what. Was thinking .308 but those are a little salty to feed. If he had a 452 Lux Lefty at a good price I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I like chuck. I'll be by for sure and help clean him out ;)

My friend lives around the corner so I'll have him check in every couple days. It'll be sad to see him go, but I love a sale!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I like chuck. I'll be by for sure and help clean him out ;)
    Spread the word if you want to help him out. He needs to get out from under that building, it is burying him and has no real chance of selling it now so if he can move some guns out of the shop and sell off the other stuff he has it helps him out.

Of course if he sells the guns at a decent price and keeps restocking with fresh inventory until he is ready to shut down then we all win :yesway:

He is going to try to get a table or two at the Valpo Gun show.

Anyone know what hours they have at the Valpo Gun show? I presume Sat/Sun, but is it also Friday evening?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    For anyone in the Crown Point area, I talked with Chuck and he will be open SHORT hours, currently from 10:00am to 3:00pm as his wife is home sick and he has some other issues to deal with.

He now has inventory in the store. Bushmaster built lowers. Numerous models of new Taurus pistols. Walther. Smith & Wesson. Springfield XD (various). A few others. Not a large/deep selection, but a decent smattering of models to choose from. Plus a few old guns too. Not much by way of long arms in the shop, a Marlin Camp 9 was in the corner. A few AR mags at 'average' prices, not bargain blow out prices, but based on prices I've been seeing his price is 'average' for various magazines. He had some PMags. Had some 6.8 Rem SPC AR magazines. But all magazines were very limited in quantity.

It sounds like he has rolling orders of guns, with new stuff coming every week. He was a bit coy about what is coming in . . . but that may be due to the fact that popular guns are hard to get now???

Virtually NO ammo, just odds and ends, hunting rounds mostly, some 12 gauge slugs, etc. I didn't ask him if ammo was on order yet or not. Seems like ammo is harder to get than guns lately.

The gun range is CURRENTLY CLOSED, but he mentioned it may be opening up at the end of the month. That seems pretty uncertain.

Lots of BOOKS from his wife's bookstore. I didn't look at the titles. But he has a wall of books.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Any reloading stuff?

I'd be interested in some primers and powder depending on price.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Any reloading stuff?

I'd be interested in some primers and powder depending on price.

No reloading supplies.

I stopped in for coffee a few minutes ago.

He did have a few Glocks in stock, I think all were 45acp, I saw a couple compacts and 1 full size. He had several test fired S&W P99s with night sights. Several Taurus models, all new guns, a couple P145s, some 24/7, a 92 and some others. New S&W M&P and maybe a half dozen various Springfield XD pistols.

One thing I'll say is that he seems in a lot better mood and a lot happier with life than a couple months ago. I think when his son died it really took a lot out of him and knocked him down. Then he sold his building, but that fell through, so now he seems to be getting back into the swing of things, opening the shop back up and trying to restart his life.

I think it will take some time. Nothing in there that I wanted, but I'll probably check in with him later this week. I pass by his store in my daily travels.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Chuck and I will be at the Valpo show starting at 8am on Saturday.

The SW99s are going pretty cheap.

I'll be taking my P7M13 with and throwing her on the table...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I stopped in there late this morning to see Chuck, he was helping me with one of my rifles that I need a part for, he showed me exactly what I needed/needed to do. He was packing stuff up for the show. Looks like he will have a decent selection of guns to take. Several Taurus choices, S&W pistols of various types, Glocks, maybe a half dozen semi-auto rifles of various types, Springfield XD pistols, etc.

LOTS of various AR magazines, including a pile of MagPul Pmags. He said he was not giving the mags away, but based on the lack of availability, and the high demand, and the inflated prices I see on magazines (if/when they are in stock) I suspect he will get a reasonable premium but he is also always willing to negotiate for multiples so its worth asking him for a couple bucks off if you want 3 or 4 magazines. He also had Lancer L5 mags, I have to try some of those, they look even better than PMags? Some mil-spec mags, etc. Glock mags too.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Black non-windowed Pmags are $25.

I didn't see the Lancers yet. I don't mind them but they aren't really worth the extra cost over Magpuls unless you're just sick of Magpul and their ****.

He has a lot of Black Teflon 5.56mm AR mags and quite a few 6.8 SPC (marked REM on the stickers they came with for some odd reason...)

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    Sounds like I need to make a point to get down to Crown Point and stop in at the shop to take a look around. It is truely sad everything that has happened to the man and his family. Glad to heard that he seems to be doing better now that before. I hate to see a small business owner close up shop. Perhaps opening the shop is just the medicine he needs to heal, and will keep it open. (A person can dream can't they??)

If he does open the range how much is range time? And I think I found where I plan on purchasing my next gun :)

Greg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Pmags are $25 . . .
    He has a lot of Black Teflon 5.56mm AR mags . . .
    6.8 SPC (marked REM on the stickers they came with for some odd reason...)
    The 6.8 round is named the 6.8 Rem SPC. I think many people refer to it as the 6.8 SPC, others refer to it as the 6.8 Rem SPC, just guessing but I'd say the sticker was too small to lable it 6.8 Rem SPC so he wrote 6.8 Rem because it would fit?

From the prices I see in stores, $25 for PMags is not bad. Not as good as mail order. But most mail order outlets don't have them. Add shipping of a few bucks and $25 is not too much of a premium if you only want a couple. Cheaper Than Dirt had them on sale for $39 EACH in a recent catalog! I bought a whole case, got them cheaper, but not many people buy bulk.

Sounds like I need to make a point to get down to Crown Point and stop in at the shop to take a look around. It is truely sad everything that has happened to the man and his family. Glad to heard that he seems to be doing better now that before. I hate to see a small business owner close up shop. Perhaps opening the shop is just the medicine he needs to heal, and will keep it open. (A person can dream can't they??)

If he does open the range how much is range time? And I think I found where I plan on purchasing my next gun :)

Greg
    Greg, as of now he only seems to be open mid-day from about 10am to about 3 or 4pm. When I saw him Friday morning he was packing up for the Valpo show, he said he had a show in Ft Wayne and then one in INDY to go to also. As both of those are a long drive for me, I don't attend either, so I'm not sure if those are next weekend and the following weekend? But my point is I would not count on the store being open evenings or weekends in the near future. He did tell me he has someone that he is going to bring back in to work part time to keep the shop open a few evenings a week, or maybe weekend hours. He did not have things worked out, but sounded like the store would slowly be ramped up in hours for the public.

As for the range, that is still closed. I never shot there because I shoot on my property, so I have no clue what he charges. He did say that he HOPED to have the ranged opened again, but sounded like that might be a 30 to 90 day project???

Top Bottom