• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Did I just miss this or was there no thread about this already?

This is definitely a good thing!

1. Reduces the penalty to misdanmeanor
    2. Allows leaving a firearm in a locked vehicle on school property [STRIKE](including employees?)[/STRIKE]
    3. Prevents turn a whole arena into a "school zone" because there's a school field trip

read it here: IN HB1048 | 2014 | Regular Session | LegiScan

Phil GiaQuinta (D) has voiced a "moderately favorable" opinion!

Am I understanding this right? No more street parking when I visit a school? :)

tem375

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    What made you block out the including employees part?. I didn't see anything about that when I initially read through it

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Glad this is here already - makes this easy ...

Indiana Moms Against Gun Control (Started by several mom's who are frequently here on INGO) - and assisted by a couple who are not - plus a husband or 2 of moms (like myself) ... are trying to document; and share info on this ... (IMAGC is mainly on facebook)
    Here is my post from today for your use / benefit - whatever:

As with HB 1018, I prepared this draft letter for HB 1048. This is a basic format and only an example. You can simply add the appropriate legislator's name and your name to the end. Or add/edit to reflect your own personal thoughts. Again, I feel that personalizing this; or even sending it U.S. mail adds a touch that can have a greater impact. Please take a few minutes to contact your legislator, and those on the committee to ask for their support for this legislation. HB 1048 is currently in the Indiana House Public Policy Committee. (Indiana General Assembly - 2014 Session)

We hope this helps you to forward your position to our state legislators.
    Also, please like and share this as much as possible; we depend on YOU to spread this information.
    Both are vital to our cause in this matter.

Post on HB 1048: (https://www.facebook.com/IndianaMomsAgainstGunControl/posts/560973647327868)

--- BB3

Jan 15, 2014

Dear Representative (last name):

I am writing to ask for your support of HB 1048 “Possession of Firearms”. This proposed legislation is a positive step to protect the safety, rights and liberty of law abiding Hoosier adults that choose to legally carry a firearm as a regular part of their lives. This law is particularly helpful to parents and care givers of school aged children.

Currently parents that carry must park off-site (which is often dangerous, difficult or impossible) or return home to store their side arm, if they must go to the school and exit their vehicle. In some situations, this could be detrimental and hazardous. The restrictions currently in place were a positive step when they were implemented, but have left some parents subject to prosecution due to the confusion it created. The legislation proposed in this bill improves the situation, by removing a ‘snare-trap’, and reducing the liability for gun owners due to “roving school zone” and reducing the penalty for those who mistakenly carry when/where they are not allowed by these new rules.

All of these are good steps towards removing the “gun free zone” surrounding Indiana’s schools. These “gun free zones” are infamous for creating defenseless victims. Please continue Indiana’s strong history of protecting the liberty and rights of Hoosiers. This legislation is a good step in that tradition. I look forward to your support with this matter. Thank you for your time and support.

Sincerely,
    Your Constituent

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    little FYI - but right now this is in committee - it was introduced TODAY.
    ... To get it OUT of committee we need to push those people FIRST ... then our own representatives. ...

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    I'm considering using my son's quadricopter to fly over my daughter's school and snap a pic of where I park to pick up my daughter, vs. where other parents park to walk in and pick up their kids. The difference between a felony and absolutely nothing illegal is about 30 yards, if that. It's completely asinine. Of course, there's the possibility that ignorant legislators would use that as an excuse to create a large legal bubble around the school and make me park farther away from the school when I pick up my daughter.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There should be absolutely no firearms within 1000 yards of any school (university/college included) that are not owned by the state or carried by those operating as agents of the state at the moment. Armed pedestrian 99 yards away, instant felon. Delivery truck with a firearm in a package driving by, instant felon. Home schooling parents, instant felons.

You have permission to see purple only if you don't think the Left actually wants these laws to become reality.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Remember that there are some legislators and some districts that are far less gun-friendly than we and those who think like us are. The prosecutors found out about the hearing that morning. The amendment was already drafted (and based on how little discussion of it there was, I'd guess the decision was already made that it was going to be accepted, too) before the prosecutors ever saw it. Complaining about that change is like complaining that the car Mary Kay cosmetics says your wife earned is pink. Regardless of the color, it's still a Cadillac. Likewise, regardless of that one change, this is still a very good bill (3 out of 4 points in our favor, and the other one, while not a gain, is not a loss, either.)

To not have a clean sweep is a disappointment, but only a minor one... and one we might be able to rectify.

Blessings,
    Bill

That's what I thought I saw Bill of Rights say in another thread.
    thats bull crap! Damn prosecutors.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    UPDATE HB1048 - direct from the committee meeting and follow-up:

HB 1048 was tabled today; out of respect for the tragic events at Purdue University yesterday.
    It will be brought up again and likely voted on NEXT TUESDAY (Jan 28) - in the House PUBLIC POLICY committee.
    I spoke with Mr. Lucas (afterwords); he asked that we continue to write and support
    - with RESPECTFUL and POLITE letters and or calls - to the committee and other legislators.
    Politely stress the positive FACTS of this bill; - not emotions - Many of those we writing to are uninformed, (hopefully not the fearful).

He also thought that HB 1017 and HB 1018 would also be getting hearing next week (or soon). ... we will do our best to keep you updated.
    Please get everyone on board - we need to contact the committee first and then our legislators at large to see this get passed.
    Please share this and get everyone you can writing; in particular, if you are or know any students or others involved with SCC
    (Students for Concealed Carry) - be sure they are writing too.

Mr. Lucas felt that yesterdays trajedy, points all the more to support the cause for legal carry.
    Laws restricting and limiting carry only make us potential victims without the proper tools or means of self-defense.
    Thanks.

afcolt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    Madison Co.
    Wrote letters last week; will email or call again today or Monday.

Seriously, it takes, what, 5 minutes of one's day to do so? Totally worth it.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Called on all three bills again yesterday. It really doesn't take much effort to call the Indiana Statehouse number 1 800 382 9841 , ask for Rep. Dermody's office and tell him you support HB1018 and would like it passed out of committee to the floor; then call back and ask for Rep. Steuerwald's office and tell him you support HB1017 and would like to see it passed out of committee to the floor; the call back and ask for Speaker Bosma's office and tell him you support both bills and would like to see them voted into law.

You can add HB1048 to the list, too - but it has been tabled this week.

If you get ambitious, call the individual members of the committees and tell them you support it.

Top Bottom