• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Sometimes I just like taking the long way to somewhere new. This review is about my final version of a .22 handgun in semi auto configuration. This Buckmark 5 ½ inch Heavy Contour Barrel URX, Buck Mark Contour URX, 5-1/2" (browning.com) is a dream to shoot and keep shooting.. My mainframe .22 semi auto is an old 5 ½ inch HB S&W Model .41. It has been my NRA Precision gun forever and sets the bar for accuracy in a pistol.

Wanting more of a field gun, I started adding to the fleet with Bill Rugers’ Mark 2. While the barrel was accurate, the grip frame angle and overall looks favoring the German Luger, always bugged me. But it was a lot less money than a Smith 41 and I didn’t mind using it in the field. After a few summers, I traded it off to a LGS at Lake of the Woods in Bremen. So, in between times, I went without a 22 field pistol and did not look back. Until the Ruger 22/45. Now we were getting closer but the round bolt, plastic frame, and difficult mechanics made this thing a PITA. I tricked several out over the next several years putting more in aftermarket products than I paid for the guns. I could go on about my frustrations with Ruger .22 pistols over a 30 year period but that’s what got me to this Browning Buckmark. For a street price of $425 this pistol cured a lot of my qualms.

First, the metal frame is nice however I wish it were steel. The 1911 grip angle is good to have and the frame is slightly smaller to grasp on the URX model. The basepads of the magazines are shaped as to not catch on the fatty part of your hand when ejecting. However, there are less aftermarket grips available for this model in the moment. These grips are from Hogue. Browning BuckMark URX Piranha Grip G10 - G-Mascus Green - Extreme™ Series G10 - Buck Mark URX - Browning Grips - Handgun Grips - Hogue Products (hogueinc.com). I wish that gun designers would stop purposely setting out to make every .22 pistol cheesy in some way or another. A close up shows how the grip to frame connection flows like an afterthought in my opinion. I prefer a clean design, like the 1911 Sometimes, I think gun designers work hard on making the ugliest guns possible. A small thing I know, but still.

This Buckmark needed nothing to make it run and the trigger is sweet right out of the box. The front sight came high enough to regulate elevation by machining down to the right height. Yes the quality steel rear sight is adjustable and I could have just raised them to a higher level, but it is important to me that my guns shoot point of aim with the rear sights most of the way down. That leaves me plenty of room to elevate (more likely for longer shots) and yet retain a natural hold out to 40 yards or so. Also of importance, having the rear sight screw down more makes the sight body more secure for field work as well. Yes, I could outfit the steel front blade with FO, and sometimes I do for SCSA, but I prefer the strong all steel front sight for industrial use in the field. Simply, it ain’t gonna break and a little orange paint am I am good to go.

Putting this gun through it’s paces the last few years has been really fun. While I shoot a lot of open sights, I added a Burris Fast Fire Dot. FastFire™ 3 | Burris Optics. I know dots are becoming as plentiful as Tom Selleck Reverse Mortgage Commercials and I like to play with them from time to time
    To earn a spot in my lineup, a gun has to work. Simple. This gun works without modifications. Taking this gun apart for cleaning is super easy. Easy removable top strap, square bolt, and one screw for the barrel makes this thing easy to clean as well. Like many, I have a mixed supply of 22 ammo over the years but for serious target work, I stay with CCI Standard Velocity. Standard Velocity (cci-ammunition.com). Now when I need Critter Gitters I turn to Velocitors. Velocitor HP (cci-ammunition.com). Both of these loads work reliably in this Buckmark. The test target shows 5 round groups of this ammo at 20 yards shot just this morning. You will notice that the higher velocity Velocitors print a little bit lower because of the round leaving before muzzle jump. It was a bright sunny but crisp morning at the range with just a small breeze in my face. Target 1 and 2 were CCI SV. Target 3 and 4 were CCI Velocitors. Target 5 was Eley. I will point out, however that target number 5 was some Eley Club I had and I did have 1 stovepipe with this ammo. On target number 1 my second shot was a nice little flyer that I caused by shortening my follow through. The accuracy of this 5 ½ inch bull/contoured barrel is close to my Model .41 and that is good enough for field work.

When you handle guns a lot in training, plinking, competition and field work, balance is a thing. If one does not recognize the balance of his gun in use or it does not matter to him, then the full experience of a well made machine has been lost. This gun balances perfect. If it had a steel frame, the barrel would have to be the equivalent in weight increase to keep such a good balanced feel for this pistol.

Yes, several thousand dollars, and lot’s of Rugers later, it took me a long way to get to this new gun.

Good Shooting.

IMG_0537 (002).jpg IMG_0538 (002).jpg IMG_0540 (002).jpg IMG_0541 (002).jpg IMG_0544 (002).jpg IMG_0546 (002).jpg IMG_0550 (002).jpg IMG_0572 (002).jpg IMG_0573 (002).jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Enjoyed reading your journey from SW 41 with many Rugers for the field work & now to the Brownings.
    I've also had good experiences with Browning.
    I sold the one below & was able to buy it back later & was glad to do so.

sRLcd8A.jpg
    oKfTTVy.jpg

r97yxzA.jpg

eAazJGK.jpg
    iwUtXmA.jpg

Free hand
    8zgAFU8.jpg

Free hand comparing the Buckmark Hunter & SW41.
    HcBfVPJ.jpg

kENgKWq.jpg

SW 41 to compare with the Buckmark Hunter
    CAFyFNM.jpg

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Nice review and some very good groups too! I never had the opportunity to shoot a Buckmark in all the years I have been shooting. Most of the best 22lr targets I have fired through the years have been with some variation of the MKII or 22/45. Have a Smith 41 that also shoots quite well.

I like the Burris Fastfire 3 too , have 3 of them including one on my rimfire Taurus 96. Also have several Vortex Venoms. The Burris and your Buckmark are a great combination!

Indy574

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Marshall County
    I sold my S&W41 years ago. That was a fine shooting pistol, but for plinking around I realized I didn’t need $1k plinker. Haven’t replaced it yet but the Buckmark’s has always caught my eye.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Nice review and some very good groups too! I never had the opportunity to shoot a Buckmark in all the years I have been shooting. Most of the best 22lr targets I have fired through the years have been with some variation of the MKII or 22/45. Have a Smith 41 that also shoots quite well.

I like the Burris Fastfire 3 too , have 3 of them including one on my rimfire Taurus 96. Also have several Vortex Venoms. The Burris and your Buckmark are a great combination!

I have had a Mark 3 that was upgraded alot with Volquartsen barrel with triggers & springs that I bought from Aeroflyer, that was just as accurate as the SW 41.
    I traded it though since I didn't need both & got a gun that I really wanted (SW 22A-1 Talo edition SS).

I ended up with another Mark 3, which was an inexpensive in a rifle & handgun combo buy from Zachcz maybe a year ago.
    I didn't even want/need the Mark 3, but the deal was such that I "had" to do it.
    This Mark 3 has ended up being a very accurate gun also & shoots better than a Mark 4 I also picked up from him, now I can't sell the Mark 3! :dunno:
    The Browning outshoots them all though with only the SW41 being being it's competition.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Jim, I share your frustration with the Ruger Mark platforms. I have owned them for decades, and won my first match in the old Purdue armory with one, but have come to agree there are other guns that satisfy most niches better. The Rugers don't run any better, the factory triggers are crap, the magazines kill your thumbs if you don't use a mag-load assist, and even though Ruger fixed the disassembly problems with the Mark IV, the breech is still difficult to access for cleaning once you have the upper off the gun.

I also like how the Buck Mark's lines somewhat imitate the old High-Standards. That's nice, since H/S mags are harder to locate. I still love the old "open top" style of the H/S 103s, but the Buck Mark gives the closest feel to a Victor, that is still produced.

And the superiority of BuckMarks to Rugers is not limited to pistols. Browning also makes a Buck Mark Rifle, which pistol owners should consider:

Buckmark-Rifle.jpg

It uses the same mags, and in the role of a rimfire long-gun, it's even more superior to the Ruger 10/22 rifle, than the pistol is to the Mark-series IMO. The Buck Mark Rifle has excellent ergonomics for scope use. It is very fast-swinging if you don't get the heavy barrel version, the pistol grip makes it a dream to handle, and unlike AR-style platforms, there is some downward offset where the stock meets the rear of the frame.

As a result, the head position is perfect. You do not have to mount the sighting device high and put a cheek piece on the stock, like you do with ARs, to avoid craning your neck downward to get on the stock. The factory wood puts your head into perfect scope position.

(The M41 is my other favorite semi-auto rimfire platform. It has been my bullseye gun since 1990, and it is not a safe queen, it is a worker. I almost feel bad about how hard I have run it, but nah. I'd rather shoot than collect).

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Wow, Twangbanger, what great info. :thumbsup:
    I'd had read about the Buckmark pistol-turned-rifle before & wondered if that was just advertising & a novelty or for real.

I know that Rossi & Heritage have produced revolvers-turned-rifles.
    I have never run across them used, but I'll do a search for this rifle & see what comes up.

Also, nice to see that you shoot everything you have instead of letting it sit in the safe!

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    The gun shop in Muncie had at least 3 Buckmarks today that looked to be identical models. They were priced at $349. Does the rear right come off for an optics base to be installed? I would not mind having a a 3rd brand of target 22 semi auto. I have online auctions ending soon and if I don't win any of them I might take a closer look at the Buckmark next weekend.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    The gun shop in Muncie had at least 3 Buckmarks today that looked to be identical models. They were priced at $349. Does the rear right come off for an optics base to be installed? I would not mind having a a 3rd brand of target 22 semi auto. I have online auctions ending soon and if I don't win any of them I might take a closer look at the Buckmark next weekend.
    The rear sight is attached to the top rail of the pistol. Yes, it can be removed, but it doesn't allow for installation of an optics base. If the Buckmark you're planning to purchase doesn't have a picatinny top rail, you'll need to replace the entire top rail with something that was designed for optics.

You can see quite a variety on the Midwest Gunworks web site ... https://www.midwestgunworks.com/browning-buck-mark-parts/sight-rails.htmlThe

Tactical Solutions Trail Lite is shown as sold out, but is readily available elsewhere.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Wow, Twangbanger, what great info. :thumbsup:
    I'd had read about the Buckmark pistol-turned-rifle before & wondered if that was just advertising & a novelty or for real.

I know that Rossi & Heritage have produced revolvers-turned-rifles.
    I have never run across them used, but I'll do a search for this rifle & see what comes up.

Also, nice to see that you shoot everything you have instead of letting it sit in the safe!

Sir, fyi, the Buck Mark Rifle is a current production model, and last I checked, Victory Range & Armory in New Castle had a heavy barrel laminated model in stock, and Indiana Gun Club had both a heavy and sporter-barrel in stock. Should you wish to inform Santa...:whistle:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Sir, fyi, the Buck Mark Rifle is a current production model, and last I checked, Victory Range & Armory in New Castle had a heavy barrel laminated model in stock, and Indiana Gun Club had both a heavy and sporter-barrel in stock. Should you wish to inform Santa...:whistle:

The sporter-barrel is shorter?
    The heavy barrel like a bull barrel?
    Just curious, & can google it.

I used to ride my motorcycle by the IN Gun Club, but I wasn't into shooting then, but I went everywhere NE of LNHS where I lived below Castleton.
    I would stop up there tomorrow since I'm going up that way for a Dr. appt. in looking it up they are closed Monday & Tuesday.
    Curious as to what they cost.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    The sporter-barrel is shorter?
    The heavy barrel like a bull barrel?
    Just curious, & can google it.

I used to ride my motorcycle by the IN Gun Club, but I wasn't into shooting then, but I went everywhere NE of LNHS where I lived below Castleton.
    I would stop up there tomorrow since I'm going up that way for a Dr. appt. in looking it up they are closed Monday & Tuesday.
    Curious as to what they cost.

IN Gun Club has a Laminated Target rifle version listed on Gunbroker for $635.00. It's the non-threaded 18" bull barrel, and yes, they are kinda heavy. There's another listing on Gunbroker that shows a threaded barrel for a few dollars more. Actually, those prices are not much more than they've been running for the last couple years.

The Sporter-profile barrel is quite a bit more light and nimble, and I've had good luck with mine. Mostly protecting my Dad's pecan orchard.

5 squirrel (1).jpg

Actually, Doddg, if you look at the picture on this listing, it might seem as if it's fate that you buy it.: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/884860916

buckmark-tgt-rfl-22lr-mb-lam-021044202-8.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    IN Gun Club has a Laminated Target rifle version listed on Gunbroker for $635.00. It's the non-threaded 18" bull barrel, and yes, they are kinda heavy. There's another listing on Gunbroker that shows a threaded barrel for a few dollars more. Actually, those prices are not much more than they've been running for the last couple years.

The Sporter-profile barrel is quite a bit more light and nimble, and I've had good luck with mine. Mostly protecting my Dad's pecan orchard.

View attachment 94315

Actually, Doddg, if you look at the picture on this listing, it might seem as if it's fate that you buy it.: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/884860916

View attachment 94316

My gun count is higher than it's ever been, double what I had when I trimmed down to a new low; the rifles tripled after I joined the outdoor range.
    But, it made for a great summer with the hobby. :rockwoot:
    My CZ 512 semi-auto is the best shooting rifle I've got so I'm going to behave myself & not buy any other semi-auto rifle unless I stumble onto one that too good to pass up, which isn't going to happen in these times.
    I have been known to lose control in order to try something out, which is why my "trimming" didn't work out in the long run, doubling my "stock." :dunno:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I can help with your overload, I am sure you have a few items that I can't live without. Fire sale soon!

You've seen my patterns. :)
    Someone from INGO I kept crossing paths with from time to time buying/selling to each other & we have become very good friends.
    I told him just today that I need to sell some guns b/c I don't need this many, but I'm fighting it.
    I'll get to a point of having one of my selling frenzies one of these days.
    Not this week, though. :laugh:

I really like having a variety to shoot.
    Aeroflyer tried to teach me:
    - stop buying
    - shoot what you have
    - stop worrying about accuracy & figure out what you enjoy shooting.

The last bit about figuring out what I enjoy shooting w/o being consumed about accuracy is spot on.
    For example I sold a Sig Sauer 250 DAO that I really liked shooting but let it go since it wasn't as accurate as some others.
    Regret it.

Thegent219

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2020
    Hobart
    I miss my buckmark it was a great pistol , only thing I didn’t like is the 10 round mags but other then that is a great pistol and they make tons mods, hopefully I will add another to my collection, thank for sharing your story’s!!

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I had planned on looking at a Buck bark this weekend and looked on YouTube and seen a lot of favorable reviews. But it appears for take down the top "strap" or sight base needs to be removed and are attached with two screws. Looks like there was some kind of lock washer for each screw , one reviewer said to apply loc-tite when reinstalling which seems like a lot to do. Would the lock washers keep the base secure?

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I had planned on looking at a Buck bark this weekend and looked on YouTube and seen a lot of favorable reviews. But it appears for take down the top "strap" or sight base needs to be removed and are attached with two screws. Looks like there was some kind of lock washer for each screw , one reviewer said to apply loc-tite when reinstalling which seems like a lot to do. Would the lock washers keep the base secure?

Yes the grip washers are important. But I do not lock tight the screws. Performing maintenance when cleaning and checking screws in field is part of my routine. If you tighten the rear screw too tight you can interfere with the bolt movement.

Top Bottom