• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    I've been researching for a good .38 snubby for sometime now and I've looked at the standard stuff:

Smith and Wesson: Excellent, fits my needs...EXPENSIVE!
    Ruger: A bit cheaper, excellent quality...heavier than most though.
    Taurus: Cheaper than Ruger, seems like a decent balance between cost and quality.

Finally, the subject, Charter Arms Undercover. Cheapest, light, small, but I'm leery of the quality.

What have been your experiences with Charter Arms handguns, or any of the others I've mentioned?

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    It's hard to go wrong with a revolver.
    they either go bang or they don't.

Armscor has 2 revolvers for $169 at SOG and $10 more at Centerfire Systems.

They get good reviews for fit and finish on The High Road.

Armscor makes the Rock Island 1911's

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    If you have analyzed everything about the Charter and quality is your only concern, get it. Charter makes quality products.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    All,

Thanks for the input.

abnk,

That's what I was hoping to hear. With inflation taking hold again, you gotta watch every penny before making a purchase. Time to start saving for a new snubby!

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Eastern In.
    I don't know about the Charter Arms .38., but I had one of their .44 Bulldogs with a 2 inch barrels for years, until my brother in law talked me out of it. Excellent revolver. Currently I have a Taurus model 85 and a Taurus model 850, both with the snubbie barrel and I highly recommend them, also.

campbellrex

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    i bought a off duty back in 90 still got it fits in the pocket real good used to carry mine in vest pocket when riding nice and lite

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Charter Arms has had some recent issues with their overall quality. They are currently under new management for the 4th time in about 10 years. That being said, if you can find one of the OLDER Charter Arms snubbies, say around 1975-1985 timeframe, they are decently built weapons. My mother relies on an older .38 Undercover and is happy with it. I have used it on occasion when I would fly home for a visit and had no other weapon to carry. You need to check them every hundred rounds or so and make sure all the screws stay tight.
    If it were my decision, I believe I would search around for a used Smith J-frame. they made hundreds of thousands of them and the quality is top notch. Should be able to find a decent used one at a larger gun show for around $250-$350. I would stay away from newer Taurus models also, I liked an older Model 65 I had, it seemed much better built than their new stuff.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Basic problem was the fact that the newer (post- 1995) guns were falling apart after a few hundred rounds. Screws were backing out, ejector rods backing out, several owners reported guns "locking up" and triggers freezing after only several rounds. Source was an issue of GUNS magazine sometime last year. I don't know exactly what issue. I personally think that the earlier guns didn't have these problems. As I said, my mothers old Undercover works fine. I know a couple guys with the .22 they made, the "Pathfinder", and they love them. Several guys with Bulldog Pugs, the .44 Special model, like them also. If you check one out, just make sure it ejects properly, ejector rod is tight, and check the crane to frame fit, these guns work themselves loose easily. I also wouldn't fire +P rounds in one, just standard velocity stuff.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Dewidmt, thanks for your input. The OP needs to hear all sides of the argument and decide for himself.

My only experiences have been with two .44 Spl Bulldog Pugs (post 2000 production). One new and the other a heavily used one. Both worked just fine, but in all honesty, I have never experienced a problem with any revolvers.

The main reasons I like Charter are their simplicity and modest price. Also the trigger pull is very pleasant. Compared to Taurus revolvers tjhe Charter's trigger is much smoother, cleaner, and crisper.

Here are some relevant links:

Charter 2000 "Off Duty" .38 Special Revolver
    Charter Arms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    GunWeek

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    reviving a 2 yr old thread.....I'm looking for a snubbie and stumbled upon charter arms. I am interested in hearing from those who actually own one please. not, i know a guy.... 12 oz in 5 shot .38 piques my interest. but fear of the unknown is preventing me from "pulling the trigger". Also for 30'ish more dollars, i could pick up the LCR. decisions, decisions.

Charter Arms 38 Special Undercover Lite/2" Stainless Barrel/ for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $361.00

Can anyone offer some objective advice. I'd appreciate it.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    reviving a 2 yr old thread.....I'm looking for a snubbie and stumbled upon charter arms. I am interested in hearing from those who actually own one please. not, i know a guy.... 12 oz in 5 shot .38 piques my interest. but fear of the unknown is preventing me from "pulling the trigger". Also for 30'ish more dollars, i could pick up the LCR. decisions, decisions.

Charter Arms 38 Special Undercover Lite/2" Stainless Barrel/ for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $361.00

ive handled, but never fired one. comparing it to the lcr though, it seems like it would be $30 well spent to upgrade.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield

I have personally owned one for the past 10 years or so, and absolutely love it. I used it often as a BUG or to carry concealed on the ankle when clothes selection demanded it. It is fairly light, well balanced, and shoots great.

I have since started using a S&W airweight as my BUG or for that application, but still own and occassionally shoot the charter. In fact, I bought a second one about two years ago, but sold it because I figured I didn't need two. I now regret that decision.

My father owned it prior to me, and put at least a few hundred rounds through it. I am uncertain of the time frame of when he purchased it though, and if it was new or previously owned. The only issue I have ever had was the cylinder release latch became loose and sloppy, and would not allow the cylinder to swing out. You had to pull on the cylinder rod towards the end of the barrel to swing it out. Minor fix.....and other than that it has been flawless.

Last edited:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Like Sam, I've had a Charter Arms BullPug .44 Special for about 10 years now and still use it as a carry piece. It's a work horse. I have no issues recommending them to anyone.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Have one of the 20 year old ones

Have never had any trouble with it. Was always a good gun to carry fishing with a couple of shot shells for snakes!

Top Bottom