• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I've been running a Glock for the last couple years in USPSA matches. Of my many complaints about the design of the gun, its grip texture..... Or lack thereof.... Is one of my biggest. They are slick and don't work well with a high grip.

I had tried grip tape, but it always came loose on me. I tried the goo for your hands, but it affected my reloads and WH transitions and adjustments during the draw. I put a mild stipple on it, a pattern that was more than adequate on my 2011, but it didn't really help as much as I wanted. In addition to the slick plastic, the flat sides and small width made it hard for me to get good purchase.

So I decided to replicate the "Burner" grips I used to run on my Beretta.

i finally got some rounds through it today, and the difference was remarkable.

final result:
    imagejpg5_zpscc18cf09.jpg

I started with a good cleaning/scrubbing with electrical contact cleaner and masked it off really well, including sealing up the gun to keep the abrasive out.
    imagejpg1_zps3e7bc296.jpg

Next came the epoxy,
    imagejpg2_zpsb87cc930.jpg

Then the abrasive. I lightly patted it down into the epoxy.
    imagejpg3_zpsbc4e6410.jpg

.... And removed the masking...
    imagejpg4_zpsad71fac8.jpg

Just remember, this is a competition mod. Grippy guns will get you chafed in the streets.

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Or you could have got stick ons from Talon Grips

I had tried grip tape, but it always came loose on me.

I have tried several types of grip tape, incl those other competitors swore held very well, and they never stayed on for me. Some didn't even last through a single 1hr dryfire session.

I also dislike having the grip applied to the front and backstraps.

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    That's interesting. I've never seen that before. How well does that hold up over time?

I did this on some beretta grips many years ago and it lasted many tens of thousands of rounds and probably hundreds of hours of dryfire.

fingers crossed it does as well on the glock material

-rvb

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Interesting!

I have more trouble with the top end. I have quite a bit of grip tape on the slides of my Glocks.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Interesting!

I have more trouble with the top end. I have quite a bit of grip tape on the slides of my Glocks.

Probably using that hipster new-age over-the-top racking method? Pinch her hard in the a&$ how she likes it and that problem will go away. Granted, the serrations could be a little deeper....

i do wish glock would add front serrations, but that's more for administrative use (eg ULSC).

-rvb

Jmak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Before I found this thread I ordered a Pachmayr Tactical Grip Glove. It was just under $18.00 with shipping. I looked at Talon and some others bur decided to go as I did. I wanted rubber and not an abrasive. It was from Rockyourglock. (For a Glock 19)

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I've been running a Glock for the last couple years in USPSA matches. Of my many complaints about the design of the gun, its grip texture..... Or lack thereof.... Is one of my biggest. They are slick and don't work well with a high grip.

I had tried grip tape, but it always came loose on me. I tried the goo for your hands, but it affected my reloads and WH transitions and adjustments during the draw. I put a mild stipple on it, a pattern that was more than adequate on my 2011, but it didn't really help as much as I wanted. In addition to the slick plastic, the flat sides and small width made it hard for me to get good purchase.

So I decided to replicate the "Burner" grips I used to run on my Beretta.

i finally got some rounds through it today, and the difference was remarkable.

final result:
    imagejpg5_zpscc18cf09.jpg

I started with a good cleaning/scrubbing with electrical contact cleaner and masked it off really well, including sealing up the gun to keep the abrasive out.
    imagejpg1_zps3e7bc296.jpg

Next came the epoxy,
    imagejpg2_zpsb87cc930.jpg

Then the abrasive. I lightly patted it down into the epoxy.
    imagejpg3_zpsbc4e6410.jpg

.... And removed the masking...
    imagejpg4_zpsad71fac8.jpg

Just remember, this is a competition mod. Grippy guns will get you chafed in the streets.

-rvb

Looks like a good way to fix a bad stipple job. Will keep my eye out now for a cheap gun someone screwed up.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Wow... that seems abit extreme. I mean it looks good and I bet it works great, but You've pretty much ruined the value of your handgun so you could get a grip. There are better, less permanent options. I've had my talon grips for a year or two and they've held up very well, and haven started to separate from the lower. I only paid like 10$ for them. I wonder if that epoxy has weakened your lower as well.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Wow... that seems abit extreme. I mean it looks good and I bet it works great, but You've pretty much ruined the value of your handgun so you could get a grip. There are better, less permanent options. I've had my talon grips for a year or two and they've held up very well, and haven started to separate from the lower. I only paid like 10$ for them. I wonder if that epoxy has weakened your lower as well.

It's a glock. It's a tool, not a collectible. when setting up a gun to help me compete, resale value isn't a consideration.
    permanent was the goal because grip tape sucks.

-rvb

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Probably using that hipster new-age over-the-top racking method? Pinch her hard in the a&$ how she likes it and that problem will go away. Granted, the serrations could be a little deeper....

i do wish glock would add front serrations, but that's more for administrative use (eg ULSC).

-rvb

Yeah, you're right. I used to pinch the slide between the base of my thumb and palm in front of the ejection port . . . when all I shot were 1911s. It didn't work so well with hands for other guns, so I learned to grab over the top behind the ejection port. Which sucks when you have slide mounted safeties like your trusty Beretta or my Beloved S&W 5904.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Oy what? I wouldn't buy it after the grips, and I would have before. I'm sure I'm not the only one, since I know alot of people feel the same way about stippling jobs. Bottom line, it's his gun, so as long as he's happy. But he posted it on a forum that I am a member of, and I stated my opinion.

Also, your confusing Talon Grips with grip tape. They are similar, but the aggregate on the talon grips is smaller, so more comfortable. The glue is very sure footed, and its one custom cut piece that wraps around your grip and sticks to itself. Its not moving, and its not coming off unless you peel it off....

I am really not trying to diss you, I come off as an *******, Im sure... I just have a hard time wrapping my head around a permanent modification like yours, when the Talon grips work so well, and make no permanent changes to your lower...

Difference of opinion...

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Also, your confusing Talon Grips with grip tape. They are similar, but the aggregate on the talon grips is smaller, so more comfortable. The glue is very sure footed, and its one custom cut piece that wraps around your grip and sticks to itself. Its not moving, and its not coming off unless you peel it off....

I just have a hard time wrapping my head around a permanent modification like yours, when the Talon grips work so well, and make no permanent changes to your lower...

let's not kid ourselves w/ symantics and trade names. talon grips is just pre-cut grip tape, of which there are lots of textures out there. I tried TruGrip, which like the talon, people said would never come off, last forever, yada yada. It lasted [STRIKE]about an hr[/STRIKE] 10 draws [I just checked my practice notes] before it was sliding off under my grip.

Part of it is my technique, and I know that. W/ my high grip I end up putting a lot of forward strain on the grip in that top part of the grip (where glocks are completely smooth), especially on the draw as the WH sort of slides into position.

If you were closer, I'd say let me borrow your gun for a couple nights of dryfire and we'll see how well your talon grips hold up.

Regardless, as I said above, I also don't like grip tape on the front/back straps. Even if talon grips were the miracle of stickiness they claim, I would still like my solution better...

As for being permanent, worst case is I get glock to replace the lower for me for a couple hundred bucks.
    BTW, it's not for sale.

-rvb

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Permanent modifications will get you killed on the dynamic 2 way range, and if you manage to survive the prosecutor will use the modification to prove murderous intent.

Top Bottom