• ...and so much more!
  • Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Hey fellow INGOers.

I was wondering if someone could tell me where I could find information on the series 1 kimbers...Ive got my eye on one (classic custom target in stainless).

I cant find out specs or anything from just a quick google/yahoo search.

It also seems that the series 1 guns are more desireable....are they better shooters?

God bless
    -Shred

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Main difference is no firing pin safety which generally equates to a little better trigger. Most people would also tell you that their quality is a notch above a Gen II. I've had several and consider them as good as anything until you go into a really high end 1911 (Wilson, Nighthawk ETC)
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Main difference is no firing pin safety which generally equates to a little better trigger. Most people would also tell you that their quality is a notch above a Gen II. I've had several and consider them as good as anything until you go into a really high end 1911 (Wilson, Nighthawk ETC)
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]

^^^^^^
    True that...I would say the quality is perhaps two notches above the current II's but that is opinion only. They are sweet.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I have five series 1 (including three with Clackamas roll marks, one in the 3xxxx serial range) and four series 2, and I can't tell any difference in quality between them.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Did they only come with plain steel barrels or was stainless available?

HOw is parts interchange-ability on them?

Anything about them different than a regular ole Colt?

God bless
    -Shred

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    It is a series 70 1911 (no firing pin safety and has an internal extractor), from the feedback I have come across it is a good 1911. There is a few current production 1911's right now that are as good and a lot easier to find as only seen one of those for sale in the last few years, it just depends what are u looking for and budget.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    ^^^ Good comparison. ^^^

Kimber was one of the first companies to mass produce 1911's with all the custom stuff already on them right out of the box.
    The Series I are more sought after than the series II just like Series 70's are more in demand than Series 80's for Colts.
    The Series I will usually bring a higher price if it is in good condition.

I am not sure about the barrels, but if you have the serial number Kimber can tell you the date of manufacture.

Quit worrying.
    Series I Kimbers are an 'in spec' 1911 from one end to the other.
    Even more so than the Series II with their Swartz style firing pin safety modification.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    It has been my experience that the I's are better outta the box. My last two II's have had FTE/stovepiping issues, and one has an issue with the slide not moving fully forward on slide release OR during cycling. My I never had any of those problems. It's anecdotal, so take it for what it is. (I'm actually starting to sour on Kimber because of this.)

Aside from the function issues, there was no difference in accuracy/precision in any of them that wasn't the fault of the shooter. They all will put the bullet where the shooter is aiming.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Thanks for all the info....I went ahead and pulled the trigger on my brand new (unfired) Kimber Series 1 Classic Custom Target in stainless.

I felt bad shooting her in unfired condition, but I could resisted...put 124 rounds though it and boy is she awesome...gonna make a new post about it here in a few once I get some pictures loaded.

God bless
    -Shred

Top Bottom