Rainy Saturday at the Range (lots of pics!)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Although the ground was still wet and mushy, the temps were climbing awfully close to 50, so I made the journey down to Brown County after work this afternoon to visit with lovemywoods, Kr_Treefrog2, and Mom.

After some general chatter and INGO gossip, three of us decided to pack up a few guns and head to the range-- well..... the temporary range. The normal range is under construction, as we just put in several drainage lines in early winter, and are waiting until the Spring to regrade and reseed the entire area.

2hobdb5.jpg

Pack up the gear!!

2efm4a1.jpg

For this range session, we shot along the length of the dam. We had a few things we wanted to accomplish:

• Zero Kr_Treefrog's Millett DMS-1 on her Colt LE6920.
    • Zero my Primary Arms Micro clone on my Bushmaster M4.
    • Get a little trigger time on lovemywoods' Kimber Pro Elite.
    • Test some steel of unknown pedigree for toughness.
    First up was zeroing the Treefrog's scope. She recently added several new accessories-- namely, a Midwest Industries MCTAR-20 free-floating rail, Magpul XT railcovers, Daniel Defense QD sling mount, A.R.M.S. #40 low-profile BUIS, and Badger GenII extended charging handle latch.

i24vue.jpg

21joohx.jpg

n4xmys.jpg

2q3taih.jpg

When it came time for pictures, the Treefrog got a little camera shy. I promised I wouldn't post this one on INGO (good thing I had my fingers crossed!! ;)).

x6bqx4.jpg

We set up on a shooting bench, with a target stand set 50 yards away. We used 9" paper plates with 1" orange dots in the middle (fancy!!).

2j506x1.jpg

Slowly but surely, she brought her point-of-aim to match the point-of-impact.

21lka6v.jpg

lovemywoods did an excellent job spotting her hits.

sltnk8.jpg

One trick that we've found that works REALLY well when using a spotter, is to have a spare target physically in front of you. Then the spotter can point to EXACTLY where you hit on your target. This helps the shooter to decide what adjustments need to be made to the scope.

10gwldc.jpg

Here is lovemywoods giving a brief explanation of MOA clicks, and how they need to be adjusted to give the desired results.

2qthhme.jpg

Kr_Treefrog2 was pleased with her results!

xbfqdh.jpg

Feeling a little left out, I tried my hand at hitting a hanging bowling pin, offhand, 140 yards away, with the Millett set on 4x. I hit it on the first shot. :D (to be fair, lovemywoods hit the same pin on his 2nd shot :yesway:)

28v6t8x.jpg

*esrice pats himself on the back*

2hghjcp.jpg

Oh yeah. . . . I also shot some ice. . . . .:ar15:

zvopk7.jpg

We were starting to run low on daylight, but lovemywoods did get through a couple of mags on his Kimber Pro Elite. Amazingly, the rounds went where they were supposed to go. He gave credit to Steve_MI by saying "when I do what Steve told me to do, it works!"

sazd4g.jpg

Daylight was gone, so I had to zero my PA Micro in the dark. Luckily, my weapon-mounted Streamlight PolyTac came to the rescue, making it quite easy to see what I was doing. The little Streamlight Microstream that I carry in my pocket came in handy for lighting up the adjustment knobs.

14ax9ms.jpg

5v4rwh.jpg

Getting back up to the house, we decided to try one more thing. lovemywoods had recently been given some steel plates of unknown pedigree. We were curious what kind of abuse they could take, so I shot a 12" plate from 70 yards, offhand, in the dark, with my Streamlight lighting the way. I hit 4 times out of 6 shots. Here were the results:

(the flat hits are from .22s last week)

2lm8far.jpg

2e50av4.jpg

jta2dz.jpg

So it looks like the general consensus is, DON'T SHOOT THIS STEEL WITH .223! :D

So what does EVERY INGOer (except Shay ;)) want after an evening at the range? Steak and potatoes of course!!

dwcqag.jpg

(lovemywoods says I'm mean for posting this picture!)

So what did we learn?

• Kr_Treefrog2 is an incredible shot.
    • Steve_MI may be right. . . . . sometimes.
    • You can still have fun at the range, even if the weather is crappy.
    • Shooting stuff is fun! :D

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

dwcqag.jpg

(lovemywoods says I'm mean for posting this picture!)

So what did we learn?

• Kr_Treefrog2 is an incredible shot.
    • Steve_MI may be right. . . . . sometimes.
    • You can still have fun at the range, even if the weather is crappy.
    • Shooting stuff is fun! :D
    • Mrs. Lovemywoods looks to be an amazing cook
    • esrice is mean-even his father says so!

Additions in red are mine. Evan: FTFY.

Great review, and like much of INGO, I am quite jealous.

Thanks for posting!

Blessings,
    Bill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    I enjoyed reading your post and the pictures. The picture that caught my eye ( and envy :)) was where esrice was shooting over the pond. In the backround was the house overlooking the woods and pond. I understand why lovemywoods loves the woods. :D Beautiful!

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I'm insanely jealous right now. Not only was I drinking my morning weight loss shake while viewing your steak dinner, but I did not get to shoot anything yesterday. Actually shooting would hurt a lot right now since I broke a finger while at work yesterday.
    But thanks for the pics, anyway. Looks like a great time!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Additions in red are mine.

Although Mom is an excellent cook in her own right, lovemywoods was the one who whipped up the dinner!

Posts like this are what makes this site unique (Great)!!! tahnks

My hope with threads like these is that it allows other INGOers to share in the experience. I know I really enjoy other folk's range reports as well (especially when there's pictures).

Next time you see me Evan, smack me up side the head....HARD.....

I hope your evening was just as eventful! ;)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom