• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Over the weekend, I made a trip out to Plainfield Shooting Supplies. I was annoyed to see that they had a "No Loaded Firearms" sign posted on the front door. I complied and unloaded before entering, but I'm curious as to why there are any gun stores in Indiana that have this irritating little message posted. Certainly, we spend plenty of time discussing, and occasionally boycotting, other (non-gun) businesses that ask us to disarm, but gun stores, which should be the one place that respects the RKBA, somehow get a free pass.

Can anyone explain why? If nothing else, it's certainly safer for me to keep my gun holstered than to draw it and unload it and possibly risk an AD/ND in the process. If they mean "unload, unless it's holstered", then the signs should say that. I believe PSS's sign specifically says "ALL guns".

So far, I know of only two shops that are posted. One is Plainfield Shooting Supply, and the other is Popguns.

I've decided that until the signs come down, I refuse to spend a dime at either one.

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    Over the weekend, I made a trip out to Plainfield Shooting Supplies. I was annoyed to see that they had a "No Loaded Firearms" sign posted on the front door. I complied and unloaded before entering, but I'm curious as to why there are any gun stores in Indiana that have this irritating little message posted. Certainly, we spend plenty of time discussing, and occasionally boycotting, other (non-gun) businesses that ask us to disarm, but gun stores, which should be the one place that respects the RKBA, somehow get a free pass.

Can anyone explain why? If nothing else, it's certainly safer for me to keep my gun holstered than to draw it and unload it and possibly risk an AD/ND in the process. If they mean "unload, unless it's holstered", then the signs should say that. I believe PSS's sign specifically says "ALL guns".

So far, I know of only two shops that are posted. One is Plainfield Shooting Supply, and the other is Popguns.

I've decided that until the signs come down, I refuse to spend a dime at either one.
    you are going to have a hard time then in the Indy area. PSS, Bradis, popguns, premier arms all have this policy as far as I know. The only one in the area I have been in that doesn't is Gander, and I don't consider them a gun shop. Of the 4 times I have asked basic firearms questions of their firearms department staff they had no clue to the answers. I told them to google it and left. I think several of them have the rule because you will get guys who will come in there and whip out their weapon to show someone, or try to sell it etc and they want to avoid that. I don't blame them, they have to deal with a lot of idiots. I'll stand in there a lot and watch and listen to people who are coming in, and could totally see someone doing something stupid. I don't mind, I always just put my weapon in my truck safe and go in.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Youre complaining about being disarmed going into potentially the safest place in the world against crime? Are people THAT SCARED of the world around them? No offense to anyone, but GOODNESS GRACIOUS!

There is always someone ND in a gunstore, its a safety issue!

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Bah. Around here, the signs say personal defense weapons are excluded, but must remain holstered. It's not such a big stretch.

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    The only place I remember not having the sign around indy was AAC. The way I see it is that it is their shop and their rules.

If they feel safer with the sign up let them keep it up. I went to the beech grove store and they had the sign up ( and 3 LEO cars outside ) so I walked in and asked if they wanted me to unload, he said it was fine.

If I CC ill just let things be how they are.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Many people make the (bad) assumption that all the guns in a gun shop are unloaded.

Many people are in the (bad) habit of putting their finger on the trigger of every gun they pick up.

The rest is just an exercise in probabilities.

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    For me its a respect thing. I respect Bob at PSS. And it's his rules, so I respectfully agree to them, life goes on all fine and dandy and i continue to drink koolaid and eat my cupcakes. :rockwoot:

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Many people make the (bad) assumption that all the guns in a gun shop are unloaded.

Many people are in the (bad) habit of putting their finger on the trigger of every gun they pick up.

Many people in other parts of the country are somehow able to handle carrying in a gun shop. Does Indiana just breed a hardier class of idiot?

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    Annie and some of the others are correct.
    Many times we tell each other about this store or that which posts a NO Firearms policy on the entry door and we almost unanimously declare that if we MUST disarm then we choose NOT to frequent that place of business.
    A gun shop is NO different. IMHO
    That said I have visited PSS on one occasion and purchased a Taurus PT1911... as the sign read I returned to my truck and put my loaded firearm under the driver's seat and proceded inside to do business. I have never been back. I have been to several other gun shops that do NOT post that particular policy on the front door and spent money. I might say that I would have boycotted PSS that one day butI drove from Terre Haute to Plainfield just to buy that particular gun. I have not returned for anything else. :soapbox:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Youre complaining about being disarmed going into potentially the safest place in the world against crime? Are people THAT SCARED of the world around them? No offense to anyone, but GOODNESS GRACIOUS!

I fail to see where I said anything about either fear or safety.

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    AAC doesnt have a sign and i have never seen one at Premier...i always carry in there loaded. I hate gun stores that say no loaded guns....makes it seem like they dont practice what they preach.

just my :twocents:

Last edited:

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.

I think you missed the point.

Their business and livelihood depends on people having the right to purchase and own firearms. If they themselves try to restrict our rights it is especially repugnant.

Gun shops get robbed (or an attempt is made) everyday. The owner of 500 Guns (Joe) would be dead today if it weren't for the lack of knowledge of how a squeeze-cocker works and a hidden gun in the restroom. Bad guys can get the drop on even the best prepared individual.

Gun shop owners above all people should understand this!!

:cheers:

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    The only place I remember not having the sign around indy was AAC. The way I see it is that it is their shop and their rules.

If they feel safer with the sign up let them keep it up. I went to the beech grove store and they had the sign up ( and 3 LEO cars outside ) so I walked in and asked if they wanted me to unload, he said it was fine.

If I CC ill just let things be how they are.
    Yea. As far as I know, AAC doesn't have a sign. The guys at Beech Grove were fine with it, as long as he wasn't handing it to them loaded or anything stupid like that.

I do remember hearing a story about 500 Guns getting robbed (or attempted), and the owner was shot. That is why he doesn't like loaded weapons, and why you need to be buzzed in.

I always presume (as you should) that every gun in the store is loaded. , The first thing I do when I am handed a gun that I want to look at, even after the employee checks that it is clear, is I drop the magazine, lock the slide back, and check it again. After I do this, I feel safe handling it, racking it, feeling the trigger, etc. And all of that is done in a clear direction.

I will neither confirm, nor deny, whether I carry a loaded weapon in these stores, but I have never had an issue at any of them.

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I think you missed the point.

Their business and livelihood depends on people having the right to purchase and own firearms. If they themselves try to restrict our rights it is especially repugnant.

Gun shops get robbed (or an attempt is made) everyday. The owner of 500 Guns (Joe) would be dead today if it weren't for the lack of knowledge of how a squeeze-cocker works and a hidden gun in the restroom. Bad guys can get the drop on even the best prepared individual.

Gun shop owners above all people should understand this!!

:cheers:

and i think the more armed good guys in the store, the better :draw:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I think several of them have the rule because you will get guys who will come in there and whip out their weapon to show someone, or try to sell it etc and they want to avoid that.

Then why not have a rule that says "Keep it holstered. If you're selling or trading, it better be unloaded." Just the way Gander Mountain does it.

For me its a respect thing. I respect Bob at PSS. And it's his rules, so I respectfully agree to them

I don't know Bob, so I am not in a position to either offer or withhold respect. Yes, it's his rules and I have no problem with him setting his own rules. I just don't agree with them, so I'll shop elsewhere.

Top Bottom