Range Report: Pistol Refresher With Local Training Group (pics/vids)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Last year myself and a few like-minded friends got together and formed a small training group. The purpose of the group was to have regular range sessions where we focused on specific skillsets in an effort to keep them sharp. The sessions aren't "open shoots", but rather times of very focused and concentrated refresher training.

We all come from similar training backgrounds, and have similar goals in regards to defense. This fosters an environment of sharing and leaning from each others' knowledge and experiences. I find this model is a great way to continue learning at low cost in between professional training courses throughout the year.

Slacking off for the first part of 2012, we finally got together yesterday afternoon. Our focus was pistol work, running several different timed and scored drills. Yesterday's group was comprised of myself, shooter521, akaindy, and troy_mp. lovemywoods was our gracious host, providing both the range and the fantastic smoked turkey dinner. A special thanks to Mrs. lovemywoods for takings lots and lots of pictures. Not only do they allow us to share our time with our fellow INGOers, but they also serve as excellent diagnostic tools for later critiquing our own techniques.

We started off with a basic setup consisting of several target stands, some Bobcat Steel rounds, and a Bobcat Steel dueling tree.

3ad928a0.jpg

bbf00a00.jpg

b5495229.jpg

shooter521 provided all of the drills for the day. He did an excellent job of keeping us all focused and in line.

7f479c34.jpg

2c5d5fac.jpg

a3078810.jpg

One drill we ran was the MEU(SOC) Qualifcation Standards. This was a very interesting multi-stage course of fire that focused on accuracy at varying distances and positions.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wf69nmykPU[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t33ilNexiao[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSDgrLipWLw[/ame]

Another interesting drill was one used by US Air Marshals. The focus there was speed AND accuracy. Every stage had par times, and they MUST be met in order to qualify. That, and you have to get a passing number of hits. My first attempt was awful. I only passed the times for 2 of the 7 stages. And my scored hits weren't even close to the minimum passing score. :xmad:

But after watching the others run the drill, and after running it again myself for a second time, it became one of my favorites. I think I'll be using this one more regularly as a performance benchmark.

esrice
    d2d1e3dd.jpg

6bd9aea0.jpg

9c4481d9.jpg

troy_mp
    845ba5fd.jpg

aadb4bea.jpg

656f15b0.jpg

shooter521
    fa95374a.jpg

b747eecf.jpg

46ddd2a7.jpg

akaindy

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIrW54HlbQ8[/ame]
    We also spent some time on steel. We did a couple renditions of a "walk back", where shooters started at 7 yards, shooting a round steel plate, moving back one shooter at a time until someone misses. On a 12" plate we ended up back in the woods, about 35 yards away.

And of course we had to do some head-to-head dueling tree duels!

f6d2a6ed.jpg

3918939e.jpg

(if you look closely, you can see the light reflecting off the actual bullet, marking its path like a laser beam)
    f8323622.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fkF03hVGrQ[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgjMNU1uAH8[/ame]

After we concluded our session, we broke out some rifles and other guns-- some to sight in, some to function test, some just to play with.

cc71537c.jpg

shooter521's .300BLK
    866eed4b.jpg

My new SBR, Project Iron Widow
    dab8c043.jpg

akaindy's custom Benelli M3
    81558353.jpg

shooter521 function testing his new Lage .22 upper
    837965bf.jpg

Did anyone know that Daewoo made rifles? :dunno:

9c7a03f5.jpg

After about 5 hours on the range we packed it up and headed for the house. lovemywoods and Mrs. lovemywoods prepared a fabulous meal of smoked turkey, corn, salad, and yeast rolls-- topped off with peach pie and ice cream. We were also treated to having bwframe join us!

I'm thankful to each of these gentlemen for what they contributed to our successful day. I learned things and was able to get in some real quality practice time, as well as spend time with people I call friends.

And of course, thanks to INGO for bringing us all together in the first place. :ingo:

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Great job guys.

Coming from you, sir, that means a lot. :yesway:

What a great day! Excellent weather, good and productive drills conducted in the company of like-minded friends, a venue that can't be beat, and fantastic food from our wonderful host (and hostess).

Special thanks to Mrs. LMW for taking pics that make us ordinary shmoes look like bad-asses. :D

troy_mp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Many thanks!

Esrice, akaindy, shooter521, lovemywoods and Mrs. lovemywoods:

Esrice ... well done re: your AAR. Quick, helpful, insightful and fun. Two thumbs up!

Thanks to each of you for a great day. In addition to providing the range, no small thing in and of itself, lovemywoods and esrice had set up the range for us prior to our arrival complete with everything you've seen in the pictures above and Mrs. lovemywoods, as mentioned above, very kindly provided the photographic insights ...that's all really going above and beyond and is very much appreciated. To say nothing of the exceedingly fine meal and camaraderie thereafter, (e.g.), very nice to have visited with bwframe in addition to everyone else! :ingo:

My "take-aways" upon reflection THUS far, (i.e.), hopefully even more as I continue to think about it, ...

*.) Per photographs ... I think I'd be better served having the reloads in hand and up closer to the gun before ejecting a magazine presently in use. It may not be much of an issue when a magazine presently in use is empty but given that reloads are also a part of immediately recovering from the cessation of a gunfight so as to top-off the gun and be ready to go again if need be, and in those instances a magazine presently in use may have some unexpended rounds ... better that I get in the habit of a single type of reload, (i.e.), get the fresh magazine up close to the gun before expending the magazine presently in use. That way I experience as little time as possible with an unloaded gun.

*.) In an effort to arrive at some solid balance between budget/time and recent/relevant/realistic honing of my skills so as to work toward proficiency I've wondered how often professional gunmen, (e.g.), Air Marshalls, practice. Toward beginning to answer that question I've learned from a good friend that "... they (Air Marshalls) qualify with their handguns quarterly, which is an 8-hour work day of drills and quals. So, 32 hours per year. This is in addition to force-on-force training, which involves weapon retention and Simunitions." As others have suggested I'm guessing they do additional work on their own too but per above is at least what's required by their agency.

An exceedingly fine day very much enjoyed and appreciated!

Take care,

Troy

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I wish I could have gotten there earlier to see you running drills. They look very interesting. A big thanks to akaindy for letting me shoot his slick Daewoo rifle.

It was a pleasure to join you folks for a wonderful dinner. Thanks for the invite Dave!

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I sit next to Mrs. LMW as she processes the pictures she takes.

A couple caught my eye from this range session.

In this first series of three rapid shot pictures, shooter521 has been directed to shoot, then make a rapid reload while going to his knees.

I was intrigued to see the pictures and realize how quickly and fluidly he did this! In the first frame, the magazine is already dropping from the mag well while the shooter has his weak hand on his new magazine.

In the second frame, you can see the empty magazine in mid-air as the shooter's hand moves toward the mag well.

In the third frame, the new magazine has been seated yet the empty magazine hasn't hit the ground yet!

21opma1.jpg

This second picture is a blow-up of of this picture (posted in the OP).

f8323622.jpg

In this view, you can see the streak of the bullet as it comes out of the expanding gas plume. You can also see the jet of hot gas still coming from the barrel. Note that the slide has just started moving backwards.

658sph.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom