• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    As I was leaving the movie theater yesterday, I spotted a small black back sitting on a seat in the row behind me. I thought it was a purse or something, but when I picked up it up it was heavy. I immediately realized it was a gun in a small square holster/bag. I continued heading out of the theater with it wondering what I was going to do with it. I really didn't want to turn it in to lost and found seeing that this theater has no gun stickers on the doors. Just as I was getting to the door of our theater I saw a man and his wife very nervously and anxiously heading back into the theater against the flow of people going out. I asked him if he left something in the theater recognizing the panicked look on his has face. I told him I knew what it was and I that I also had one on me as I handed it to him. He thanked me and said he couldn't believe he left it on the seat.
    I'm really glad I found it and not someone else. I'm sure he learned a very valuable lesson.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Off carry is a bad idea to me in public. The fact that he forgot it there is really a bad idea.

Maybe I will start looking for lost guns when I go to the theater.... nah, I would rather not go.

Good on you for being aware of the surroundings as well as looking for people.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Good job looking out for the other guy and not leaving it with the (probably) untrained management. Fully agree on off body carry, just not a good idea.

However I believe you both could have handled it better. You should have immediately called the local police and the FBI, he could have been a terrorist. At the very least you should have loudly demanded to see his ID and proof of ownership of the bag.

The owner, having realized that you were in possession of his firearm without his consent, should have drawn his back-up and proned you out on the rug while his wife stomped you and took back their stolen item.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    How did you know it was BBI?

I figured it HAD to be. It's been a week since he posted this...

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../419523-went-out-naked-today.html#post6674224
    I pat myself down before leaving the house. I swear I need a freaking checklist. I've yet to forget my gun, but keys, phone, radio, phone, pager, phone, badge, phone, and sometimes my phone have been left behind. I usually figure it out as I re-pat myself down in the car...usually.

...and we all know how much of a cold hearted b**** Murphy is. If I posted something like that I guarantee it would happen the next week.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I can imagine the pucker factor of the dude that left that gun behind. My employer has a strict no guns policy so I dutifully leave my EDC in the console of my vehicle everyday to comply with their policy and the law. One day, several hours after I had gotten home from work, I went to change clothes and....no gun! It didn't take long to relize I never took it out of the console when I got home but for several seconds there, I was probably feeling what that guy was feeling.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    As I was leaving the movie theater yesterday, I spotted a small black back sitting on a seat in the row behind me. I thought it was a purse or something, but when I picked up it up it was heavy. I immediately realized it was a gun in a small square holster/bag. I continued heading out of the theater with it wondering what I was going to do with it. I really didn't want to turn it in to lost and found seeing that this theater has no gun stickers on the doors. Just as I was getting to the door of our theater I saw a man and his wife very nervously and anxiously heading back into the theater against the flow of people going out. I asked him if he left something in the theater recognizing the panicked look on his has face. I told him I knew what it was and I that I also had one on me as I handed it to him. He thanked me and said he couldn't believe he left it on the seat. I'm really glad I found it and not someone else. I'm sure he learned a very valuable lesson.

Kudos for you for being courteous and proper and, thank God, you were able to find the individual who left it and properly return it to him.

Rare nowadays! :cool:

This is why off body carry is a bad idea. Good for you in helping him out!

I had a friend who was a helicopter pilot in Vietnam...he once told me something that has stuck with me always, and that is, if you have to egress (exit) your AC (aircraft) in an emergency, the only thing you will have with you for sure is the items you have strapped (secured) to your body...you can think all you want to but, in the end, your situation (circumstances) will dictate your actions, not your thoughts! He was shot-down twice (fortunately, two auto-rotations saved everyone's life) and once excited the AC with only what he had on him!

Even in my vehicle, it's always on my person...life lesson!

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    I'm really glad that someone else didn't pick it up.
    Bad situation - someone turns it to lost and found and the cops are most likely called and the owner has a lot of paperwork and explaining to do.
    Worse situation - someone picks it up and takes it home with them.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    How did you know it was BBI?

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../419523-went-out-naked-today.html#post6674224

...and we all know how much of a cold hearted b**** Murphy is. If I posted something like that I guarantee it would happen the next week.

I'm about to start passing out negative rep. Not because you think I'd lose a gun, but for implying I'd carry it in a small black purse thing. Guns deserve proper homes, like well crafted leather affixed to an equally well crafted belt.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Great work being alert and for doing the right thing by seeing that the rightful owner was able to retrieve it.
    I hope you were able to take a moment to give friendly advice to never use off-body carry.
    Rep on the way

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I'm really glad that someone else didn't pick it up.
    Bad situation - someone turns it to lost and found and the cops are most likely called and the owner has a lot of paperwork and explaining to do.
    Worse situation - someone picks it up and takes it home with them.

Could have been even worse if a kid, or an untrained adult, found it in the theater, and the gun went off ... injuring someone.

That would be harder to live with than a lost/stolen gun.Or some paperwork dealing with the police.

seagullplayer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    Crawford Co
    Good job OP. Great to see there are still some common sense good guys around.

I would be willing to bet that every possible what if situation played out in the guys mind the second he figured out he left it behind.
    And his wife probably came up with the one or two he might have missed on the trip home.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Good job on being aware of your surroundings and getting the guy his pea shooter back.

I always make sure to load heavy and have a tactical light when enjoying a good flick.

Sad that we have the need to defend ourselves.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A

I'm trying to get used to keyless start with a new car. Sheesh, talk about a PITA. "Where is the dang key, oh in my pocket". As my boys say "press the start button".

Good call OP. :yesway:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom