• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Sweet Jesus... I don't agree with everything he wrote, but it was minimal... I'd say he summed that up incredibly well.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I loved that. Very well written and organized. I hope a civil war doesn't happen, that would be worse than anyone could imagine.

cook4army

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    That was an excellent article. I wish the anti-gunners would read this and stop to think how many of the items listed they are guilty of doing.....but we all know that wont happen. We "gun nuts" will continue to live in the false pretense that we are not bad people, just people just like them.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    Sweet Jesus... I don't agree with everything he wrote, but it was minimal... I'd say he summed that up incredibly well.

An almost perfect article, but he seriously undermines his own argument with the following statements:

"We don’t trust anti-gunners because they say more than 30,000 people are killed each year by guns — a fact that is technically true, but the key piece of information withheld is that only a minor fraction of that number is murder; the majority is suicides and accidents."

"Yet fewer than 14,000 people are killed by guns of any kind each year."

14,000 is 46% of 30,000, which is damn near half, NOT "only a minor fraction". :facepalm: :dunno:

Even using the typical yearly average number of about 10,000 still results in about ONE THIRD of gun deaths being murders. Again, 1/3 is NOT "only a minor fraction" of anything, and calling it as such makes him (and like it or not, "us" by extension) seem callously indifferent to murder victims, especially those that truly are innocent (like the Sandy Hook kids) and not part of the majority of low-life-on-low-life murder "victims" (sic) of Darwinism in action.

He could have/should have used the numbers because they are correct, as much as we wish they were MUCH lower of only represented career criminals being "retired", but calling 10,000-14,000 murders "only a minor fraction" of an annual average of 30,000 deaths due to gunshot wounds was a very bad call... :twocents:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    No, anti-gunners are absolutely right: There can be no rational debate on this issue anymore. Anti-gunners don’t understand guns, they don’t understand crime, they don’t understand American history and traditions, they don’t understand gun owners and don’t care to understand us, and they reduce people like me to a debasing label or a number they’ve got no clue about.
    Anti-gunners reject our passions, our traditions, our knowledge, our experiences, our beliefs, our wisdom, our rights. Anti-gunners reject our very individuality by reducing us to labels, stereotypes and false or distorted statistics. Screw you for destroying that individuality and denying our humanity.

Well said.

jerryv

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Evansville
    It's a good article, but one-sided. The other half of the equation is 'why do the anti-gunners not trust the gun advocates?' Perhaps it's partly because of statements like this ...

'I do not want to live through a war in my own backyard. I do not want our children to grow up in such an America, either. So anti-gunners: Please stop, I beg you. See the writing on the wall before it’s too late.'

Which sounds like a threat... 'Please change your opinions, or there will be a civil war .. and WE have the guns.'

This kind of thinking feeds the minds of the pro-gun folks .. but will never change the mind of an anti .. it will only worry him more.

I think our cause is served best each time a news report or article tells the story of a person protecting him/her self and/or family with a weapon .. if our story is really about self-defense, that's the story we should tell.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    While I'm with you on a certain level, many if not most anti-gun liberals don't believe in self-defense either so those arguments will fall on deaf ears. They pass laws like "may issue" and "duty to retreat" and when I lived in Ohio, self defense claims ended up in front of a grand jury - as a matter of law - there was no such thing as "the county prosecutor will not be filing any charges".

I'm much more on the side of counter-attacking them with statistics, facts, and inconsistencies in how they read and interpret laws. Why? Because THEY frame the questions and I refuse to let THEM frame the question. The fact that we are talking about "gun" control in and of itself is because we have allowed them for the last century to frame the question.

If you even attempt to get a liberal to talk about infringing on abortion rights they start shouting "MY BODY, MY RIGHT" and you get nowhere if you want to talk about "reasonable limits" on abortion -- even to the extent of trying to save the life of a baby who was born alive and is now a "person" under the law.

No, sir, they fought too hard and too long for their rights to even entertain a discussion with anyone them about one single infringement.

And that's exactly how I feel about what the Founders did, and the thousands and thousands of brave men and women who gave to the uttermost for me and my children to be forever free of the debate over whether a man or woman may be armed - regardless of the type of weapon.

If you want to talk about gun control with me it better be about repealing the current infringements, or I want no part of it. MY GUN. MY RIGHT. NO CONCESSIONS.

/rant

Top Bottom