• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Have you ever had a firearm stolen from or with a vehicle?

• Total voters

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Given the recurring discussion about storing/keeping/securing a firearm in a vehicle, I thought this might be an interesting poll.

Have you ever had a firearm stolen from or with a vehicle?

(Poll responses are not public.)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No, because I have never been stupid enough to leave a firearm unsecured in a vehicle.

Mine was not unsecured. It was well hidden and in a locked vehicle in a parking garage next to the office. I parked there all the time. I know who took it just could not prove it. A new attendant was caught rifling through the cars. I know he took it....LEO knows he took it. This was in the mid-90's.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I worked with the Marines for 15 years as a private contractor and I never met a Marine I didn't like - until now.

I made a mistake and I admitted it.

bigkahunasix

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Mine was not unsecured. It was well hidden and in a locked vehicle in a parking garage next to the office. I parked there all the time. I know who took it just could not prove it. A new attendant was caught rifling through the cars. I know he took it....LEO knows he took it. This was in the mid-90's.

Sorry sport, "locked in my car" is not secured. Locked in a hidden,locked lock box secured to the vehicle by welding and/or bolts is secured....barely.

bigkahunasix

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I worked with the Marines for 15 years as a private contractor and I never met a Marine I didn't like - until now.

Truth is to painful for you so you project your unhappiness onto me by instant dislike...all while admitting guilt. A bit thin skinned aren't you??

You need a therapist.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country

Now I'm intrigued to know which one of us it was. Me or bigkahunasix? Doesn't really matter.

Look here's the deal, we have all done things we have regretted. The biggest thing is that you learn from your mistake and don't do it again. I understand that people cannot always carry inside of their work so they leave it in the car. If you are going to do this, make sure you have a safe of some sort locking it in your vehicle. Or you can do what I do when I go on vacations and I have to leave the gun in my room unattended in the hotels safe, I take the barrel out of it if it is a pistol and I take it with me and put it in my car. Just makes one more step for the criminal to have a working firearm. Yes it is overkill, but it makes me feel better.

dailylc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Evansville
    Unfortunately, my kids school won't let me carry there while I'm eating lunch with them, so it's locked in the vehicle. And the post office also frowns on it too.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    For those who've had this unfortunate experience, I do appreciate some of the details, like the circumstances, whether it was in the open, well hidden, in a locked/secured container, etc. (if you're willing to share them).

Thanks for all the responses so far (well, the constructive ones anyway :):).

Part of the intention of this poll is to help get some kind of a ball park idea of the risk involved.

bigkahunasix

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    SW Indiana
    OP, for your information pool- my firearm lockbox is secured in an older aftermarket stereo amp as a shell that has been gutted/reinforced and bolted/welded into my vehicles trunk area. It takes a "coke machine" style key to gain access and is wired to the vehicles alarm system. It also still has wires attached and appears functional but you would need a jackhammer to remove it. The fabricator and I built 3 of them.

I am a gunsmith/former LGS owner and known locally to have firearms, I am a target for a thief/thieves and take security VERY SERIOUSLY.

bigkahunasix

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    SW Indiana
    You keep all your guns on your person at all times? Because anywhere else just wouldn't be safe correct?

Another poor attempt at snarky humor. Is school out already.

Honestly people, if you think leaving you firearm "hidden" in a locked car is secure then you live in a fantasy world. A secure lockbox bolted to your vehicle is the BARE minimum.

You spend thousands of dollars buying guns to defend yourself and your families but then leave that firearm hidden (read-unsecured) in your car. You just armed the gang bangers...thanks.

For G*ds sake, use your brains and think.

Personal responsibility is a real thing folks, take some.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    OP, for your information pool- my firearm lockbox is secured in an older aftermarket stereo amp as a shell that has been gutted/reinforced and bolted/welded into my vehicles trunk area. It takes a "coke machine" style key to gain access and is wired to the vehicles alarm system. It also still has wires attached and appears functional but you would need a jackhammer to remove it. The fabricator and I built 3 of them.

I am a gunsmith/former LGS owner and known locally to have firearms, I am a target for a thief/thieves and take security VERY SERIOUSLY.

You take security very seriously yet tell the whole world where and how you hide your firearms in your vehicle and what is needed to bypass the locking mechanism... most vending machines have tubular locks (Pro-Lok PKX-A1 7-Pin Tubular Ace Pick at OutdoorPros.com) :dunno:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

So do I...security that is. Especially after loosing one.
    I was not and am not "Stupid" I am not careless. When my gun was stolen in car lock box's were not a common thing at least to my knowledge at that time. The area I parked my service truck in was secure. I knew the regular guy's and they were top notch. The new guy was the culprit and I had only met him that day.

"Stupid" is not a word I would use to describe this.

Sport.....really

Now, if I left the window down and the gun visible in the center console....yes, stupid.
    JMHO

Top Bottom