• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    With a lot of home invasions in the Evansville area lately, I would like to keep a round in my 9mm chamber at all times. Is that something that will weaken the spring or anything? Being cocked all the time seems like it isnt healthy. What do you think?

marsell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Yes. Fumbling with a holster or safety would be difficult enough to deal with in a high stress situation. Why would you want to deal with chambering a round when a split second could be the difference between life and death?

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    There's no point in having a self-defense weapon if you're not going to keep a round in the chamber. I hate seeing people do this--especially if they're carrying it. In short time that it takes to put a round in the chamber in a defensive situation, a skilled criminal will kill you.

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    I think you should leave the rounds sitting next to the mag. Then when the situation arises you load the mags, then load the gun. Its safest that way. Should probably lock you gun away from the ammo to.

But seriously keep one chambered. Always.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Only in the Movies..

Only in the Movies/TV shows does the shooter rack the slide (Hand gun OR Shotgun) just before it is used...

In "Real Life" keep one in the chamber, and observe any/all safetys--ESPECIALLY--The one between your EARS....Bill.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Be always prepared and ready for potentially deadly encounters in your living-room. EBG

how about the bedroom, dining room, basement, or (my worst nightmare) on the toilet ? :dunno:

:laugh:

Seriously though, always carry with one in the tube.

The only time the chamber should be empty is when cleaning the gun or between magazine changes. Can't think of a single good reason to have an empty gun. Just like an empty beer mug.. useless :D

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    With a lot of home invasions in the Evansville area lately, I would like to keep a round in my 9mm chamber at all times. Is that something that will weaken the spring or anything? Being cocked all the time seems like it isnt healthy. What do you think?

Yes, please keep one in the chamber at all times. I know of a guy who had his home broken into while he at was home. Two would-be thieves kicked in his door and charged the couch where he was taking a nap. He barely had time to reach for the gun to hold them off. Had I been in his situation, adrenalin pumping, I don't see myself remembering to rack the slide. NEVER forget it is a loaded weapon, though. :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The key is practice. Drill's are most important. Muscle memory over thought in life threatening situations. I practice draw, slide rack and point constantly as do my son's. We have not had the invasion issues around here and I am sad to hear that you live in fear. It is a sign of the times. That said we do drill for such things. We have locked & loaded pieces within reach but we still drill. If your mind and muscles are practiced in certain things, it is "automatic" when they need to perform. WE also drill in pick, un-lock and point.

Never leave an un safe pistol within reach of children. Safety first, last and always.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    how about the bedroom, dining room, basement, or (my worst nightmare) on the toilet ? :dunno:

:laugh:

Seriously though, always carry with one in the tube.

The only time the chamber should be empty is when cleaning the gun or between magazine changes. Can't think of a single good reason to have an empty gun. Just like an empty beer mug.. useless :D

About the Mug....seen them used very effectively even when empty....:D

Top Bottom