• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I've been wanting to get my own target stands for a while now. And after searching on the net, everything I've found is a little pricey for what you get. The stands are cheaply made, too flimsy, and very light. I wanted to get my money's worth. Soemthing that is going to last for a long time.
    So, I built my own.

I found these targets, and after using them in the training classes in the past, I knew that these were the ones to get.
    02df2adc.jpg

MidwayUSA Official USPSA Target Cardboard Package of 25 - MidwayUSA

Measuring the target, I had an idea for the dimensions I wanted to make MY stand.

b0840b1f.jpg

652f43da.jpg

6fb68198.jpg

44009580.jpg

c758a036.jpg

3bf4c915.jpg

5d12bf7c.jpg

The stand is 20 pounds. It's 20 3/4'' x 18'' x 6'' with 5ft furring strips.

The material is 1 1/2'' square tubing with 3/16'' wall.
    2'' Rectangular tubing .065 wall.
    7/16'' wire stakes.
    5/16-18 Flange Head Screws

I didn't just cut the material with the band saw, and weld it all together. I actually machined everything to size.
    This thing is solid.

So far, I've only made 2 of these.

I can't wait to try them out at the range! :ingo:

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Very nice! I built my own also! I found out that if you put the feet under the Cross bar instead of on the ends they will stack inside them self's, and you can carry allot more in a smaller space! Hope this helps!

Rotor Talker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Greenfield
    Good Work!

I have 2 like that I got from a guy on subguns.com, my next stands will be PVC, found the plans on an idpa site, will get the correct name but some good plans and ideas.

Last edited:

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Thanks guys!

Nicely done! I could make some at work, I'm just ready to get out of there when the day is done. :n00b: I've also thought about making some out of pvc(aka lovemywoods design), just haven't done it yet do to not shooting much. We'll have to meet up at MCFG so I can check them out.

S8MS-01904

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    A Carmel Roundabout
    Well it looks nice. I would change the plate steel for the threaded thumbscrews to just weld a nut in place. Saves cost and cut time. Plus I'd add something to store the stakes in the feet. Otherwise good to go, make me six.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Well it looks nice. I would change the plate steel for the threaded thumbscrews to just weld a nut in place. Saves cost and cut time. Plus I'd add something to store the stakes in the feet. Otherwise good to go, make me six.

Welding a nut in place would have made it look like crap. Plus, I kind of like the way it looks with the plate on there :D

With the stakes, depending on where you place the stand, you MAY not need to use the stakes.

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Are you going to sell them? How much?

When I was searching for target stands, I found you can buy them at a cheap price. But you do get what you pay for. The stands I found were made of thin material. And I know some of them would rock and tilt quite a bit, especially when being shot at. The reason why I made my own is because I wanted something quite a bit thicker. Something that would be heavy, and would last for a long time.

With material cost, labor, (I have to get SOMETHING for it;)) they would be a little expensive. Especially compared to the cheaper prices of the other stands out there.

I'm not saying I WOULDN'T sell them. If there was enough guys interested in them, ANYTHING can happen ;)

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    It's much more expensive to buy the tubing a stick at a time. Much cheaper to buy it by the pound. So if there are guys interested in this, just let me know and I'll come up with a very fair price.
    And we can work something out!

Top Bottom