• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Heidi Yewman, board member of the Brady Campaign, gets a carry permit, buys a gun, and purposely starts carrying it while being absolutely petrified of it and with no knowledge of how to handle it. Then she starts writing about her experience to demonstrate how horrible it is that people should be allowed to have guns. The fail is so thick you could use it as a crash barrier.

My Month With a Gun: Week One

Parts 2-4 of her series have finally been published. You can follow the continuing story here.

Last edited:

Lunati

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Warsaw
    Interesting read, will look forward to seeing her other articles as her "experiment" comes together lol

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    :wow:

You said the fail is thick with this.

Just like doing the minimum to get your DL doesn't mean you know how to drive.

I like that the cop called her an idiot and told her to take a class!

things wrong even if you don't include training.
    1) Carrying a gun have never fired a gun of any kind.
    2) Not shooting the gun you are going to carry to make sure it reliably feeds the ammo you intend to use.
    3)carrying in a uncle mikes Canvas holster.
    4) not cleaning and inspecting the gun when you bring it home. (this is part of the not shooting the gun before carrying it.)
    5) pulling up to cop performing a traffic shop with a gun and asking questions.

The list could go on.

Also the comments are scary.."she has a bad day and decides to go to starbucks and start shooting" :nuts: I have never had that thought or one even similar to that.

And, I bet she is carrying without a round in the chamber. But this is an assumption.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Fail. She was predisposed to fail and she got the outcome she was already expecting. :noway:

Her biggest fail is purposely not taking personal responsibility for gaining even general firearm knowledge and tries to play it off as the NRA would encourage that people should become the "good guys with guns" without having the proper knowledge on how they function or the rules of firearm safety.

I do believe any responsible firearm carrier and defendant of the 2nd Amend would say that if you are not totally comfortable and confident to carry and do not have the fortitude and knowledge to use one to defend your life with should maybe reconsider carrying one.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Fail. She was predisposed to fail and she got the outcome she was already expecting. :noway:

Her biggest fail is purposely not taking personal responsibility for gaining even general firearm knowledge and tries to play it off as the NRA would encourage that people should become the "good guys with guns" without having the proper knowledge on how they function or the rules of firearm safety.

I do believe any responsible firearm carrier and defendant of the 2nd Amend would say that if you are not totally comfortable and confident to carry and do not have the fortitude and knowledge to use one to defend your life with should maybe reconsider carrying one.

:+1:

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    You all need to get rid of your guns. If you don't, then 80% of your family members will die as a result.

The more I read the comments, the more upset I got. They seem to believe that people who carry will become possessed and go on a child killing rampage.

"NYC has always had a more responsible set of laws, and that’s great– but they’re in the minority."

The comments section is more full of FAIL than the article itself.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Maybe she'll find herself in a situation where she needs it and successfully defends herself with it. Wouldn't that be poetic justice?

Or, maybe she'll just discover that it doesn't wake up in the middle of the night and shoot her and her family, and her fears will be reduced. What is it with the way some people let their fears rule their lives? I know people that won't go fishing because they are afraid they'll drown. Good freakin grief.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Maybe she'll find herself in a situation where she needs it and successfully defends herself with it. Wouldn't that be poetic justice?

Or, maybe she'll just discover that it doesn't wake up in the middle of the night and shoot her and her family, and her fears will be reduced. What is it with the way some people let their fears rule their lives? I know people that won't go fishing because they are afraid they'll drown. Good freakin grief.

More Likely do to having zero experience actually shooting she would miss her target/fumble the gun and be killed with her own weapon. I hope she doesn't need to use the gun to defend herself.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    Wow.

Thanks for the single data point, Ms. Yewman.

I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box ...which scares me, as there are people who will actually take her seriously.

...there's not a face-palm emoticon big enough to express the level of fail for this story.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    As DR. Phil says, Common sense isn't common. To me she is going to carry a pistol on her hip without any training or use to prove a point. Is the pistol even loaded? What happens when her month of carry is over, new pistol never fired for sale at a good price or will she keep it ?In the comment section are a whole lot of sheeple.

Lunati

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Warsaw
    Just to bring up some discussion since the majority of the comments are related to training and firearm safety/knowledge. Do you think people should be required to take these steps before purchasing a firearm? I think she's trying to complete the minimum steps to own a firearm, if you think that is unreasonable are you guys implying this should be a standard then?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Just to bring up some discussion since the majority of the comments are related to training and firearm safety/knowledge. Do you think people should be required to take these steps before purchasing a firearm? I think she's trying to complete the minimum steps to own a firearm, if you think that is unreasonable are you guys implying this should be a standard then?

Yes. The standard is personal responsibility. That means that if you are scared to death of the firearm, you are a danger to yourself and others and you should take appropriate steps to remedy it. She refuses and in doing so she has become the problem. People get education by many means- friends, parents, professional. People do it all the time. She refuses to do anything, even when given good advise. Do you actually know anyone that irresponsible?

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Yes. The standard is personal responsibility. That means that if you are scared to death of the firearm, you are a danger to yourself and others and you should take appropriate steps to remedy it. She refuses and in doing so she has become the problem. People get education by many means- friends, parents, professional. People do it all the time. She refuses to do anything, even when given good advise. Do you actually know anyone that irresponsible?
    seems these days no one wants to take personal responsibility anymore. Apparently its not something that parents or schools are teaching these days.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    The Brady Campaign, does not want firearms eliminated, just like the gun lobby doesn't want there to be restriction free firearms. If either side got one of those, then they would be out of business.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    ^This^ She's trying to pigeon hole all firearm owners as irresponsible dolts that don't take the personal responsibility of owning and carrying a firearm seriously.

I find it intentionally insulting and consider the source as evidenced in this little tibit from the article on how she characterizes the opposition as "big hairy men with guns on their hips" (neanderthals) :rolleyes:

On March 12, 2010, I was surrounded by big hairy men with guns on their hips, yelling at me as I led a protest against Starbuck’s gun policy

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    she had to have a cop to check to see if it was loaded. did not know how to get magazine out. has no idea how it works at all.
    my conclusion from all this, she is carrying an empty weapon. she has not, and will not load the weapon, cause she does not know how, and is scared to death of it. a good guy with a gun stop a bad guy with a gun. well good guy, you had better hope the bad guy cries at the sight of a gun like you do, or he is going to shoot you when you pull your gun out and it goes click.
    no training, and no advice? Do you not have one male person in your life that has a pair?
    i know that last part is not actually fair to say, but its kinda true.
    hell google glock 19. you should come across at least a million things that will tell you all about your firearm and the real four rules of firearms.
    i realize now, i hate this women. almost as much as i hate the people posting the even worse comments on that page. we should bomb the hell out of it with our thoughts.

Top Bottom