• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    My wife and I are sitting in a Panda Express enjoying our Asian fast food the other day, when this guy walks in with his pistol clearly displayed for all the world to see. Great, right? Well normally, but...

I hate to stereotype, but this guy did not look right to me. He was jumpy and shaky, sweaty, and his eyes were darting from side-to-side. Gave me the total creeps. I now sort of know how the non gun-carrying public feels when someone walks into a restaurant or store with an open carry. Of course at the time, I was not carrying at all, and wished that I was. My wife commented as well that this guy looked like a loose cannon ready to go off somewhere.

I tried to justify his behavior... just got off of work, etc., but no matter what I could think of, I just kept coming back to: "Creeper!" I feel terrible for feeling this way, and his behavior is hard to describe in a forum post, but he was *not* normal, and the thought that he was OC'ing made me feel very uncomfortable.

Has anyone else experienced this? Aren't we supposed to be more tolerant of OC situations?

We got up and left.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    #1 - Trust your gut. Have had plenty of situations where the spidey sense went off. Not with an OCer though.

#2 - Carry your gun. Can't think of any situations where I wished I had a gun and didn't ('cause I've probably had it in those situations).

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I always get jumpy, shaky and sweaty when I go to Panda Express.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I tried to justify his behavior... just got off of work, etc., but no matter what I could think of, I just kept coming back to: "Creeper!" I feel terrible for feeling this way, and his behavior is hard to describe in a forum post, but he was *not* normal, and the thought that he was OC'ing made me feel very uncomfortable.

Has anyone else experienced this? Aren't we supposed to be more tolerant of OC situations?

We got up and left.

OC "tolerance" does not equate to ignoring other danger signs. Thugs, drunks, and a-holes can open carry just as easily as anyone else, and they do, despite what you may hear on gun forums. You looked at the totality of the circumstances, you detected a possible threat, and you acted on it. That's a win.

Your limbic brain is a finely tuned threat detection device. Listen to it. I hear so many people start off their statements after getting robbed with "I felt something wasn't right, but..." and then they explain their instinct away. Then they get victimized.

invent11

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 11, 2015
    Fishers
    Let's face it - not everyone that has a license to carry should. I have never been a fan of open carry because it lacks the element of surprise. People are automatically alarmed and alert by the site of it. If he had come to rob the place, you would be the first person he dealt with because of your exposed firearm. Never have understood why someone would want to stand out like this. I always carry my sig p938 - nobody even knows I have it in my pocket holster. The crook would never see it coming.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    #1 - Trust your gut. Have had plenty of situations where the spidey sense went off. Not with an OCer though.

#2 - Carry your gun. Can't think of any situations where I wished I had a gun and didn't ('cause I've probably had it in those situations).

+1

I have run into more than a few people who were carrying firearms that made me uncomfortable. I have no problem choosing to distance myself and keep my situational awareness fully engaged.

Top Bottom