• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Now that the cold weather is settling into Indiana, some folks change their EDC. If you are one of those people that carry something different in the winter than you do in the summer, what changes do you make? Do you change calibers due to the larger thickness coats add to clothing? Does the size of the gun change due to easier concealability with jackets? What about changes made to allow for shooting with gloves on?

Let's hear it INGO. Do you change your EDC for winter carry or do you maintain a consistent carry setup all year?

For my part, I remain somewhat consistent all year with a G23 being carried often. The main change for me is that in the summer, I opt for smaller pistols and 1911s more often and in the winter my G20 gets carried sometimes. I'm more likely to carry a full size gun in the winter but the main change I make is to carry guns with larger trigger guards if I'm going to spend enough time outdoors to need gloves on. As much as I love my 1911s, I find I cannot shoot them at all with mid to heavy gloves on.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Since all of my carry guns are steel I make sure there is a nice thick layer between gun and BA. ;)

I usually carry the same gun but in the winter I go with the shoulder rig more often.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I switch from in-waist carry of my SP101 to out side the pants in Bianchi holster. The thick coats cover it well and its easier to get to if the need arises.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I have 2 EDC guns that I pick from and it depends upon how I am able to dress. Standard is my Glock 19 and winter does bring with it the ability to wear bulkier clothing which makes carry that much easier. Warmer weather was much easier thanks to my new G42. As a rule it is my 9mm first anywhere we go but the slimmer G42 gives me a lot more options without radically changing everything about my carry gun...still point-and-shoot even if it is a bit thinner.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have been carrying a S&W snubby in .38 special a lot this summer. Easy to conceal.
    Now that I can wear a long sweat shirt it is back to the 1911 and I feel so much better.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Something to think about for winter carry...

Are you able to draw your gun quickly with a heavy coat on? Can you access your spare mag or mags? Are you able to access your gun with either hand with your coat on?

Is your plan to unzip your coat, or raise it up to access your gun? Can you do it one handed?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I try to wear a coat as little as possible, but when I do, I slip a j-frame in the pocket since the coat will likely foul my draw from aiwb.

snafu21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    The only change I make is putting on a coat that doesn't get zipped up 95% of the time. Seeing as I OC, it just means I have to clear a coat or light jacket.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I change nothing except my outer garment. Full size Sig P320 here with a knife, dual mag pouch and flashlight on weak side. I make sure I can clear my coat if necessary.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    No change for winter/summer. The same gun and round should work for either. I do like to use a shoulder rig in winter just because I can still access the gun with the coat zipped partially.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Change? No, not necessarily but I do add to the rotation or change method of carry. For example, I haven't really found a good method for carry while wearing bib overalls so I'll throw the .357 snubbie into the front strong side pocket. Have also tried the G27 in a belly band under the bibs a time or two, and even resorted to ankle carry in the winter.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    I'm mostly consistent throughout the year. I switch between my Shield 9 and my full size M&P9. For the FS in the winter I wear it OWB more in my Safariland 7TS ALS holster under my larger winter coat. I don't OC but I am more comfortable with OWB in the winter. Sometimes I do IWB in my Henry Holsters IWB hybrid. But overall it doesn't change much. My guns don't change.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    In the winter I carry my G23 OWB with a fleece or jacket covering it. If hunting, it goes in a thigh rig instead of under all my hunting clothes. My summer piece is a Kahr PM9 in a pocket rig usually. While I love the way the PM9 carries, I hate the way I shoot it. I am sooooooo much more accurate with the glock.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Whether you change your gear or not, make sure you know (not think you know) that you can:

• Access all of your tools the way you really dress when it's cold
    • Shoot effectively dressed that way, especially if you wear gloves (using the gloves you really do wear)
    • Access adequate gear with your dominant hand only and your support hand only

Also, make sure that you know your gun(s) function in low temperatures with your carry ammo lubed the way your gun will be lubed.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My EDC remains the same, but I will add a 3rd gun to have one in the pocket of top coat when I have to stand around outside.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I will carry a BUG more often in weak side pocket, but the main gun stays appendix. A few of my jackets allow the bottom part of the zipper to stay unzipped allowing pretty quick access to the appendix position.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Been going between my Kahr CM9 and S&W 4566TSW depending on it being day or night. Once it's cold and stays cold I'll probably stick with the Smith until Spring time. Wearing it IWB or OWB, still concealable with a coat.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    My EDC is a Dan Wesson Guardian 9 mm. I use WC mags. I have 10 + 1. A spare mag brings me to 21 rounds. My only change in the winter is when I go to the mall around Christmas. I will take a third mag or go with my Sig 226 ... 15 + 1 and a couple of spares gives me a great comfort level.

Top Bottom